58% Want English-Only Ballots

In order to vote you have to be a citizen. To become a citizen you have to know some English. Why do they print ballots in other languages?

58% Want English-Only Ballots - Rasmussen Reports™

In order to be a citizen, you do have to know "some" English. I think they print ballots in other languages in order to make it possible for those who knew enough English to become a citizen to vote, but who might not be able to understand the writing on the ballots. As you know, ballots contain more than just names. They also contain detailed arguments pro and con on the people running and the issues before the electorate.

Don't forget, this is America. You know that lady who stands in the harbor in New York, right?

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

In order to vote you have to be a citizen. To become a citizen you have to know some English. Why do they print ballots in other languages?

Probably because the amount of English you need to know to acquire citizenship doesn't necessarily guarantee that you comprehend written English well enough to decipher the initiative descriptions on the ballot, and a lot of immigrants feel more comfortable with their native, and more fluent, language.

Not saying I agree with the idea, but I'd say that's the most likely reason.

Probably because the amount of English you need to know to acquire citizenship doesn't necessarily guarantee that you comprehend written English well enough to decipher the initiative descriptions on the ballot, and a lot of immigrants feel more comfortable with their native, and more fluent, language.

Not saying I agree with the idea, but I'd say that's the most likely reason.

good point! As evidenced by posters on here many born in America cannot understand written english very well ;)

In order to be a citizen, you do have to know "some" English. I think they print ballots in other languages in order to make it possible for those who knew enough English to become a citizen to vote, but who might not be able to understand the writing on the ballots. As you know, ballots contain more than just names. They also contain detailed arguments pro and con on the people running and the issues before the electorate.

Don't forget, this is America. You know that lady who stands in the harbor in New York, right?

Emma Lazarus, 1883

They know some english, but don't understand the writing:confused: Secondly, are you suggesting that they are using the ballot to inform themselves of candidate's positions, and issues? They have no prior knowledge? How did they know where to go to vote? Are street signs in hebrew?

Requirements to become a US Citizen are as follows, I believe

1. Are at least 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident ("green card" holder);
2. Have resided continuously in the United States, having been lawfully admitted for permanent residence, for five years immediately preceding the date you filed your application for naturalization, or
3. Have, after having been removed from conditional permanent resident status, based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen, having resided in the United States for one year after the date the condition was removed;

4. Have resided continuously in the United States at all times after your application to the time and date of your admission for citizenship;
5. Have, during all periods of time referred to above, been and still are a person of good moral character;
6. Have no outstanding deportation or removal order and no pending deportation or removal proceeding;
7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;
8. Have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government;
9. Are attached to, and can support, the principles of the U.S. Constitution and can swear allegiance to the United States.

Condition 2 requires that you have lived in the US for 5 years, and condition 3 that you have lived here for 3 years (2 years conditional residence, plus 1 additional year). So, in order to become a US citizen, you must have lived here for a minimum of 3 years.

How can you not learn enough English to fill out a ballot sheet in 3 years?

Because liberals despise everything US and pander to and embrace all things foreign..

In the progressive mind being a US citizen and speaking English should be an embarrassment, because we're the "big bad ignorant wolf" in the world allegedly.

Its the liberals goal to get as many foreigners here as possible, preferably ethnic foreigners because they absolutely despise the notion we're majority Caucasian and speak English...

You have to destroy culture before you can create the communist state. Of course the non-English speakers will vote for the communists because its the communists that pander to them, and support them with taxpayer dollars...

So it has to do with disgust and communism...

