50 years/MLK--'I Have a Dream Speech'

I live in the real world fool.

Blacks go out of their way to separate themselves from the rest of us. Open your eyes!!
Did I ever say they didn’t? Try looking at my statements – this is a straw man.

Nope. Again, complete straw man. Look at my statements again.
Most blacks are still in slavery, they just haven't realized it yet. If it wasn't for daddy government they'd starve to fucking death!
No they don’t. The government dependency is still not slavery. Those that want to can improve still and those that don’t sink to the bottom. That is not slavery – where you have no decition or power in the matter but rather a case of the government making it to easy to suck off the teet.

What you are missing is that you seem to think that we start with slaves and POOF we become a nation undivided singing kumbyah. That is not true. MLK’s ‘dream’ might not be the reality BUT we are FAR close to it now than where we were 60 years ago. When segregation was the name of the game, equality was simply out of reach. Today, that is NOT the case.

We are no more closer to unity now than we were when MLK was killed.

America more divided now than any time since the Civil Rights Era

doubtful that this will help--'separate but equal' seems to be the goal.

someone used the analogy of a tossed salad.

I just hope we don't have to 'find out' the hard way. I personally see no reason that someone intent on destroying 'The Great Satan' couldn't succeed. Actually amazed that hasn't already happened.

I live in the real world fool.

Blacks go out of their way to separate themselves from the rest of us. Open your eyes!!

Most blacks are still in slavery, they just haven't realized it yet. If it wasn't for daddy government they'd starve to fucking death!
No they don’t. The government dependency is still not slavery. Those that want to can improve still and those that don’t sink to the bottom. That is not slavery – where you have no decition or power in the matter but rather a case of the government making it to easy to suck off the teet.

What you are missing is that you seem to think that we start with slaves and POOF we become a nation undivided singing kumbyah. That is not true. MLK’s ‘dream’ might not be the reality BUT we are FAR close to it now than where we were 60 years ago. When segregation was the name of the game, equality was simply out of reach. Today, that is NOT the case.

There can be no true unity until people stop allowing the government to play you like a fiddle. Don't believe the hype. Yes there are members of the Black American race that are your trailer park trash equivalent. However Blacks are more educated and doing better than ever before.

There can be no true unity until people stop allowing the government to play you like a fiddle. Don't believe the hype. Yes there are members of the Black American race that are your trailer park trash equivalent. However Blacks are more educated and doing better than ever before.

I couldn't help but notice that the parents of Trayvon Martin seemed to be doing much better than me. Just sayin'. Then behind my modest home built in the early 50's there are large McMansions--several African American families reside there. whatever--just fortunate that the area is desirable because of its proximity to downtown--tiny houses with 1/3 acre yards and old trees.

There seems to be no way to stop the flow of useless ideas--anyone who is able can reject them. That is all I know. My mind simply cannot accept the unacceptable.

I hope his dream wasn't to be treated special as they're today...Special as we can't talk about the 5 time murder rate or be concern with the crime rate throughout our cities.

Special as they will scream you down and play the victim when you discuss such. How do we improve our society without discussion of such serious topics?

Equal suppose to mean being treated like everyone else. They don't seem to want that.

I hope his dream wasn't to be treated special as they're today...Special as we can't talk about the 5 time murder rate or be concern with the crime rate throughout our cities.

Special as they will scream you down and play the victim when you discuss such. How do we improve our society without discussion of such serious topics?

Equal suppose to mean being treated like everyone else. They don't seem to want that.

lol--did you ever listen to Neal Boortz--some form of accountability was delivered daily.

'Mighty Whitey'---if that is what it takes--its not that difficult. jmo.

The problem with whites talking about it is that you assume you have license to talk. Thats not the case as whites and other races have their own problems. When the ills in your community are fixed then you can ask permission to discuss Black problems. You cant talk to anyone about their home and hope to be effective if your own house is dirty.

So we sit and watch our cities turn into third world war zones.

Whites make up only 47% of murders in this country out of 2/3rds of the population. Is there problems...Yes. We as a nation must always work towards our improvement.

So we sit and watch our cities turn into third world war zones.

Whites make up only 47% of murders in this country out of 2/3rds of the population. Is there problems...Yes. We as a nation must always work towards our improvement.

If its truly talk you want then thats different. If its a chastising secession then it will fall on deaf ears as we continue to fix our own community. Your reply is a great example of what I am talking about. How many ponzi schemes have wrecked and affected all types of American lives? Do you see my point?

The problem with whites talking about it is that you assume you have license to talk. Thats not the case as whites and other races have their own problems. When the ills in your community are fixed then you can ask permission to discuss Black problems. You cant talk to anyone about their home and hope to be effective if your own house is dirty.

