50 years/MLK--'I Have a Dream Speech'

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
'I Have A Dream' 50 Year Anniversary Commemorated With Bells, MLK Remembered

As Oprah said to someone on CNN--'I think we will be talking about race for quite some time...'

Growing up in Atlanta in the 60's in some sort of 'Wonder Years' environment I remember the struggle and strife. 'Radical'--very radical thinking.

I saw the 'Colored' and 'White' water fountains in one of the better department stores --must have been 7 or 8--no one offered any explanation. Race was not discussed. TV was 'new' and one of my father's favorite shows was 'Amos and Andy'.

Skipping ahead to the early 60's---Lester Maddox ran for governor. He owned a restaurant where axe handles were sold--and truthfully the KKK was active in some parts of the city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/25/obituaries/25CND-MADD.html

a few memories. one of my best ---The Atlanta Tams---'My Girl', 'Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy'---good tunes.

http://www.thetams.com/thetamshome.html

Last edited:
MLK Jr. is turning in his grave while black Americans piss on his dream.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Someone I respect says--'It's a process...' I take some comfort in that when I am ready to implode.

To use Atlanta as an example--some progress has clearly been made. In daily life people seem to be focused on 'living'--there are several areas that require extra effort but what can be done is being done.

Decatur, GA--transformed from WASP haven to an example of 'what can be'. Dr. King would be pleased with that --if nothing else, jmo. Plenty of issues there at one time--about 10 minutes from the Carter Center and King Center. lol--Agnes Scott College and Emory University--less than 5 minutes away.

http://www.decaturga.com/

~~~
on a related note--I think I just heard that a Savannah court ruled against the racial discrimination suit involving Paula Deen. off to google.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...ce-based-claims-thrown-out-by-judge-1.5878256

Last edited:

Someone I respect says--'It's a process...' I take some comfort in that when I am ready to implode.

To use Atlanta as an example--some progress has clearly been made. In daily life people seem to be focused on 'living'--there are several areas that require extra effort but what can be done is being done.

Decatur, GA--transformed from WASP haven to an example of 'what can be'. Dr. King would be pleased with that --if nothing else, jmo. Plenty of issues there at one time--about 10 minutes from the Carter Center and King Center. lol--Agnes Scott College and Emory University--less than 5 minutes away.

City of Decatur : Home

~~~
on a related note--I think I just heard that a Savannah court ruled against the racial discrimination suit involving Paula Deen. off to google.

Paula Deen lawsuit sees race-based claims thrown out by judge

A process? Was the process designed to run backwards? Because that what seems to be happening.

~~~

A process? Was the process designed to run backwards? Because that what seems to be happening.

I am the last person that should respond--I assume that those who understand such things see some sort of stages?

maybe something along these lines?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_growth_model

eta: more relevant
http://www.trainingforchange.org/frameworks_for_social_change

All I can really tell you is that things are better in many ways in Atlanta. The south side--gangs and all that goes along with that. The city is still standing--lol.

Last edited:

~~~

I am the last person that should respond--I assume that those who understand such things see some sort of stages?

Only liberals and blacks see things in stages and puts people in groups and sub groups.

King was all about individuals being recognized as individuals and not separated into groups are judged by skin color.

He dreamed of his children being judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin yet with all the NAACP's, CBC's, American Association for Affirmative Action (AAAA), American Association of Black in Energy (AABE), Association of Black Sociologist (ABS), Black Awareness in Television (BAIT), Black Filmmakers Foundation (BFF), Black Psychiatrists of America (BPA), the National Alliance of Black School Educators (NABSE) and the list goes on and on. It's all about skin color and that is nothing like what King had in mind. Quite the contrary.

Only liberals and blacks see things in stages and puts people in groups and sub groups.

King was all about individuals being recognized as individuals and not separated into groups are judged by skin color.

He dreamed of his children being judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin yet with all the NAACP's, CBC's, American Association for Affirmative Action (AAAA), American Association of Black in Energy (AABE), Association of Black Sociologist (ABS), Black Awareness in Television (BAIT), Black Filmmakers Foundation (BFF), Black Psychiatrists of America (BPA), the National Alliance of Black School Educators (NABSE) and the list goes on and on. It's all about skin color and that is nothing like what King had in mind. Quite the contrary.

well--lol--'a deep subject'-old Southern saying

CNN will no doubt be providing insight --'I just live here'.

