500,000 jobs to go in $131 billion UK cuts

In a recent speech Obama said the current deficit levels are untenable.

Deficits he signed off on.

The presidential budget for 2012 which should be available by the middle of next year will show substantial spending cuts. The major costs in healthcare will not kick in till 2014 and without the huge costs of the stimulus package, Wall street bailout, and GM bailout, reducing the deficit should be a snap.

And there will still be a deficit, guarantee it.

But if you are looking for big cuts in entitlement programs, it's not going to happen.

Agreed

Unlike many countries we have no problem borrowing money. US government debt is still considered to be the safest, most liquid investment in the world and that's not likely to change.

This is where we have a problem. You actually believe that.

Is this what Republicans are planning on doing in the US?

500,000 jobs to go in $131 billion UK cuts package

I guess that's 500,000 padded government jobs they didn't need in the first place. Hopefully the US takes their lead and does the same thing.

I disagree, syrenn. Not with the UK's need to cut spending, but with the "no one will miss these workers" part. I had a really astute woman in the UK I was friends with for years (haven't spoken to her in over a year), and her description of the conditions facing workers, lower class folks and young people bordered on the appalling. She told me back then unemployment was running around 25% in some areas. Those London"council tracts" you may have heard mentioned are not at all like US suburban housing developments. Although not as bad, they are more akin to HUD public housing nightmares.

I suspect these cuts mean cops, teachers, social workers and the like...and UK people will suffer. Does not mean the cuts should not be made....but I am a wee bit anxious over the UK.

I suspect these cuts mean cops, teachers, social workers and the like...and UK people will suffer. Does not mean the cuts should not be made....but I am a wee bit anxious over the UK.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Why do you suspect "these cuts mean cops and teachers?"

You think they're the only government employees?

In a recent speech Obama said the current deficit levels are untenable.

Deficits he signed off on.

The presidential budget for 2012 which should be available by the middle of next year will show substantial spending cuts. The major costs in healthcare will not kick in till 2014 and without the huge costs of the stimulus package, Wall street bailout, and GM bailout, reducing the deficit should be a snap.

And there will still be a deficit, guarantee it.

But if you are looking for big cuts in entitlement programs, it's not going to happen.

Agreed

Unlike many countries we have no problem borrowing money. US government debt is still considered to be the safest, most liquid investment in the world and that's not likely to change.

This is where we have a problem. You actually believe that.
Of course there will be a deficit in the 2012 budget We have had a surplus in only 12 of last 70 years. The amount of government spending within the GDP of a country is a major factor in determining the risk associated with holding debt in that country. This is important because the government spending component of GDP does not produce goods and services. So at the 50% level half of spending in the country produces nothing.

In 2010 43% of the US GDP was government spending. That figure is expect to drop in 2011 to 40%. By comparison Great Britain is at 47%. The recent cuts would bring Britain's down to 43%. So the projected deficit in the US is going in the right direction but needs to go further. An additional 100 to 200 billion dollar in spending cuts should be enough to protect our AAA rating.

Spending As Percent Of GDP in United States 1900-2010 - Federal State Local
UK public spending since 1963 | News | guardian.co.uk

I'm just surprised that its taken the UK, France, Greece and other European countries this long to realize that their form of Govt just isn't sustainable.

Says the person living in a country with $14 trillion worth of debt. France and Britain are not in the same boat as Greece.

The main reason Britain is in the shit is to do with the sub-prime mortgage crisis, which started in your country. What's that about a form of govt not being sustainable again?

Last edited:
I suspect these cuts mean cops, teachers, social workers and the like...and UK people will suffer. Does not mean the cuts should not be made....but I am a wee bit anxious over the UK.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

SHe suspects that because liberals always claim that cuts in government funding mean kids will be sitting in classrooms without teachers and criminals will run free in the streets. That is their mantra. It isn't true. It's never been true.
But a certified simp like Madeleine just doesn't get it.

Actually there will be fewer assistant vice chairmen of aid to animal welfare workers and the like.

I'm just surprised that its taken the UK, France, Greece and other European countries this long to realize that their form of Govt just isn't sustainable.

Says the person living in a country for $14 trillion worth of debt. France and Britain are not in the same boat as Greece.

The main reason Britain is in the shit is to do with the sub-prime mortgage crisis, which started in your country. What's that about a form of govt not being sustainable again?

Our debt as a percentage of GDP is far lower than any other country in Europe.
Did we force the Brits at gunpoint to issue sub prime mortgages? No, I don't think so.
Now shut the fuck up and go eat some sheep.

I suspect it because that would be consistent with human nature as I have observed it. They themselves are less powerful than other government employees and the constituencies they serve are less powerful than those served by other government workers. I hope I am wrong, but IME, cuts in government spending do not begin with mid or high level bureaucrats.

Doubt they'll actually do it, but if they do it will be good for them.

Then you are wrong. They are already doing it. The Regional Development Agencies have already let a lot of staff go via voluntary redundancy. Many more are waiting to receive letters informing them whether they will have a job in 2011.

My local council (Wiltshire) just laid off 240 managers. One wonders why they didn't lay them off before, instead of bleeding local taxpayers dry, the bastards.

Is this what Republicans are planning on doing in the US?

I wish.

Where would you make the cuts?

FederalBudgetPieChart.jpg

The X is (I presume) 16 departments each of which accounts for less than 1% of the total budget.​

Sorry do not have a list of them.​

Last edited:
Price supports for Big Agriculture

Tax Breaks For Exporting Jobs

Tax Breaks Upon Breaks Upon Breaks For Big Pharma

Bureau of Indian Affairs....gift the land to the residents and let those people live in peace!

IRS -- pick a simplification proposal, any proposal.....

HUD

DOE

DOD.....implement any Inspector General proposal for cutting waste and slash that budget 25%

EEOC.....close the offices and cede jurisdiction to any state with its own EEOC. Mebbe then we'll get fewer BS edicts such as "employers cannot discriminate against convited felons".

Obama’s EEOC: Employers Can’t Discriminate Against Felons Publications Family Security Matters

PBGC.....convert the remaining defined benefit plans to defined compensation (401(k)) plans and dissolve this before it explodes in taxpayers' faces.

DEA.....enough already. War on Drugs? We lost.

I could go on......anyone who has passed Accounting 101 could as well.

Forum List

Back