The Boortz approach is preferable to me. More clinical--the basic assumption that we all understand that as human beings we have similarities, etc.

I am not gonna do this today. just decided.

Mistakes were made--efforts to rectify the mistakes have been made--after that--each and every one of us has to suck it up and move on. Physical and mental handicaps--look at what many who would seemingly have no chance manage to do.

~~~~

just finished listening to a report on the 3 that beat the teen in FL--9 months probation because they are minors. after a few moments of outrage--I decided---ok--chances are good that they will have further involvement with the justice system. They had a 'chance'.

The Boortz approach is preferable to me. More clinical--the basic assumption that we all understand that as human beings we have similarities, etc.

Mistakes were made--efforts to rectify the mistakes have been made--after that--each and every one of us has to suck it up and move on. Physical and mental handicaps--look at what many who would seemingly have no chance manage to do.

~~~~

just finished listening to a report on the 3 that beat the teen in FL--9 months probation because they are minors. after a few moments of outrage--I decided---ok--chances are good that they will have further involvement with the justice system. They had a 'chance'.

I'm not familiar with the Boortz approach. I wouldnt exactly call slavery then jim crow and other racist policies up until just recently "mistakes". However I do get your point that people have to suck it up eventually. Just curious. What efforts would you say were instituted to correct the "mistakes" of the past?

~~~~

I'm not familiar with the Boortz approach. I wouldnt exactly call slavery then jim crow and other racist policies up until just recently "mistakes". However I do get your point that people have to suck it up eventually. Just curious. What efforts would you say were instituted to correct the "mistakes" of the past?

i am tired. Neal Boortz--google him--hard to explain.

Google --'The History of Atlanta'--I have posted several links. After the Civil War--efforts were made to change. Atlanta seems to have had a leadership role?

~~
from post #19

~~~~~~~~

clearly politics is not my raison d' etre--lol

comment on anything you find interesting--

~~~
Two books about the Atlanta Cotton States Exposition | Atlanta Arts and Culture

This Cotton States Exposition/world's fair--took place in 1895--and efforts were being made in some fashion in the area of civil rights--that is something I didn't know--so much of that. They are talking about Piedmont Park--in the center of Atlanta--the Piedmont Driving Club is there---old money-- the most historic area I suppose--much of the city was burned, etc.

~~~~~~
<Opening on Sept. 18, 1895, the Atlanta Cotton States and International Exposition attracted throngs of visitors to the city and generated national and international press attention. Just 31 years after Atlanta burned, the exposition catapulted the city into the limelight as never before.

&#8220;The Cotton States Exposition did what [organizers] had hoped in terms of shaping the city&#8217;s image as a progressive leader of the New South,&#8221; says Theda Perdue, author of the just released book &#8220;Race and the Atlanta Cotton States Exposition of 1895&#8221; (University of Georgia Press).>

<Perdue points to the Negro Building as the most historically significant aspect of the Cotton States Exposition. &#8220;On its face the Negro Building acquiesced to segregation. Its exhibits, after all, were segregated from those of whites. But the displays challenged white assumptions of African-American inferiority on which segregation rested, and instead, presented a narrative of accomplishment and triumph.&#8221;

Perhaps the most famous speech given on opening day came from Tuskeegee Institute President Booker T. Washington. He spoke directly to President Grover Cleveland and Cotton States organizers.

&#8220;One-third of the population of the South is of the Negro race. No enterprise seeking the material, civil or moral welfare of this section can disregard this element of our population and reach the highest success. I but convey to you, Mr. President and Directors, the sentiment of the masses of my race when I say that in no way have the value and manhood of the American Negro been more fittingly and generously recognized than by the managers of this magnificent Exposition at every stage of its progress. It is a recognition that will do more to cement the friendship of the two races than any occurrence since the dawn of our freedom.&#8221;>

Some sort of collaborative effort has existed. Perhaps once behind the scenes? Now we just confront each other--with some civility usually.

Whatever may be going on in the political arena--those of us living our lives seem to be focused on more peaceful issues.

Helping others was always a priority here--I can verify that.

lol--bruno mars--'Today I don't feel like doing anything'

later gator

Last edited:
Old Fourth Ward/MLK Historic District

* the audio is not good--something someone made at home I assume.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGiG8FOL3A4]The Old Fourth Ward Past Present and Future - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o107YjrIOGA]Tour Atlanta's Inman Park Neighborhood - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC6hnDrFAz0]Lofts in Atlanta - Cabbagetown - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwCui-uX6ik]atlanta ga city guide - vidatown atlanta ga video - what to see travel tour attractions sampler - YouTube[/ame]

None of us can change the world but we can all have a positive impact on our own little corner.

Watching the ceremonies in DC today gives me hope that we may yet come together.

Forum List

Back