53,000 Soldiers Overpaid in January

CSM said:
Competitive with what? even at the high end of 40k, you are (as a minimum) asking this guy to deploy every two years or so, sometimes putting his life on the line in a manner with which no policeman or fireman could ever imagine. That "free" medical and dental costs him (see the Tri Care plan). Also, unmarried E-4s are not elligible for BAQ and seperate rats.

What folks dont realize is that those extra "benefits" (while looking good on paper) dont make up for a lot of things in a soldier's life. The deployments and separations, the risks that go on even in training, and so forth. 40k sounds like a great starting salary and it is...if you are not moving every 18-24 months, dont plan on buying a house, or saving for kids college education, etc.
I couldn't have said it better.

CSM said:
Competitive with what? even at the high end of 40k, you are (as a minimum) asking this guy to deploy every two years or so, sometimes putting his life on the line in a manner with which no policeman or fireman could ever imagine. That "free" medical and dental costs him (see the Tri Care plan). Also, unmarried E-4s are not elligible for BAQ and seperate rats.

What folks dont realize is that those extra "benefits" (while looking good on paper) dont make up for a lot of things in a soldier's life. The deployments and separations, the risks that go on even in training, and so forth. 40k sounds like a great starting salary and it is...if you are not moving every 18-24 months, dont plan on buying a house, or saving for kids college education, etc.

I'm not saying a soldier's life is easy. All I'm saying is that soldier's pay, with benefits, is fairly competitive with other entry-level positions. Would I like to see soldier's pay increase? Absolutely. But it's not like soldiers could be getting a better deal at McDonalds or Walmart.

gop_jeff said:
I'm not saying a soldier's life is easy. All I'm saying is that soldier's pay, with benefits, is fairly competitive with other entry-level positions. Would I like to see soldier's pay increase? Absolutely. But it's not like soldiers could be getting a better deal at McDonalds or Walmart.

"The better deal" is at McDonalds or WalMart....the chances of either of those organizations asking an entry level employee to move several thousands mile is remote; not to mention leave their family behind and (oh by the way) get shot at or blown to smithereeens too. We are not asking these people to bag groceries.

Seriously, in times of peace, while not the greatest lifestyle in the world, a soldiers lot is not too bad. In times of war, there is no comparison to civilian occupations....entry level or otherwise.

CSM said:
Seriously, in times of peace, while not the greatest lifestyle in the world, a soldiers lot is not too bad. In times of war, there is no comparison to civilian occupations....entry level or otherwise.

That, I think, we can agree on.

gop_jeff said:

Actually, it is not all that competitive. If you hire a person in the private sector and then expect them to travel a lot, you are going to end up paying them a helluvalot more than $39K. More likely, starting with lots of travel, minimum $50K a year.

let em keep it. call it a christmas bonus.

yea we're underpaid. no big deal, there are fringe benefits for the single e-4 and below.... like showing up in a small town with your uniform on (or even w/o it), you're guaranteed to get laid unless you have severe hallitosis or are stupid.

then there's all types of free beers, food, etc etc.... yea, its not money, but there are great benefits to this.

When I enlisted, the pay for a recruit was seventy four dollars a month. Then I got a big raise to seventy eight dollars a month. Then I went to Okinawa and overseas pay brought it up to eighty nine dollars a month. You received overseas pay for Hawaii and Alaska also. We were furnished our first set of clothing but had to buy our own after that. Upon discharge, I received one week of unemployment insurance pay of twenty three dollars before I went to work. My job paid fifty five dollars for a nine hour, six day work week. On that pay I drove a big fine car and put money in savings. Not griping what so ever, just reminiscing how things change. I think all of our service men and women are under paid.

They did this to us about two months after they didn't pay us in January (Budget would not pass). Once they caught us back up they messed up and paid too much one month. They sucked that money right back out of my account. Took two months to get caught back up in pay, three days for them to catch themselves back up.

Forum List

Back