Because to do otherwise would be un-Constitutional:

Arizona voters passed an English-only law as an Amendment to the Arizona Constitution adopted through a petition drive that culminated in a general election in November 1988. The Amendment provides that English was the official language of the State of Arizona, and that the State and its political subdivisions must "act" only in English. In April 1998, the Arizona Supreme Court held that the amendment violated the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in that it adversely impacted the constitutional rights of non-English speaking persons regarding access to their government, and that it limited political speech of elected officials and public employees. The court also held that the amendment violates the EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE of the FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT to the United States Constitution in that it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate STATE INTEREST. Plaintiffs in the case were four elected officials, five state employees, and one public school teacher. All plaintiffs are bilingual and regularly communicated in both Spanish and English as private citizens and during the performance of government business. The court noted that although 21 states and 40 municipalities have official English statutes, most of those provisions are substantially less encompassing and less proscriptive than Arizona's Amendment. In mid January 1998, the U.S. Supreme Court denied review of the case, then known as Ruiz v. Hull, 191 Ariz. 441, 957 P.2d 984 (1998).

English-Only Laws - Further Readings - Language, Official, Government, Court, United, and Amendment

A given jurisdiction may establish English as its ‘official language’ but must still accommodate non-English speakers.

And as we all know Puerto Ricans are American citizens, with equal voting rights once they reside in the US proper. Many Puerto Ricans do not speak English. You may not compel an American citizen to learn English as a condition of exercising his Constitutional right to vote.

Because to do otherwise would be un-Constitutional:

Arizona voters passed an English-only law as an Amendment to the Arizona Constitution adopted through a petition drive that culminated in a general election in November 1988. The Amendment provides that English was the official language of the State of Arizona, and that the State and its political subdivisions must "act" only in English. In April 1998, the Arizona Supreme Court held that the amendment violated the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in that it adversely impacted the constitutional rights of non-English speaking persons regarding access to their government, and that it limited political speech of elected officials and public employees. The court also held that the amendment violates the EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE of the FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT to the United States Constitution in that it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate STATE INTEREST. Plaintiffs in the case were four elected officials, five state employees, and one public school teacher. All plaintiffs are bilingual and regularly communicated in both Spanish and English as private citizens and during the performance of government business. The court noted that although 21 states and 40 municipalities have official English statutes, most of those provisions are substantially less encompassing and less proscriptive than Arizona's Amendment. In mid January 1998, the U.S. Supreme Court denied review of the case, then known as Ruiz v. Hull, 191 Ariz. 441, 957 P.2d 984 (1998).

English-Only Laws - Further Readings - Language, Official, Government, Court, United, and Amendment

A given jurisdiction may establish English as its ‘official language’ but must still accommodate non-English speakers.

And as we all know Puerto Ricans are American citizens, with equal voting rights once they reside in the US proper. Many Puerto Ricans do not speak English. You may not compel an American citizen to learn English as a condition of exercising his Constitutional right to vote.

Sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Political-cartoon_on_immigration-tsunami-statue-of-liberty.jpg

Emma Lazarus, 1883

They know some english, but don't understand the writing:confused: Secondly, are you suggesting that they are using the ballot to inform themselves of candidate's positions, and issues? They have no prior knowledge? How did they know where to go to vote? Are street signs in hebrew?

Oh, come on - you know damn well what I am talking about. You can know enough English to become a citizen, but still not be able to comprehend the description of issues and positions of candidates as printed on ballots (in WRITING).

Read some of the other posts on this thread that say the same thing in a slightly different way if you are having trouble with the way I present it.

Because liberals despise everything US and pander to and embrace all things foreign..

In the progressive mind being a US citizen and speaking English should be an embarrassment, because we're the "big bad ignorant wolf" in the world allegedly.

Its the liberals goal to get as many foreigners here as possible, preferably ethnic foreigners because they absolutely despise the notion we're majority Caucasian and speak English...

You have to destroy culture before you can create the communist state. Of course the non-English speakers will vote for the communists because its the communists that pander to them, and support them with taxpayer dollars...

Have to make it party political?

Political-cartoon_on_immigration-tsunami-statue-of-liberty.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . and I don't totally disagree with this cartoon either. I live in Southern California, where white folks are definitely in the minority and getting lower and lower in the percentages every day. San Gabriel, California is 85% Hispanic. There are only three white families on my block - us, Woody and Boar's Nest. All the rest? Asian.

But I still think that ballots should be in various languages.

Have to make it party political?

I do believe,
That Mr. Nick,
Is, well, a . . . . .

Forum List

Back