5500 US Deserters so far

T-Bor

May 24, 2006
Give or take a few of course..

5.500 US soldiers deserted since the beginning of the war in Iraq

For seven months Joshua Key fought in Baghdad and Falludja. The private 1st class stormed civilians homes and arrested numerous Iraqis. Now Key doesn't fight anymore. He's one of about 200 US deserters that escaped to Canada. In total 250.000 US soldiers have been fighting in Iraq since the beginning of the war. 5.500 of them deserted. They couldn't find a way of justifying what they were doing anymore.

Key talked to SPIEGEL TV about the scruples he felt during his mission. "We don't find anything when we are storming those houses, but still we keep fighting these people. The worst thing for me was when we entered these houses and had to arrest sons and husbands. The kids and the women looked at me as if I was some kind of monster," Key told SPIEGEL.

Like numerous other soldiers Key was confronted with the daily horror of the war in Iraq. He saw his comrades play soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis, then storm houses and arrest civilians, although nothing incriminating had been found. After two months already, he began doubting the rightfulness and the purpose of his mission in Iraq.

"I went to Iraq to protect my country and my family", Key said. "I went there for honourable reasons. But when I saw that the US administration was doing something profoundly wrong over there, my perspective changed. If protecting my family and my country was what we are supposed to be doing in Iraq, I'd still be there. In the beginning I didn't know what the war was all about, if it was about oil or whatever. But one thing became obvious to me quite quickly: I clearly wasn't there to help the people or to bring them democracy."

The memories of his mission keep haunting Key to this day. Even today, almost two years after returning from Iraq, the father of four kids is still suffering from insomnia, chronic anxiety and depression.

Key and his family went into hiding in the US for 14 months, because upon returning home for vacation, Key instantly deserted. The family relocated every 30 days, moved from one motel into another. Since they were seeking shelter in Canada six months ago, their lives have become a little more peaceful and quiet. Still it's unclear how long the Key family will be able to stay in Canada. The Canadian Supreme Court is still holding proceedings about the question if US American deserters should be classified as political refugees.

The US has become a no-go-area for Key and his family. According to US military laws, Key would have to expect at least five years in prison or even
the death penalty. An amnesty by president Bush would be the only way to prevent this.

He saw his comrades play soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis

LOL thats sounds fucking awesome. Do they sell dead Iraqi heads as soccer balls? I'd like to buy one.

:finger3:

And most people that actually desert are complete losers, usually with some mental problems, and/or a history of problems while in the military.

Playing soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis? Does anyone actually believe this? Since when do American soldiers even decapitate Iraqis? Heck, since when do Americans actually play soccer?

An estimated 5,500 men and women have deserted since the invasion of Iraq, reflecting Washington's growing problems with troop morale.
Gee, I wonder why there is such a morale problem? I'm sure it has nothing to do with "peace activists" who keep "dissenting" i.e. exercising their "patriotic" duty to keep in front of a news camera or newspapers like the New York Times that focus on the negatives of these wars.

Yes all armies have their cowards and objectors, shame they didn't run straight out of the recruitment office before signing up to draw their pay cheque. I still can't believe those figures posted by Trebor, way too high, anyhoo, most deserters are sleeping off an almighty hangover somewhere or snuggled up to a girlfriend and are in no hurry to run back to war, but eventually do, so no matter how difficuilt you find it, shut the fuck up please.;)

T-Bor said:
Give or take a few of course..

5.500 US soldiers deserted since the beginning of the war in Iraq

For seven months Joshua Key fought in Baghdad and Falludja. The private 1st class stormed civilians homes and arrested numerous Iraqis. Now Key doesn't fight anymore. He's one of about 200 US deserters that escaped to Canada. In total 250.000 US soldiers have been fighting in Iraq since the beginning of the war. 5.500 of them deserted. They couldn't find a way of justifying what they were doing anymore.

Key talked to SPIEGEL TV about the scruples he felt during his mission. "We don't find anything when we are storming those houses, but still we keep fighting these people. The worst thing for me was when we entered these houses and had to arrest sons and husbands. The kids and the women looked at me as if I was some kind of monster," Key told SPIEGEL.

Like numerous other soldiers Key was confronted with the daily horror of the war in Iraq. He saw his comrades play soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis, then storm houses and arrest civilians, although nothing incriminating had been found. After two months already, he began doubting the rightfulness and the purpose of his mission in Iraq.

"I went to Iraq to protect my country and my family", Key said. "I went there for honourable reasons. But when I saw that the US administration was doing something profoundly wrong over there, my perspective changed. If protecting my family and my country was what we are supposed to be doing in Iraq, I'd still be there. In the beginning I didn't know what the war was all about, if it was about oil or whatever. But one thing became obvious to me quite quickly: I clearly wasn't there to help the people or to bring them democracy."

The memories of his mission keep haunting Key to this day. Even today, almost two years after returning from Iraq, the father of four kids is still suffering from insomnia, chronic anxiety and depression.