Desegregation--I remember it --DeKalb County was predominantly Caucasian. Those who fled from the City of Atlanta moved to DeKalb in the late 50's. Decatur is the county seat, fyi. Now DeKalb is predominantly black. We are living our lives --something of a 'dream'--that's about all I can tell you.

Desegregation--I remember it --DeKalb County was predominantly Caucasian. Those who fled from the City of Atlanta moved to DeKalb in the late 50's. Decatur is the county seat, fyi. Now DeKalb is predominantly black. We are living our lives --something of a 'dream'--that's about all I can tell you.

Atlanta is predominately black as well. 60% of the city's area consists of overwhelmingly black neighborhoods: together, Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast Atlanta are 92% black.

I wouldn't recommend letting CNN provide you with insight.

You would be better serve doing your own research.

Atlanta is predominately black as well. 60% of the city's area consists of overwhelmingly black neighborhoods: together, Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast Atlanta are 92% black.

I wouldn't recommend letting CNN provide you with insight.

You would be better serve doing your own research.

I will count 'living here' for half a century as my research --lol.

but--any day now you can expect CNN to 'share the wealth'/knowledge. tongue in cheek.

Well do I know 'how Atlanta is'--I get around--lol. I should contact someone in another forum who really likes to discuss all of this---he could provide a rather interesting review of how change occurs. Meanwhile back in Decatur--the former CEO was indicted for some sort of corruption--how we keep going I can't say.

~~~
if I have the time I might enjoy this type of research--if anyone knows what is going on this author would seem to be in the loop. CNN should include him in whatever they plan to do.

http://www.georgiacenterforthebook.org/Events/show.php?id=604

Last edited:
Aug 23/CNN/Documentary(s) to commemorate 'I Have A Dream' speech.

Cast the bread upon the waters--

Last night they featured Nixon and then Reagan.

Probably no chance that they would pull out an old Woodstock video--the music is more effective with me. 3 Dog Night--early 70's--nuff said. :) Social change occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN4GcOOSfuA]Bob Dylan - Tangled up in Blue - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UoJ47SzjA]Forever Young - Joan Baez - YouTube[/ame]

then a decade or so later--the Indigo Girls --also products of the 'Decatur area'--basically conservative 'redneck' area--but some embraced change--why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_Girls

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUgwM1Ky228&list=ALBTKoXRg38BD_a8qy-LeRAw0Sxxh_wzb1]Indigo Girls - Closer To Fine - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Martin Luther King plagairized his most famous speech. He was a womanizer preferring white prostitutes and a was a legendary alcoholic. Had he not died when he did he would have been indicted for embezzling funds from the Ebenezer Church he pastored.

It will take a number of generations before history is revised out of existence.

Martin Luther King plagairized his most famous speech. He was a womanizer preferring white prostitutes and a was a legendary alcoholic. Had he not died when he did he would have been indicted for embezzling funds from the Ebenezer Church he pastored.

It will take a number of generations before history is revised out of existence.

I think I heard that. I've heard plenty for too many years.

eta--for whatever reasons I missed this/these film(s)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...uther-king-jr-bed-prostitute-article-1.462888

Bill Campbell, former mayor--indicted and served time for ???--perhaps around the time of the '96 Olympics. Neal Boortz used to talk about such things.

Andrew Young--all the big names in Civil Rights. Sweet Auburn--things went on.

When I was around 12/13 we used to ride a bus downtown to go to the movies. Really nothing much out in the suburbs. Early 60's--things started changing pretty quickly after that. By the end of the 60's ---Little Five Points emerged--hippie area. Everyone was certain that would be 'The End of Life As We Knew It'. It's still funky and a desired area by many.

They are working on the area--that is all I can tell you.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/mlks-old-neighborhood-seeks-economic-comeback

Ponce de Leon is a main thoroughfare to downtown--currently being renovated/rehabilitated. 'Pretty wild'--homeless shelters and drug rehabs--that sort of thing. Next to very expensive lofts --something had to be done.

http://midtown.patch.com/groups/arts-and-entertainment/p/ponce-book

Last edited:
mlk-obama-dream-web.jpg

mlk_obama12.jpg

clearly politics is not my raison d' etre--lol

comment on anything you find interesting--

