57% support Arizona law..17% want it even tougher!

Arizona's action has not been found legal. The people who are telling you the two states are identical are telling you a whopper. I googled the Rhode Island order and it doesn't go nearly as far as Arizona. RI does not try to impose new policy priorities for arrest and detention. Arizona attempts to impose new policies which directly differ from federal law. In strict legal terms, that's as big a difference as night and day. Anyone who told you the two states are exactly the same in how they treat the issue was selling you a bill of goods.

OMG.

OK, lets see how to explain this to you.

Gun law: A local cop pulls a guy over with a fully auto AK47 in his trunk. Citizens can legally have rifles in their trunks. But federal law bans full auto. Thats the fed job, not state/local. As been practiced for decades, local cop detains driver and hands him over to ATF.

AZ law: A local cop pulls a guy over for simple speeding, and since he speaks no English, presents a Mexican DL, and his name and birth-date are not coming up in computer, he asks him if he is here illegally. Driver answers "Si". Cop detains him and hands him over to ICE.

Terrorism: A local cop pulls a guy over for simple speeding. The guy appears Muslim, speaks Arabic, had a laptop open while driving but quickly shuts it when cop approaches, and has pipes, fireworks, wires in the trunk. He's driving towards a military base. Cop detains him and hands him over to the FBI (actual case in SC).

None of the 3 differ. All involve a local cop, who realized a federal law which he cannot enforce may be violated, and he detains them and hands them over to proper federal authority. Thats what Arizona is doing. They are making new immigration law. They aren't making Obama's enforcement priorities. Obama is free to release all of AZ's detainees right the hell in the middle of Phoenix if they want.

The lesson is: You can't commit a federal offense right in front of a local cop and just be let go because there isn't a federal agent nearby. Local cops can and do detain people for federal offenses. This is the same thing. Thats why it will hold up in court.

You obviously do not know the ways in which Arizona's law differs from federal law. It also appears that you have not read Rhode Island's executive order. I suggest you read all of them and then you'll see the obvious differences.

It doesn't differ. It is nearly a cut and paste of the federal law outlining who is an illegal immigrant.

All the AZ law does is give the cops the authority to "detain", not "arrest", a person suspected of being an illegal immigrant and hand them over to ICE. Prior to the law, if one was "arrested" for a seperate charge, like murder, drugs, theft, etc, they could inform ICE who would pick them up. Now, the arrest is not necessary. The inital PC for an unrelated offense to stop them is still required. But, if they aren't arrested, they can now be detained and handed over to ICE. Thats exactly what it is. What ICE does with them then is irrelevant to AZ, as only the feds can deport them.

Well, fellas, I gotta go for now. But at the end of my day, here is the finality:

Bfgrn........You did the following:

You committed occupational profiling by saying "YES all cops will no doubt profile Hispanic". You profiled all cops and assumed they are all prejudice.

You committed racial profiling by saying "Yes most illegals in Arizona are Hispanic". Thus, committing the exact same racial profiling offense you are accusing the right of doing. You bigot.

You then said I was soft on crime, as I was saying we need to enforce immigration laws........then called me a fascist, who is soft on crime.............then said I was anti-freedom....right after saying I was soft on crime.

Well, boys, when the true liberal mind shows itself as it did in Bfgrn's meltdown, it's time to call it a day.

See you later.

You ignorant moron. ALL cops have one thing citizens don't have...POWER.

I am stating FACTS. You can try to twist it anyway your little right wing pea brain prefers...but it doesn't change the fact you right wing assholes are fascists.

Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik
Dupnik had harsh words for anyone who thinks SB 1070 will not lead to racial profiling. "If I tell my people to go out and look for A, B, and C, they're going to do it. They'll find some flimsy excuse like a tail light that's not working as a basis for a stop, which is a bunch of baloney."

About Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik

dupnik_photo_web_color.jpg

A veteran of over 50 years in local law enforcement, Clarence W. Dupnik has served as the Sheriff of Pima County, Arizona, since his appointment in February 1980. County voters endorsed the choice nine months later by electing him to his first four-year term, and ratified that decision by re-electing him six additional times.