Key and his family went into hiding in the US for 14 months, because upon returning home for vacation, Key instantly deserted. The family relocated every 30 days, moved from one motel into another. Since they were seeking shelter in Canada six months ago, their lives have become a little more peaceful and quiet. Still it's unclear how long the Key family will be able to stay in Canada. The Canadian Supreme Court is still holding proceedings about the question if US American deserters should be classified as political refugees.

The US has become a no-go-area for Key and his family. According to US military laws, Key would have to expect at least five years in prison or even
the death penalty. An amnesty by president Bush would be the only way to prevent this.

First off nimrod, the deathj penalty is an option only for desertion under fire/in the face of the enemy.

He, like you, is a pussy, plain and simple. While not agreeing with his decision, I could at least respect the fact that it was his to make it if he acted like a man and was willing to face the consequences of his actions.

Kind of like if you had any balls you'd just go on and join one of the Middle Eastern terrorist organanizations dedicated to the destruction of the US instead of hiding out with the women and taking advantage fo freedoms you obviously wish to deny others.

Playing soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis? Does anyone actually believe this? ....
I don't, not for a second.

No US Soldier I have ever known would get crap on his boots like that.

It’s BS..IMO..I need proof! Not, this is my story and why I deserted BULLSHIT!

US military desertions are about half what they were in 2001:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-03-07-deserters_x.htm

(from the link):
The Army, Navy and Air Force reported 7,978 desertions in 2001, compared with 3,456 in 2005. The Marine Corps showed 1,603 Marines in desertion status in 2001. That had declined by 148 in 2005...

Desertions in 2005 represent 0.24% of the 1.4 million U.S. forces.

Playing soccer with the heads of dead Iraqis? Does anyone actually believe this? Since when do American soldiers even decapitate Iraqis? Heck, since when do Americans actually play soccer?

If they would have said playing football with a severed head, i might have believed it. We dont play soccer. Bah! This story is bull.

I spoke recently with a group of young ladies and men in uniform that had just returned from the War On Iraq. Their conversations with me confirmed they were no longer 'young". Many expressed a desire to resign their positions in the military for a full return to civilian duty but could not due to stop-gap measures or their overwhelming sense of loyalty to their friends and fellow soldiers. Many expressed to me their complete non-confidence in the decisions of their leaders from the top down. Many spoke openly about desertion, refusal of orders and the general immorality of the war as they understood and now understand it to be. Some sat quietly, just nodded their heads in agreement and understanding for what was being said and some wept.

This type of interview is not uncommon. It is, however, almost completely unreported. Although you may have to search them out for yourself, the attitudes of many if not most of our returning warriors is even worse than anything I ever witnessed post Viet Nam. There is plenty of blame for these reactions to spread around, but blaming the media for over reporting negatives to the exclsion of wartime positives is without foundation and untruthful from it's precept.

There is no question these young people went to war with open and highly impressionable minds. As they realized their youth, abilities and genuine Americaness was and are being exploited with lies, refusals of their superiors to admit complicity thus responsibility, the unsoundness of so many tactical and economic policies and the moronic actions and words of the Cheerleader-in-Chief, they are left with absolutely nothing to believe in or be especially proud of. Many have no intention of being exploited in this fashion again and they all have their own ways of dealing with it. May God Bless Them, All Of Them.

Psychoblues

Well PB. How about you publish these interviews? You have made several assertions that require us to take you on faith. It's been my experience that Reagan was right, "Trust but verify".

So, bring on the interviews that prove your points and do so in a professionally expeditious manner please.

Psychoblues said:
I spoke recently with a group of young ladies and men in uniform that had just returned from the War On Iraq. Their conversations with me confirmed they were no longer 'young". Many expressed a desire to resign their positions in the military for a full return to civilian duty but could not due to stop-gap measures or their overwhelming sense of loyalty to their friends and fellow soldiers. Many expressed to me their complete non-confidence in the decisions of their leaders from the top down. Many spoke openly about desertion, refusal of orders and the general immorality of the war as they understood and now understand it to be. Some sat quietly, just nodded their heads in agreement and understanding for what was being said and some wept.

This type of interview is not uncommon. It is, however, almost completely unreported. Although you may have to search them out for yourself, the attitudes of many if not most of our returning warriors is even worse than anything I ever witnessed post Viet Nam. There is plenty of blame for these reactions to spread around, but blaming the media for over reporting negatives to the exclsion of wartime positives is without foundation and untruthful from it's precept.

There is no question these young people went to war with open and highly impressionable minds. As they realized their youth, abilities and genuine Americaness was and are being exploited with lies, refusals of their superiors to admit complicity thus responsibility, the unsoundness of so many tactical and economic policies and the moronic actions and words of the Cheerleader-in-Chief, they are left with absolutely nothing to believe in or be especially proud of. Many have no intention of being exploited in this fashion again and they all have their own ways of dealing with it. May God Bless Them, All Of Them.

Psychoblues

With this Psycho, you made me physically sick. If you were 1/100th of what you claim, you'd be being interviewed by all MSM outlets. You are not, instead you have delusions of your reality through a drunken fog. Now you are bringing our best and brightest into it.

Shame, shame, shame. IF you ever really served, which I really doubt, you are a blight on the record of US military, from any branch. We know, you claim all branches. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back