54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

One language in America? Get real.
As far as I know lots of 2nd & 3rd generation kids like Asians and Hispanics are taking classes so they can speak their native language. Especially Filipinos and Vietnamese.

all government transactions need to be in English.......but government documents and interactions should all be in English and English only should be the rule for the education system..........

5th and 14th Amendments

Nope...they don't apply.......

The courts disagree with you.

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

all government transactions need to be in English.......but government documents and interactions should all be in English and English only should be the rule for the education system..........

5th and 14th Amendments

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

An American Citizen......who understands the Constitution.

5th and 14th Amendments

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

The opinions of 5, politically appointed lawyers, place in life time tenured positions based on political view points does not trump the Constitution....

5th and 14th Amendments

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

The opinions of 5, politically appointed lawyers, place in life time tenured positions based on political view points does not trump the Constitution....

You don't seem to understand or respect the Constitution.

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

I do...the left wing justices on the court don't........

The courts are wrong.

Who are you again?

I do............

Apparently not.

Los Angeles, as looked upon by the general media, is a huge area with great diversity in ethnic backgrounds.

I think the OP is a bit overboard. Yes, many households speak the language of the elder's home countries but I think that's more out of respect for the elders than anything else. The younger generations become bi- and even tri-lingual, which is good for society in general.

"54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home"

Try to use words that people with little English have some chance of understanding.

Imagine learning a great deal of French, Spanish or Russian. It is extremely difficult, and it is amazing that large numbers of foreigners can learn to speak English well as it is.

Imagine learning a great deal of French, Spanish or Russian. It is extremely difficult, and it is amazing that large numbers of foreigners can learn to speak English well as it is.
This is because the English speakers are very helpful and open to send anyone who wants to teach English to every country of the world. The English speakers' individual personalities and attitudes are the root of the world's success in learning English. No other speakers have this quality.

This is because the English speakers are very helpful and open to send anyone who wants to teach English to every country of the world. The English speakers' individual personalities and attitudes are the root of the world's success in learning English. No other speakers have this quality.

???????

???????
No comprende amigo. :) I wasn't thinking of you. :)

Are you aware that a lot of these 2nd or 3rd generations don't even speak their dialect anymore? If they want to advance they know that they need to assimilate. If they don't they remain flipping burgers and cooking tacos. They have a dream to advance. That's a fact.
Ohhh that's where the difficulty is. No. They don't want to advance. They just want to be paid more.

You may want to update yourself. Every body wants to be paid more. Don't you?

5 facts about Latinos and education

BY JENS MANUEL KROGSTAD14 COMMENTS

Educational attainment among U.S. Latinos has been changing rapidly in recent years, reflecting the group’s growth in the nation’s public K-12 schools and colleges. Over the past decade, the Hispanic high school dropout rate has declined and college enrollment has increased, even as Hispanics trail other groups in earning a bachelor’s degree.

High School Dropout Rate, By RaceHispanics cited education as a top issue in 2014, ranking alongside the economy and above health care and immigration in importance, a Pew Research Center survey found.

Economic factors remain an obstacle for enrollment, however. In a 2014 National Journal poll, 66% of Hispanics who got a job or entered the military directly after high school cited the need to help support their family as a reason for not enrolling in college, compared with 39% of whites.
Do you know any actual latinos that have gone to college? It looks way different on paper than they way it works in reality.

Latinos graduate high school unable to participate in college at grade level. They enroll, then take remedial courses. They major in LaRaza studies or Chicano in the 21st century. What they do is get student loans. Lots of them. When they are no longer approved for loans, they drop out and become part of students unfairly burdened by debt
And they still can't get a job.
Over the past decade, the Hispanic high school dropout rate has dropped dramatically. The number of Hispanics ages 18 to 24 enrolled in a two- or four-year college has more than tripled since 1993. The reason less dramatic increase in bachelor degrees is more Latino's attend 2 year schools.
No one doubts they enroll. They enroll in droves . They just drop out.
No, they don't enroll in 4 year colleges but 2 year schools. Nearly half who go to college attend a public two-year school, the highest share of any race or ethnicity.

My Mexican-heritage granddaughter was #3 in her high school class and is currently attending UNLV on a scholarship, studying civil engineering. Her mother is the only one of 5 children who actually graduated HS while one brother got his GED.

My Mexican-heritage granddaughter was #3 in her high school class and is currently attending UNLV on a scholarship, studying civil engineering. Her mother is the only one of 5 children who actually graduated HS while one brother got his GED.
Good to hear. Attending college can be really hard for kids whose family has not attended. No one attended college in my family until I did. One of my parents encouraged me and the other didn't. Thank God, I went.

Forum List

Back