53% recent college grads unemployed

obama_sucks

Rookie
Aug 12, 2012
:mad: :eusa_boohoo:Obamanomics has destroyed the economy and has made a college education mute. What is the purpose of going to college if upon graduation there are no jobs???

What are their degrees in?

I know lots of college grads. Every year every college has a recruitment fair where companies look for new hires.

Those with math, engineering and science degrees are hired with generous signing bonuses. Those with degrees in social issues get nothing.

If it is true that 53% of college grads are unemployed it means that 53% of college grads have worthless degrees to begin with.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDmPEeurfA]President Bush Addresses Nation on Economic Crisis - YouTube[/ame]

:mad: :eusa_boohoo:Obamanomics has destroyed the economy and has made a college education mute. What is the purpose of going to college if upon graduation there are no jobs???

When I graduated there were no jobs in my field either since the recession was on and reagan was the president. So reagan destroyed the job market also? According to your logic it is , and the same with bush Sr and the S & L crisis along with black monday when the market crashed.
There are jobs. Even with a degree your not to good to get one, even if it is not in the major they studied). They are hiring in my area. Benton county Arkansas has a 6% UE rate and it is still going down, maybe the graduates may need to move to work in management? They need alot around here.

I know lots of college grads. Every year every college has a recruitment fair where companies look for new hires.

Those with math, engineering and science degrees are hired with generous signing bonuses. Those with degrees in social issues get nothing.

If it is true that 53% of college grads are unemployed it means that 53% of college grads have worthless degrees to begin with.

When I was at the U of Arkansas I signed up with a company that would help you pay for college and give you a job, during the summer you work as a apprentice.

Just cause you get a degree does not mean everyone will hire you , and usually they must start at the bottom, cause many do not have real life experience which is usually a requirement that goes along with the job .

When I graduated there were no jobs in my field either since the recession was on and reagan was the president. So reagan destroyed the job market also? According to your logic it is , and the same with bush Sr and the S & L crisis along with black monday when the market crashed.
There are jobs. Even with a degree your not to good to get one, even if it is not in the major they studied). They are hiring in my area. Benton county Arkansas has a 6% UE rate and it is still going down, maybe the graduates may need to move to work in management? They need alot around here.

Wait isnt that where Walmart is headquartered? You know the evil walmart that liberals love to hate!

'This is going to catch an awful lot of people off guard'...
:eek:
Student loans could hit your Social Security
— It’s no secret that falling behind on student loan payments can squash a borrower’s hopes of building savings, buying a home or even finding work. Now, thousands of retirees are learning that defaulting on student-debt can threaten something that used to be untouchable: their Social Security benefits.
According to government data, compiled by the Treasury Department at the request of SmartMoney.com, the federal government is withholding money from a rapidly growing number of Social Security recipients who have fallen behind on federal student loans. From January through Aug. 6, the government reduced the size of 115,000 retirees’ Social Security checks on those grounds. That’s nearly double the pace of the department’s enforcement in 2011; it’s up from around 60,000 cases in all of 2007 and just six cases in 2000. The amount that the government withholds varies widely, though it runs up to 15 percent. Assuming the average monthly Social Security benefit for a retired worker of $1,234, that could mean a monthly haircut of almost $190. “This is going to catch an awful lot of people off guard and wreak havoc on their financial lives,” said Sheryl Garrett, a financial planner in Eureka Springs, Ark.

Many of these retirees aren’t even in hock for their own educations. Consumer advocates say that in the majority of the cases they’ve seen, the borrowers went into debt later in life to help defray education costs for their children or other dependents. Harold Grodberg, an elder law attorney in Bayonne, N.J., said he’s worked with at least six clients in the past two years whose problems started with loans they signed up for to help pay for their grandchildren’s tuition. Other attorneys say they’re working with older borrowers who had signed up for the federal PLUS loan—a loan for parents of undergraduates—to cover tuition costs. Other retirees took out federal loans when they returned to college in midlife, and a few are carrying debt from their own undergraduate or graduate-school years. (No statistics track exactly how many of the defaulting loans fall into which category.)

Most consumer advocates and attorneys who work with seniors in this predicament told SmartMoney.com that their clients were unwilling to speak on the record, because of shame or fear. But they all stress that stakes involved can become very high for older people on a budget. Deanne Loonin, a staff attorney at the National Consumer Law Center in Boston, said she’s been working with an 83-year-old veteran whose Social Security benefits have been reduced for the past five years. The client fell behind on a federal loan that he signed up for in the ’90s to help with his son’s tuition costs; Loonin said the government’s cuts have left the client without enough cash to pay for medications for heart problems and other ailments.

Roughly 2.2 million student-loan debtors were 60 and older during the first quarter of 2012, and nearly 10 percent of their loans were 90 days or more past due, up from 6 percent during the first quarter of 2005, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. “It’s really a unique problem we haven’t had to face before, and it’s only going to grow,” said Robert Applebaum, founder of Student Debt Crisis, a nonprofit advocacy group in Staten Island, N.Y. The threat of Social Security cuts adds to the overall financial woes faced by the aging baby boomer generation. Almost 45 percent of people aged 48 to 64 won’t save enough money to cover basic needs and uninsured health-care costs in retirement, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute. Experts say reducing Social Security benefits could set them back even more.

There have been 48 economic downturns in US history.

I have lived through 10 of these economic events in my liftime, and 8 of which happened since I became a working adult.

Clearly something about our economic system is highly UNSTABLE.

There have been 48 economic downturns in US history.

I have lived through 10 of these economic events in my liftime, and 8 of which happened since I became a working adult.

Clearly something about our economic system is highly UNSTABLE.
The Federal Reserve.

When I was at the U of Arkansas I signed up with a company that would help you pay for college and give you a job, during the summer you work as a apprentice.

My step daughter went to UC Santa Barbara. She had three roommates, one math major and two science majors. My stepdaughter got a degree in Wymen's studies with a minor in comparative religion. The three roommates got great jobs starting at over $100,000 a year and generous signing bonuses. My step daughter eventually got a job as a secretary.

Do you have an actual source for that claim, or did you just make that number up? I'm not aware of any official data set that would reveal the UE rate for recent grads.

Oh, and you meant "moot," not "mute."

My step daughter went to UC Santa Barbara. She had three roommates, one math major and two science majors. My stepdaughter got a degree in Wymen's studies with a minor in comparative religion. The three roommates got great jobs starting at over $100,000 a year and generous signing bonuses. My step daughter eventually got a job as a secretary.

My daughter graduated and found a job fairly quickly. It depends on what you major in as well.

And they are all here posting from mom and dad's basement.

Try not to project that which you wish to hide, in other words, it is you that is posting from your parents basement. My kids are old enough that I should be in their basement posting.

my nephew is not unemployed but cant get a job in his field . Instead he is a ditch digger for the electric company .. 4 years of college and cant even work in his field which is sports rehab ..

Forum List

Back