Then that Sheriff is being a racist for telling his deputies to go look for "A, B, or C". The deputies will do their job EXACTLY as they did before. Only now, when they encouter a suspected illegal, they'll hand them over to ICE rather than letting them drive off. ICE can release them at the steps of Phoenix City Hall if they want after that.

So, you say you are stating "FACTS" when you say of course all cops will use prejudice? Wow. Didn't know profiling a group of people was now a fact.

What are you like 14 years old? Your logic and debating skills are extremely subpar.

And as it stands, you are the only one who has practiced racial profiling on this board when you said yourself almost all illegal aliens are Hispanic.

I feel bad, I shouldn't be picking on juveniles.

So, a question. Is it "fascist" for a country to have a border and enforce it? Is Sovereignty = Fascism????

And finally, you say cops have one thing other people don't: POWER. Well, thats YOUR victim mentality kicking in. Cops have power. Yes. So do you. People can vote. They can sue cops for wrongdoing. They can prosecute cops for illegal acts. It's only libtards like you who like being the victim. And who like racial profiling, since only the left is profiling immigrants.

Hey pea brain...would you feel the same about this law, if everyone that LOOKED like this was under suspicion and could be stopped and detained???

Family%20Pic%20-%20Black%20and%20white%20001.JPG

It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
Thomas Jefferson

Luckily this law does not allow enforcement officials to stop someone based on how they look, it actually specifically does not allow for racial profiling.

Only if a person is stopped by police due to breaking a law, other than immigation laws, and can not produce valid ID can they be asked citizenship status.

Who told you the lie that got you all fired up? I would be pissed too if I was fed that false information and believed it. Thankfully I read the actual law.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Do yourself a favor and get educated by reading the actual document so that you don't get made a fool by those online who would sell you lies.

Who told me? L-I-F-E you naive asshole. Profiling happens every day without draconian fascist laws like this one...

The Dupnik rebellion: Pima's top cop says "no" to SB 1070

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Pima County's top lawman says he has no intention of enforcing Arizona's controversial crackdown on illegal immigration. Sheriff Clarence Dupnik calls SB 1070 "racist," "disgusting," and "unnecessary."

Speaking Tuesday morning with KGUN9's Steve Nunez, Dupnik made it clear that while he will not comply with the provisions of the new law, nor will he let illegal immigrants go free. "We're going to keep doing what we've been doing all along," Dupnik said. "We're going to stop and detain these people for the Border Patrol."

The sheriff acknowledged that this course of action could get him hauled into court. SB 1070 allows citizens to sue any law enforcement official who doesn't comply with the law. But Dupnik told Nunez that SB 1070 would force his deputies to adopt racial profiling as an enforcement tactic, which Dupnik says could also get him sued. "So we're kind of in a damned if we do, damned if we don't situation. It's just a stupid law."

Dupnik had harsh words for anyone who thinks SB 1070 will not lead to racial profiling. "If I tell my people to go out and look for A, B, and C, they're going to do it. They'll find some flimsy excuse like a tail light that's not working as a basis for a stop, which is a bunch of baloney."

A veteran of over 50 years in local law enforcement, Clarence W. Dupnik has served as the Sheriff of Pima County, Arizona, since his appointment in February 1980. County voters endorsed the choice nine months later by electing him to his first four-year term, and ratified that decision by re-electing him six additional times.

HAHA! That Sheriff is playing politics. I was a cop for 8 years. You are never "forced" to do anything. There is no illegal alien quota in the bill. And he can't "tell his deputies to go find A, B or C" or HE would be guilty of profiling. He can only "force" his deputies to enforce the laws fairly and lawfully, and to direct them to duties for particular actions, not people, such as burglaries or car theft trends. He CAN NOT say "Go round up some Asians". THAT is illegal as an order.

The only thing his deputies are going to be required to do is to do their job as usual, and if they come across someone during a lawful stop that they feel is an illegal alien, they hand them over to ICE and let ICE deal with it.

Did you notice Sheriff Dupnik is the ONLY AZ Sheriff speaking against it, while tens of others are on TV praising it??????

