5000 in 1970

mnbasketball

Mar 4, 2011
I keep hearing about what so many are saying about the wages for teachers and the cost of what it took to educate a student in 1970 vs today.

Ive seen as low as 5000 in 1970 and as high as 10/11000 in 2010 and they say this horrible! Well is it really? Lets take a look.

Current data is only available till 2009. $27600.00 in the year 2009 has the same "purchase power" as $5000 in the year 1970.

The 2009 observation is preliminary and will change.

kind of makes you on the right look stupid doesn't it. the teachers are doing their job of education for 2/5 ths of what it should be for the same job done.

Source note for "Purchasing Power of Money"

Another Computation?

Citation
Lawrence H. Officer and Samuel H. Williamson, "Purchasing Power of Money in the United States from 1774 to 2010," MeasuringWorth, 2009.

URL: Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages, average wage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let us know if and how this discussion has assisted you in using our calculators.

HOME
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
USER GUIDE
GLOSSARY & FAQ

Last edited:
But my right wing boss told me I am doing really good, but those teachers are making way more than I do working at the corner drug.

Republicans don't want any part of this do they.

Oh by the way the average ceo made 40 times what their workers made, now the top ceo's make as much as 550 times and you wonder why things are so expensive.

I keep hearing about what so many are saying about the wages for teachers and the cost of what it took to educate a student in 1970 vs today.

Ive seen as low as 5000 in 1970 and as high as 10/11000 in 2010 and they say this horrible! Well is it really? Lets take a look.

Current data is only available till 2009. $27600.00 in the year 2009 has the same "purchase power" as $5000 in the year 1970.

kind of makes you on the right look stupid doesn't it. the teachers are doing their job of education for 2/5 ths of what it should be for the same job done.

You are an idiot many times over.
For starters, the "cost" to educate a child is not synonymous with teacher salary. Second, teacher salary is not synonymous with teacher compensation. Third, there is no correlation (actually negative correlation) between amount spent per pupil and effectiveness. Washington DC and NYC spend more per pupil than most places and have the worst results. Finally, all wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted as they did in the 1970s. THe fact that teachers are tells you they are overpaid.
Thank you, and now go fuck yourself.

Teachers salaries, indeed many public workers' salaries haven't been losing as much puchasing power as many workers, that is true.

COLAs in their UNION CONTRACTS are largely responsible for that happy fact.

Sadly, as the working class is getting poorer, and as teachers unions are so obviously being targeted for destruction by the masters, teachers have become targets for trolls and propagandists of the pro-fascist persuasion.

Meanwhile the REAL winners of today's economy, the ruling class and their high ranking minions, have seen puchasing power increases hundreds of times greater than educators.

And the propagandists, in part as an obfucating technique, like to focus on one of the few classes of workers who has not be so nearly badly effected as the rest of the working class... public workers -- teachers, cops firemen, social workers, government bureacrats and so forth

Don't some of us find it amusing that some of us are OFFENDED that some workers don't suffer enough, but are completely sanguine, meanwhile, that the masters are getting rich and richer and richer even as most people continue to get poorer and poorer?

You can always tell when they cover inflation in Poli-Sci.

Evidently, it is now just before Spring break.

Finally, all wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted as they did in the 1970s. THe fact that teachers are tells you they are overpaid.

Wow. Nobody is making as much money, in terms of purchasing power, as their job did in 1970? Are you sure about that? Have you checked on CEO and upper management type positions?

The fact that you call "equal" pay being over paid is pure nonsense and shows that you have no intellectual competence to offer on the matter. I thought that conservatives weren't supposed to become jealous of the wealth of other people? So then why are so many people, like you, being jealous that teachers, supposedly, have not suffered as badly through the recession as others?

When the argument gets tough, the ignorant get abusive.

Finally, all wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted as they did in the 1970s.

Where the fuck do people come up with stuff this absolutely ignorant? Which rightwing radio talker is making such asinine statements?

Finally, all wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted as they did in the 1970s.

Where the fuck do people come up with stuff this absolutely ignorant? Which rightwing radio talker is making such asinine statements?

Proof? Nah, you don't have any proof. Just letting your ass talk again.

He has no proof of your claim, and he's the one talking out of his ass?

Teachers salaries, indeed many public workers' salaries haven't been losing as much puchasing power as many workers, that is true.

COLAs in their UNION CONTRACTS are largely responsible for that happy fact.

Sadly, as the working class is getting poorer, and as teachers unions are so obviously being targeted for destruction by the masters, teachers have become targets for trolls and propagandists of the pro-fascist persuasion.
Just because the teachers unions are the ones screeching the loudest and staging wildcat sick-out strikes, doesn't mean that they're the only ones having to *ahem* "share the sacrifice".

But I guess it's not so easy for slackers and rotters at the DMV or revenue departments to cower behind the chiiiilllldrreeeennnnn, huh?

For starters, the "cost" to educate a child is not synonymous with teacher salary. Second, teacher salary is not synonymous with teacher compensation. Third, there is no correlation (actually negative correlation) between amount spent per pupil and effectiveness. Washington DC and NYC spend more per pupil than most places and have the worst results. Finally, all wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted as they did in the 1970s. THe fact that teachers are tells you they are overpaid.

So what the heck is the cost to educate a student? What is the average teacher salary? And do you think it is too high or too low?

"All wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted".

Read that again and think about what you just said. Then ask yourself: Has real GDP increased since 1970?

[

The test scores have remained flat.

So what the heck is the cost to educate a student? What is the average teacher salary? And do you think it is too high or too low?

You have access to the same information I do. Go find out.
I don't know.
I do know the OP is full of shit, with misleading, false, and downright mendacious statements.

"All wages have lagged inflation so no one is making the same amount inflation adjusted".

Read that again and think about what you just said. Then ask yourself: Has real GDP increased since 1970?
Again proving economics is not your strong point. Not your weak point either. Maybe there is another category: black hole, where a person's knowledge base is not only weak but whatever he knows is actually incorrect. You would need to unlearn everything you think you know and re-learn it. Elsewhere.

Forum List

Back