55 Years Ago Today - I Have a Dream

MLK was pretty clear, no interpretation required.

“I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the American dream – one day this nation will rise up and live up to its creed, "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream...”

Yes he was pretty clear and those were not the only words he spoke. So try learning everything he said.
Did he speak about the Irish slaves?

He couldn't speak about non existent beings.
Are you ignorant of the Irish slaves or just a racist twat with no concept of reality?

Here is what I have searched for a nd learned known about "Irish Slaves". Based on what appeared to really happen to them, was their plight comparable to Black slaves.?

Were they able to re enter society as full citizens with no restrictions that were similar to Jim Crow?

Just curious.

No, the Irish Were Not Slaves Too
being able to re enter society does not dismiss the fact that they were slaves beforehand

I have a dream that you misspelled milk and left out the I. Whites like you really have no business trying to interpret what King would think. For it was whites like you who opposed him in life and today whites like you would be calling him a race pimp.

“I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the American dream – one day this nation will rise up and live up to its creed, "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream...”

Yes he was pretty clear and those were not the only words he spoke. So try learning everything he said.

Are you ignorant of the Irish slaves or just a racist twat with no concept of reality?

Neither. I am aware of Irish scholars who say the Irish were never slaves. That's another fact you need to learn.

Historian Liam Hogan has spent the last six years debunking the Irish slave myth.

Call it "fake history." Whenever people on social media start talking slavery, reparations, and race, some Internet troll will jump up and demand, "What about the Irish?" Over the past few years, the myth of Irish slavery has found fertile ground in Internet memes as a way to derail any conversation about historical complicity for white folks in the slave trade or the need for affirmative action today. If the Irish escaped from slavery to general inclusion and prosperity, the false and racist argument goes, then African Americans can do likewise. Fortunately, whenever this claim starts to get traction, a librarian from Limerick steps forward to debunk it.

More.

How did you get started debunking the Irish slave myth online?

Around 2012, I read Nini Rodgers' ground-breaking book Ireland, Slavery and Anti-Slavery, which looked at Ireland in the context of the Black Atlantic world and racial slavery in Colonial America. She concluded that these European slavocracies had a major impact on Ireland. On a local level I was stunned to discover such details that Frederick Douglass spoke in Limerick or that Limerick merchants attempted to set up a slave trading company in 1784. It was a surreal feeling to discover that the 18th-century building that I worked in was built by Philip Roche, the most successful provisioner of the British West Indies in Limerick.

I then set out to explore Limerick's historical relationship with racial slavery and began to publish articles from an Irish perspective. I noticed that the most popular comment below one article was a piece of propaganda full of basic errors and false equivalences that suggested, "We were slaves too," I soon realized that this was a copy-and-paste text which had proliferated all over the social Web. It needed to be challenged.

So what is the reality about the history of Irish unfree colonial labor?

While the majority of Irish people who became indentured servants in the colonies did so willingly (why they felt they had to so is, of course, another question), a not insignificant number were forcibly deported and sold into indentured servitude. This peaked just after the brutal Cromwellian conquest of Ireland when there were orders given in multiple counties to round up and deport those who, it was claimed, could not support themselves.

Indentured servitude was more insidious than simply a case of labor exploitation. A four- to seven-year indenture to serve out, bond servants lives' and movements were subject to control and dominance by their masters' even outside of work hours, with punitive restrictions placed on marriage, locomotion, and pregnancy.

So there were both voluntary and involuntary servants. What's the difference?

The laws were the same. Both were treated as servants and had a predetermined length of time to serve before they were freed. In Barbados the customary length of time to serve in the 1650s was between five or seven years, but in 1661 a new law was introduced that reduced this to between four to two years. This "custom" was altered by colonial administrators to attract servants to migrate to their colonies and it was also used to single out the Irish when they were not wanted. In 1655 harsh laws were passed in Virginia that targeted Irish servants who arrived in the colony without indentures. These terms for adults were two years longer than those that applied to other "Christian servants," and three years longer for those under 16 years of age. But by 1660 (the Restoration) the law was repealed.

#TheLargerIssue #Fatherlessness #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #SOLUTIONS

martin luther king oprah winfrey dr nadine burke harris_02.jpg

During a March 11, 2018 '60 Minutes' segment titled, "Treating Trauma," Oprah Winfrey, a 'Childhood Trauma' (#ACEs) victim-survivor, shared knowledge regarding America's easily PREVENTABLE, though potentially life scarring *CHILD CARE* PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS.

EYE-OPENING knowledge Oprah exuberantly confirms is a "game changer."

YouTube search terms: "Oprah Winfrey 'Fixing The 'Hole In Your Soul'"

___
The late 'Childhood Trauma' (#ACEs) victim Tupac Shakur's T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E. Child Abuse, Emotional Neglect, Abandonment & Maltreatment *AWARENESS-PREVENTION* concept applies to American and foreign born citizens of ALL backgrounds:

T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E. - "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fvvks *EVERYONE"* ~Tupac Shakur

“We need more people who care; you know what I’m saying? We need more women, mothers, fathers, we need more of that…” ~Tupac Shakur, American urban story-TRUTH-teller
_tupac dr nadine burke harris common.jpg

Peace.
___
American *(Children)* Lives Matter; Take Pride In Parenting; *End Our National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect*; End Community Violence, Police Anxiety & Educator's Frustrations

Neither. I am aware of Irish scholars who say the Irish were never slaves. That's another fact you need to learn.
But you dont believe anything written by whites

The lesson we learn here?