But just answer at least three easy questions for me. Should we have a border at all? And should it be enforced?

Third, if you say NO to either of the above, at what number of people out of Earth's 6-billion do we say "No Vacancy"????

I can understand why people would favor the law since the feds have not been successful. I can also understand why federal courts will find the law unconstitutional since states clearly do hot have the constitutional right to make immigration laws.

All this will put pressure on the Congress to come up will real immigration reform, however with political division being what it is, I doubt any meaningful law is forthcoming. Passing laws based on ideology instead of reality, won't solve our problems.

Well, fellas, I gotta go for now. But at the end of my day, here is the finality:

Bfgrn........You did the following:

You committed occupational profiling by saying "YES all cops will no doubt profile Hispanic". You profiled all cops and assumed they are all prejudice.

You committed racial profiling by saying "Yes most illegals in Arizona are Hispanic". Thus, committing the exact same racial profiling offense you are accusing the right of doing. You bigot.

You then said I was soft on crime, as I was saying we need to enforce immigration laws........then called me a fascist, who is soft on crime.............then said I was anti-freedom....right after saying I was soft on crime.

Well, boys, when the true liberal mind shows itself as it did in Bfgrn's meltdown, it's time to call it a day.

See you later.

You ignorant moron. ALL cops have one thing citizens don't have...POWER.

I am stating FACTS. You can try to twist it anyway your little right wing pea brain prefers...but it doesn't change the fact you right wing assholes are fascists.

Then that Sheriff is being a racist for telling his deputies to go look for "A, B, or C". The deputies will do their job EXACTLY as they did before. Only now, when they encouter a suspected illegal, they'll hand them over to ICE rather than letting them drive off. ICE can release them at the steps of Phoenix City Hall if they want after that.

So, you say you are stating "FACTS" when you say of course all cops will use prejudice? Wow. Didn't know profiling a group of people was now a fact.

What are you like 14 years old? Your logic and debating skills are extremely subpar.

And as it stands, you are the only one who has practiced racial profiling on this board when you said yourself almost all illegal aliens are Hispanic.

I feel bad, I shouldn't be picking on juveniles.

So, a question. Is it "fascist" for a country to have a border and enforce it? Is Sovereignty = Fascism????

And finally, you say cops have one thing other people don't: POWER. Well, thats YOUR victim mentality kicking in. Cops have power. Yes. So do you. People can vote. They can sue cops for wrongdoing. They can prosecute cops for illegal acts. It's only libtards like you who like being the victim. And who like racial profiling, since only the left is profiling immigrants.

The ONLY country that borders Arizona is WHAT country you moron? China? Canada? USSR? Iceland?

YOU are the one that added the word "ALL" police profile, not me. I say TOO many do. IF you were REALLY a cop for 8 years, you KNOW what goes on and you are a lying sack of shit, unless you are Barney Fife and you live in Mayberry...:lol::lol::lol:

FACTS:

Racial profiling in Arizona? That’s nothing new, critics say

Reporting from Phoenix —-- As the country debates whether a tough new Arizona law against illegal immigration will lead to racial profiling, Latino activists and civil rights attorneys contend that profiling is already a reality in the Maricopa County, where two-thirds of the state's residents live.

For three years, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been arguably the most aggressive law enforcement official in the country in using his powers to enforce federal immigration laws. Most prominently, since 2008 he has sent hundreds of his deputies and sworn volunteers on "sweeps" through immigrant-heavy neighborhoods, where they stop jaywalkers or drivers with broken taillights and ask for identification and immigration information. An analysis by civil rights lawyers found 70% of those arrested in these operations have Spanish surnames. Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix and Scottsdale, is only 31% Latino, the majority of whom are legal residents or U.S. citizens.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer claims majority of illegal immigrants are drug mules
Posted on June 27, 2010 by Bentcorner

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has bade up a new excuse for Arizona’s new anti-immigration law, SB 1070. It’s because most of the brown skinned people flooding across the boarder have black tar heroin strapped to their backs and they want to give it to your children.

From CNN:

“Well, we all know that the majority of the people that are coming to Arizona and trespassing are now becoming drug mules,” Brewer said. “They’re coming across our borders in huge numbers. The drug cartels have taken control of the immigration.

