50 places Linux is running that you might not expect

Meet_linus_big.gif

;)

The list would be impossible to write down.
The vast majority of the internet is operating on Linux...you would have to be an idiot to operate a website using Windows.
More and more business software today is browser-based on Apache.

Oh...USMB.

The vast majority of the internet is operating on Linux...you would have to be an idiot to operate a website using Windows.

Oh...USMB.

What do you mean with Oh...USMB?

Oh...USMB.

board:usmb> ls -l
/usmb> chmod 0+wrx members

:eusa_whistle:

:lol:

Oh...USMB.

And what?

You have root?

Because you probably couldn't do that without it.

Oh...USMB.

And what?

You have root?

No you couldn't do that without root access and no I don't have it besides all that probably would do is allow non-registered visitors to post.

And what?

You have root?

No you couldn't do that without root access and no I don't have it besides all that probably would do is allow non-registered visitors to post.

I know what the command does..:lol:

I've been in the IT field for 15 years..and I worked for one of the companies listed by the OP. Since I no longer work there..I suppose it's okay to post it..I use to work for NYSE/EURONEXT.

I generally use the Octal number parameters with chmod. Like chmod 644 <FILE>.

Although it's nice to see people getting into this.

And what?

You have root?

I've been in the IT field for 15 years..and I worked for one of the companies listed by the OP. Since I no longer work there..I suppose it's okay to post it..I use to work for NYSE/EURONEXT.

Haven't gotten that far yet, still learning the basics about concatenating files and redirecting output. Self teaching myself with online tutorials, some of which might be old.

Haven't gotten that far yet, still learning the basics about concatenating files and redirecting output. Self teaching myself with online tutorials, some of which might be old.

It's fairly simple.

4=r
2=w
1=x

So chmod 644 would make a file read/write read read.

You might want to take a LINUX class..I'm pretty sure plenty around that are free.

And basic commands don't change all that much.

Your most important UNIX/LINUX command will be "grep". You might want to play around a little with awk and sed.

Learn the vi editor too.

:cool:

And what?

You have root?

No it wouldn't. Posting permissions are based on access rules in the php code. We don't have user accounts in the operating system of the server so we have no access to anything at the file level. Your code snippet wouldn't affect USMB one bit.

And what?

You have root?

No it wouldn't. Posting permissions are based on access rules in the php code. We don't have user accounts in the operating system of the server so we have no access to anything at the file level. Your code snippet wouldn't affect USMB one bit.

Like I said, I'm still learning, besides it was simply a joke, I knew there would be much more to it which is why I posted it in the first place, no idiot could use what I wrote to try and make changes to the board.

It's fairly simple.

4=r
2=w
1=x

You might want to take a LINUX class..I'm pretty sure plenty around that are free.

Your most important UNIX/LINUX command will be "grep". You might want to play around a little with awk and sed.

Learn the vi editor too.

So far all the classes I've found in my area are not free but also not all that expensive. They're geared towards server admin and security. I'll see how I do teaching myself first, hell I taught myself to build and repair computers. :lol:

Here's the one I'm currently using. Might be a little old though.

http://linuxsurvival.com/

Last edited:

It's fairly simple.

4=r
2=w
1=x

Learn the vi editor too.

So far all the classes I've found in my area are not free but also not all that expensive. They're geared towards server admin and security. I'll see how I do teaching myself first, hell I taught myself to build and repair computers. :lol:

Here's the one I'm currently using. Might be a little old though.

Linux Survival :: Where learning Linux is easy

Most of the basic commands will probably be the same. Different flavors of UNIX/LINUX have some variations..but you can muddle through using "man" pages. Man pages can be used on an OS (That's if they are set up) to get an idea of what a command does and what parameters are available.

To me..the most important command for an administrator is "grep". You can do a man grep for all the options.

It is extremely useful in determine exactly what is going on with your operating system.

UNIX/LINUX keeps logs of things like system alerts, logins, and other events. There are different logs for different things..for example..on REDHAT RHEL..the /var/messages log keeps track of whats going on in the system. And for example you have an application that keeps crashing. You can do something like..

grep "ERROR" /var/messages

And you might get something like:

ERROR: Unable to write /appl/funstuff/funstuff.log messages. Filesystem is full.

That would lead you to do something like:

df -Pk

And you would see that the /appl/ filesystem was full..and you might have to delete some files.

Then you would be the hero of the day! :lol:

Oh...USMB.

Apache is very very old. Off course, it gets updated, but nevertheless its base structure was written for systems which can't be compared to today's systems.
Nginx is the way to go.
nginx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And off course, compile it all yourself and don't rely on system's package manager so you have latest versions.

Forum List

Back