~~~
Two books about the Atlanta Cotton States Exposition | Atlanta Arts and Culture

This Cotton States Exposition/world's fair--took place in 1895--and efforts were being made in some fashion in the area of civil rights--that is something I didn't know--so much of that. They are talking about Piedmont Park--in the center of Atlanta--the Piedmont Driving Club is there---old money-- the most historic area I suppose--much of the city was burned, etc.

~~~~~~
<Opening on Sept. 18, 1895, the Atlanta Cotton States and International Exposition attracted throngs of visitors to the city and generated national and international press attention. Just 31 years after Atlanta burned, the exposition catapulted the city into the limelight as never before.

&#8220;The Cotton States Exposition did what [organizers] had hoped in terms of shaping the city&#8217;s image as a progressive leader of the New South,&#8221; says Theda Perdue, author of the just released book &#8220;Race and the Atlanta Cotton States Exposition of 1895&#8221; (University of Georgia Press).>

<Perdue points to the Negro Building as the most historically significant aspect of the Cotton States Exposition. &#8220;On its face the Negro Building acquiesced to segregation. Its exhibits, after all, were segregated from those of whites. But the displays challenged white assumptions of African-American inferiority on which segregation rested, and instead, presented a narrative of accomplishment and triumph.&#8221;

Perhaps the most famous speech given on opening day came from Tuskeegee Institute President Booker T. Washington. He spoke directly to President Grover Cleveland and Cotton States organizers.

&#8220;One-third of the population of the South is of the Negro race. No enterprise seeking the material, civil or moral welfare of this section can disregard this element of our population and reach the highest success. I but convey to you, Mr. President and Directors, the sentiment of the masses of my race when I say that in no way have the value and manhood of the American Negro been more fittingly and generously recognized than by the managers of this magnificent Exposition at every stage of its progress. It is a recognition that will do more to cement the friendship of the two races than any occurrence since the dawn of our freedom.&#8221;>

Last edited:
Neal Boortz/Bill Campbell, former mayor of Atlanta

Today's Nuze: August 21, 2006 | Nealz Nuze | www.wsbradio.com

<Now I know most of you don't know much about this guy. Trust me, he was a real trip when he was our mayor. Let me share a few lowlights with you.

Let's start off with the first two paragraphs in this morning's Atlanta Journal-Constitution story about Campbell's trip to prison:

"Seven years ago, Bill Campbell reigned over the leading city in the Southeast and took advantage of the perks of prosperity and prestige.

That summer, Atlanta's mayor vacationed in Puerto Rico with his wife and children for four days before jetting off to Miami with a longtime girlfriend and then rendezvousing with another girlfriend in Paris."

So, there you go. A real family man.

I supported Campbell in his first run for mayor, and celebrated when he won. Shortly thereafter I knew that a horrible mistake had been made.

Not too long after he took office for his first term Campbell held a press event. There at the table with him were some leaders of Atlanta government worker unions. Campbell announced that he was going to sign a "contract" with these union leaders. The essence of that contract was that Campbell was promising that for so long as he remained the mayor he would not support, and indeed he would veto any action taken by the city council to streamline the operation of the city government, or save taxpayer's money, if that action would result in the loss of even one union job. At that moment it was clear that Campbell was in office to represent the city workers, not the city taxpayers.

Just a few more goodies and then we'll all sing along with Johnny Cash.

Remember the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games here in Atlanta? Well, Campbell saw that as an opportunity to make a few bucks and do some favors for some friends. Campbell managed to get the city council to grant rights to use sidewalks and other city property to a friend who had printed t-shirts for his mayoral campaign. His friend, Munson Steed, then leased out parcels of sidewalks and other city-owned property to a variety of vendors of various types of cheap crap from around the world, effectively turning Atlanta into a third-world flea market for the Olympics. That, along with the bombing in the Olympic Centennial Park by Eric Robert Rudolph managed to get our city a real black eye. Granted, Campbell was certainly not at fault for the bombing ... but it would have been nice if the 911 operators working for the city had known where Centennial Olympic Park was when the first calls came in. >

http://www.amren.com/news/2004/09/campbell_saga_d/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back