“So they are criminals. They’re breaking the law when they are trespassing and they’re criminals when they pack the marijuana and the drugs on their backs.”

Drugs on their backs? Back when I was a child, the favorite racist slur for people of Hispanic decent was the word wetback. The basis of the slur referred to people coming to the United States by swimming across a river. The slur always seemed especially stupid considering the fact that when someone swims, their entire body generally gets wet, not just their back.

If Jan Brewer honestly thinks a majority of people immigrating to this country from Mexico illegally have drugs on their back, how long until she and other like-minded people start referring to Hispanic people as drugbacks?

bucs90

3758-DEFAULT-m.jpg
AndyGriffithShowBarneyFifeExpressio.jpg

The proof is on the officer and the state to prove they're here illegally. The best thing you liberals can do is advise your new illegal friends to keep their mouths shut and only provide only their names when asked if not in a car for example. Residence, SSN, place of business, are not required.

Hey pea brain...would you feel the same about this law, if everyone that LOOKED like this was under suspicion and could be stopped and detained???

Family%20Pic%20-%20Black%20and%20white%20001.JPG

It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
Thomas Jefferson

Luckily this law does not allow enforcement officials to stop someone based on how they look, it actually specifically does not allow for racial profiling.

Only if a person is stopped by police due to breaking a law, other than immigation laws, and can not produce valid ID can they be asked citizenship status.

Who told you the lie that got you all fired up? I would be pissed too if I was fed that false information and believed it. Thankfully I read the actual law.

Do yourself a favor and get educated by reading the actual document so that you don't get made a fool by those online who would sell you lies.

Who told me? L-I-F-E you naive asshole.

Thank you for exposing your ignorance on the topic..

Dont forgot to point out where this bill allows for racial profiling.....make sure to close your eyes at the part that specifically prohibits it if you actually read the 17 pages.

Who told me? L-I-F-E you naive asshole.

Thank you for exposing your ignorance on the topic..

Dont forgot to point out where this bill allows for racial profiling.....make sure to close your eyes at the part that specifically prohibits it if you actually read the 17 pages.

I don't care what the bill SAYS... do you REALLY believe profiling won't occur?

There was a time I thought you might be a decent human being...that has been smashed, by you. You are nothing but a right wing pea brain.

HOW much clearer can this law's intent be when the Republican Governor speaks in this clearly racist and ignorant way?

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer claims majority of illegal immigrants are drug mules
Posted on June 27, 2010 by Bentcorner

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has bade up a new excuse for Arizona’s new anti-immigration law, SB 1070. It’s because most of the brown skinned people flooding across the boarder have black tar heroin strapped to their backs and they want to give it to your children.

From CNN:

“Well, we all know that the majority of the people that are coming to Arizona and trespassing are now becoming drug mules,” Brewer said. “They’re coming across our borders in huge numbers. The drug cartels have taken control of the immigration.

“So they are criminals. They’re breaking the law when they are trespassing and they’re criminals when they pack the marijuana and the drugs on their backs.”

Drugs on their backs? Back when I was a child, the favorite racist slur for people of Hispanic decent was the word wetback. The basis of the slur referred to people coming to the United States by swimming across a river. The slur always seemed especially stupid considering the fact that when someone swims, their entire body generally gets wet, not just their back.

If Jan Brewer honestly thinks a majority of people immigrating to this country from Mexico illegally have drugs on their back, how long until she and other like-minded people start referring to Hispanic people as drugbacks?

Unlike you I dont assume police are going to violate the laws and behave as you are fearful of.

Yeah its happened in the past but the vast majority of law enforcement officials are good, upstanding, human beings.

Unlike you I dont assume police are going to violate the laws and behave as you are fearful of.

Yeah its happened in the past but the vast majority of law enforcement officials are good, upstanding, human beings.

Every guy I went to school with who became a cop was a thug and a juvenile delinquent. They became thugs WITH badges.

The most likely place to find an arson??? FIRE Dept.