Most conservatives instantly make every single thing entirely about race, thus they hate those who are more colorblind, such as King and the Democrats.

What, someone thought it wasn't obvious?

By the way, racist-supporters don't get to tell black people what racism really is. I mean, they can try, but then they'll get laughed at.

Wow, this is stupid, even for you.

Progressives are the one trying to balkanize the country, by creating the pity totem pole, playing one "oppressed" group against another.

Well they lie a lot so its kind of hard to trust what white people say or claim is actually true.

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.
We do not look at skin color.
We look at the content of their character.

Why are Democrats so intent on destroying his dream?

:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

50 years ago King said this:

Dr. King Said It: I'm Black and I'm Proud!

Why do republicans keep telling the same lie King talks about in this speech?

I just love his message. Everybody (Regardless of race) should listen to that message.

I love Dr. King. If he were alive today, and running for office, he would have my vote.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Historian Liam Hogan has spent the last six years debunking the Irish slave myth.

Call it "fake history." Whenever people on social media start talking slavery, reparations, and race, some Internet troll will jump up and demand, "What about the Irish?" Over the past few years, the myth of Irish slavery has found fertile ground in Internet memes as a way to derail any conversation about historical complicity for white folks in the slave trade or the need for affirmative action today. If the Irish escaped from slavery to general inclusion and prosperity, the false and racist argument goes, then African Americans can do likewise. Fortunately, whenever this claim starts to get traction, a librarian from Limerick steps forward to debunk it.

More.

How did you get started debunking the Irish slave myth online?

Around 2012, I read Nini Rodgers' ground-breaking book Ireland, Slavery and Anti-Slavery, which looked at Ireland in the context of the Black Atlantic world and racial slavery in Colonial America. She concluded that these European slavocracies had a major impact on Ireland. On a local level I was stunned to discover such details that Frederick Douglass spoke in Limerick or that Limerick merchants attempted to set up a slave trading company in 1784. It was a surreal feeling to discover that the 18th-century building that I worked in was built by Philip Roche, the most successful provisioner of the British West Indies in Limerick.

I then set out to explore Limerick's historical relationship with racial slavery and began to publish articles from an Irish perspective. I noticed that the most popular comment below one article was a piece of propaganda full of basic errors and false equivalences that suggested, "We were slaves too," I soon realized that this was a copy-and-paste text which had proliferated all over the social Web. It needed to be challenged.

So what is the reality about the history of Irish unfree colonial labor?

While the majority of Irish people who became indentured servants in the colonies did so willingly (why they felt they had to so is, of course, another question), a not insignificant number were forcibly deported and sold into indentured servitude. This peaked just after the brutal Cromwellian conquest of Ireland when there were orders given in multiple counties to round up and deport those who, it was claimed, could not support themselves.

Indentured servitude was more insidious than simply a case of labor exploitation. A four- to seven-year indenture to serve out, bond servants lives' and movements were subject to control and dominance by their masters' even outside of work hours, with punitive restrictions placed on marriage, locomotion, and pregnancy.

So there were both voluntary and involuntary servants. What's the difference?

The laws were the same. Both were treated as servants and had a predetermined length of time to serve before they were freed. In Barbados the customary length of time to serve in the 1650s was between five or seven years, but in 1661 a new law was introduced that reduced this to between four to two years. This "custom" was altered by colonial administrators to attract servants to migrate to their colonies and it was also used to single out the Irish when they were not wanted. In 1655 harsh laws were passed in Virginia that targeted Irish servants who arrived in the colony without indentures. These terms for adults were two years longer than those that applied to other "Christian servants," and three years longer for those under 16 years of age. But by 1660 (the Restoration) the law was repealed.

We Irish were not slaves in America. They are as did help build America, but we’re not forced to do so, like the black folks were.

We, the Irish, were slaves back in Ireland, either to their Viking conquerors, or to the Aristocracy.

Irish willfully came to America for freedom. Black folks were forced to come here and had to fight for freedom.

A little understanding by everyone, and a little less whataboutism would go a long way.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Well they lie a lot so its kind of hard to trust what white people say or claim is actually true.
Same can be said for blacks

Same can be said for blacks
Disagree. Black people have never taught a hoax that claimed homo sapiens started in europe.

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.

That's all Blacks and Progressives focus on: skin color. The very people who most often tout MLK Jr as one of their own fail to get or practice his most basic message.
What was his most basic message? White people crack me up when they start claiming to know what MLK was about.

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.

That's all Blacks and Progressives focus on: skin color. The very people who most often tout MLK Jr as one of their own fail to get or practice his most basic message.
What was his most basic message? White people crack me up when they start claiming to know what MLK was about.

Another purely racist comment from the Top Racist of the Group. So by your thinking, I'd have to have been raped to know that rape is bad. :lmao:

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.

Another purely racist comment from the Top Racist of the Group. So by your thinking, I'd have to have been raped to know that rape is bad. :lmao:
No stupid. You would have to be raped to know how rape felt.

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.

So lemmesee milk-weedbrain, no woman knows how rape feels even though it is intercourse. Is that why so many guy's fight for woman's rights and so many whites fought to abolish slavery?

View attachment 213487
Let that sink in.

So lemmesee milk-weedbrain, no woman knows how rape feels even though it is intercourse. Is that why so many guy's fight for woman's rights and so many whites fought to abolish slavery?
What does that gibberish have to do with my point?

That your point is gibberish.

That your point is gibberish.
So you admit you just made up some gibberish because you couldnt deal with the point. Thanks

Forum List

Back