Robins and Blue Jays don't nest together...

and what percentage of the southern population do you think would vote for jim crow laws if there was a vote on them today?

:cuckoo:

Indeed. I do believe my sig would fit well here.

i do believe you're correct.

and last i checked the whole purpose of the constitution was to make sure that people were protected from that type of tyrannical hatred.

Thanks. As a former Atlanta PD for 8 years, I appreciate those who realize the corrupt cops truly are the 5% or less of the force. That said, often times that 5% has far more interaction with the public than the other 95% because of their aggressive attitudes, or just the bad impression they leave that is unforgettable.

Bfgrn is just a childish kid. He has probably been busted a few times for dope or reckless driving and now hates all cops.

He also dodged my question of does the US even need a border, should our border be sealed, and if "no" to either question, at what population of the 6-billion in the world do we eventually put up a "No vacancy" sign.

His genius response was that Arizona only borders ONE country, Mexico. As if only Mexicans are crossing the border and no one from any other nationality.

He has about 10-15 years of growing up and maturing to do before his brain fully develops.

And Bfgrn, yes, I do know what goes on behind the scenes at police departments. And knowing what you don't, you should thank every cop you see for protecting you from what truly goes on behind the scenes and in the shadows at night in your own hood. You would be shocked if you truly knew. Everyone would. Suburbs, country, ghetto, it doesn't matter, the avg citizen has no freakin' clue how close danger is at any moment, and how the thin blue line prevents their safety and that danger from ever meeting. Somewhere nearby right now there are "thugs" who wouldn't hesitate to rob and murder you if given the chance, but they won't because also nearby is a cop with a radio, gun and badge willing to protect your sorry ass as you sit on your moms laptop bashing cops. God Bless America.

i do believe you're correct.

and last i checked the whole purpose of the constitution was to make sure that people were protected from that type of tyrannical hatred.

Tyranny of the Majority, as forwarded by for example Madison. Madison's formula was woefully ineffective sadly.

and what percentage of the southern population do you think would vote for jim crow laws if there was a vote on them today?

:cuckoo:

Very few. Remember, Obama won. He couldn't have done it without the white vote and without the Southern vote.

Sealing the border has nothing to do with race. I wouldn't want a bunch of under-educated wage depressing Swedes or Russians flooding in here either.

Very few. Remember, Obama won. He couldn't have done it without the white vote and without the Southern vote.

Sealing the border has nothing to do with race. I wouldn't want a bunch of under-educated wage depressing Swedes or Russians flooding in here either.

:eusa_eh:

$map3.jpg

:eusa_eh:

View attachment 10863

And the point? VA, NC, FL, Obama won. He won a lot of individual counties in the South, although maybe not the particular state.

Thats kind of a bigoted premise to assume all Southerners are racist and therefore would vote for Jim Crow laws even today. In fact, the cases of high racial tension we see in the news today is coming from: LA, Oakland, Phoenix, Chicago, Detoit, New York, Boston, Berkeley, Cincinatti, Philly, Pittsburgh, Jersey, etc, etc. I am truly proud of the way in which people of all races have learned to live together in the South with fewer big incidents of racial tension than the rest of the country.

In fact, taking into account the conditions in the South in the 50's and 60's compared to the rest of America, and looking at the South's race relations now compared with the rest of the country, I'd say the South has made 10X more progress in race relations than the rest of the country. Maybe because we have fewer major cities, or maybe we've gotten used to one another, or who knows. But it seems for every 1 incident of racial tension in the South, there are 10 more nationwide.

My theory? The last couple generations of Southerners have tried harder to make racial relation progress because of our past, where that effort is not as strong in other parts of the country where there wasn't a stigma attached to their people from birth as being racists. And now, the rest of the country is trying to come to terms with race relations and having difficulty, while in my opinion, much of the South has already done so.

Of course, some will say I'm crazy and the South is more racist than anywhere else. I'd also bet they've never lived here very long. In my visits across the South, the people of Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, Memhpis, get along great with very little racial tension compared to that in Detroit, Philly, Oakland, LA, NY. The one Southern city I will say hasn't moved past race is New Orleans. In large part due to Mayor Ray Nagin.

And the point? VA, NC, FL, Obama won. He won a lot of individual counties in the South, although maybe not the particular state.

Thats kind of a bigoted premise to assume all Southerners are racist and therefore would vote for Jim Crow laws even today. In fact, the cases of high racial tension we see in the news today is coming from: LA, Oakland, Phoenix, Chicago, Detoit, New York, Boston, Berkeley, Cincinatti, Philly, Pittsburgh, Jersey, etc, etc. I am truly proud of the way in which people of all races have learned to live together in the South with fewer big incidents of racial tension than the rest of the country.

In fact, taking into account the conditions in the South in the 50's and 60's compared to the rest of America, and looking at the South's race relations now compared with the rest of the country, I'd say the South has made 10X more progress in race relations than the rest of the country. Maybe because we have fewer major cities, or maybe we've gotten used to one another, or who knows. But it seems for every 1 incident of racial tension in the South, there are 10 more nationwide.

My theory? The last couple generations of Southerners have tried harder to make racial relation progress because of our past, where that effort is not as strong in other parts of the country where there wasn't a stigma attached to their people from birth as being racists. And now, the rest of the country is trying to come to terms with race relations and having difficulty, while in my opinion, much of the South has already done so.

Of course, some will say I'm crazy and the South is more racist than anywhere else. I'd also bet they've never lived here very long. In my visits across the South, the people of Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, Memhpis, get along great with very little racial tension compared to that in Detroit, Philly, Oakland, LA, NY. The one Southern city I will say hasn't moved past race is New Orleans. In large part due to Mayor Ray Nagin.

1.) Despite what you said, he didn't win the Southern Vote.

2.) Nobody said all people from the south are racist. Jillian is accurately remarking in some parts of the South that today Jim Crow laws would likely still exist.

3.) I'd stop randomly naming places if I were you.

4.) Link for your every 1, there's 10 statistics? If not, I call bullshit.

Thanks. As a former Atlanta PD for 8 years, I appreciate those who realize the corrupt cops truly are the 5% or less of the force. That said, often times that 5% has far more interaction with the public than the other 95% because of their aggressive attitudes, or just the bad impression they leave that is unforgettable.

Bfgrn is just a childish kid. He has probably been busted a few times for dope or reckless driving and now hates all cops.

He also dodged my question of does the US even need a border, should our border be sealed, and if "no" to either question, at what population of the 6-billion in the world do we eventually put up a "No vacancy" sign.

His genius response was that Arizona only borders ONE country, Mexico. As if only Mexicans are crossing the border and no one from any other nationality.

He has about 10-15 years of growing up and maturing to do before his brain fully develops.

And Bfgrn, yes, I do know what goes on behind the scenes at police departments. And knowing what you don't, you should thank every cop you see for protecting you from what truly goes on behind the scenes and in the shadows at night in your own hood. You would be shocked if you truly knew. Everyone would. Suburbs, country, ghetto, it doesn't matter, the avg citizen has no freakin' clue how close danger is at any moment, and how the thin blue line prevents their safety and that danger from ever meeting. Somewhere nearby right now there are "thugs" who wouldn't hesitate to rob and murder you if given the chance, but they won't because also nearby is a cop with a radio, gun and badge willing to protect your sorry ass as you sit on your moms laptop bashing cops. God Bless America.

Yea asshole, my sons best friend took criminal justice in college, made it through boot camp with flying colors and was hired by a local Village Police force where the total crime index is 31 out of 100.

He resigned after 2 months because he had to decide between going along with police abuse, profiling and thuggery or stay true to his upbringing. God bless him...

There is NOTHING worse than a dirty cop. It is by far the most unpunished crime...

I witness kids getting pulled over every week in our suburb for bogus traffic violations, and it looks like a major crime scene...4- 5 squad cars converge, drug dogs, searches that are gained by intimidation and threats.

I have lived in a liberal America and your conservative scum bag America. All my years growing up in the 50's and 60's, I was NEVER stopped and harassed by the police in the SAME town. And none of my friends were either. You right wing scum bags want a police state...go FUCK yourself sonny boy.

Forum List

Back