5 Ways Liberalism Destroys Virtue

From the OP: "Liberals begin with the proposition that conservatives are unwitting dupes at best and evil at worst while other liberals are on the side of the angels."

Are you supposed to represent some sort of refutation of that characterization of conservatives?

:lol:

No he isn't, but you are a confirmation of the fact that liberals are all dishonest hypocrite morons.

Then make a list of the lies I've told.

Lefties often accuse people of being trolls when the left has nothing to counter with.

Do you really want to have a one on one debate over whether or not I, as a liberal, conform to the characteristics you've described?

Yep. If you are a liberal then you fit in there somewhere. Let's find out where. Go.

I have publicly stated my positions right here on this forum on almost any issue you can name. You tell me where I lack virtue.

5 ways liberalism destroys virtue

yeah.....give us more o' that "conservative"-christian virtue.....

burning-cross.jpg

"a georgia couple was arrested this week on charges of child cruelty and false imprisonment after their 15-year-old daughter told authorities that she was forced to live in a chicken coop and wear a remote-controlled shock collar.

The 15-year-old, who was home schooled, reportedly said that her adopted parents, samuel and diana franklin, punished her for not finishing school work by spending up to six days at a time in the chicken coop behind their house in butler over the past two years.

diana franklin told one neighbor that she was “doing what the bible says” by punishing the girl for not doing chores the “right way,” according to kltv."

you are an idiot

You Are An Asshole!

Bullshit from people who see greed as a virtue, and compassion as weakness.

That makes 7 confirmations of the article. Amazing insight by the author. Thanks for your confirmation.

Are you really wanting me to believe liberals aren't greedy? LOL. Who are the ones hollering about people "not paying their fair share"?

Some of you may be lovely people in real life but on this board you are cold-hearted, greedy bastards who vote for cold-hearted greedy bastards. Quit acting that way if that perception offends you.

Do you really want to have a one on one debate over whether or not I, as a liberal, conform to the characteristics you've described?

Yep. If you are a liberal then you fit in there somewhere. Let's find out where. Go.

I have publicly stated my positions right here on this forum on almost any issue you can name. You tell me where I lack virtue.

That's nice. Are you pro abortion? If you are then you have no virture. Are you for Obamacare? If you are then you have no virture. Let's start there. Go.

That makes 7 confirmations of the article. Amazing insight by the author. Thanks for your confirmation.

Are you really wanting me to believe liberals aren't greedy? LOL. Who are the ones hollering about people "not paying their fair share"?

Some of you may be lovely people in real life but on this board you are cold-hearted, greedy bastards who vote for cold-hearted greedy bastards. Quit acting that way if that perception offends you.

That makes 8 confirmations of the OP. Thanks.

Sorry, but when people who hate liberals get into the business of defining liberalism, all we end up with is verification of that hatred...

What is liberalism?
200px-John_F_Kennedy_Official_Portrait.jpg

Address of John F. Kennedy upon Accepting the Liberal Party Nomination for President, New York, New York, September 14, 1960

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label, "Liberal"? If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But, if by a "Liberal," they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say that I'm a "Liberal."

But first, I would like to say what I understand the word, "Liberal," to mean and explain in the process why I consider myself to be a "Liberal,"

I want to take this opportunity to set forth my views on the proper relationship between the state and the citizen. This is my political credo:

I believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, and the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, this faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith, for liberalism is not so much a party creed or a set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of Justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves.

I believe also in the United States of America, in the promise that it contains and has contained throughout our history of producing a society so abundant and creative and so free and responsible that it cannot only fulfill the aspirations of its citizens, but serve equally well as a beacon for all mankind. I do not believe in a super state. I see no magic to tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned. I abhor the waste and incompetence of large-scale Federal bureaucracies in this administration, as well as in others. I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well. But I believe in a government which acts, which exercises its full powers and its full responsibilities. Government is an art and a precious obligation; and when it has a job to do, I believe it should do it. And this requires not only great ends but that we propose concrete means of achieving them.

Our responsibility is not discharged by an announcement of virtuous ends. Our responsibility is to achieve these objectives with social invention, with political skill, and executive vigor. I believe for these reasons, that liberalism is our best and our only hope in the world today. For the liberal society is a free society, and it is at the same time and for that reason a strong society. Its strength is drawn from the will of free people committed to great ends and peacefully striving to meet them. Only liberalism, in short, can repair our national power, restore our national purpose, and liberate our national energies.

Our liberalism has its roots in our diverse origins. Most of us are descended from that segment of the American population which was once called an immigrant minority. Today, along with our children and grandchildren, we do not feel minor. We feel proud of our origins and we are not second to any group in our sense of national purpose. For many years New York represented the new frontier to all those who came from the ends of the earth to find new opportunity and new freedom, generations of men and women who fled from the despotism of the czars, the horrors of the Nazis, the tyranny of hunger, who came here to the new frontier in the State of New York. These men and women, a living cross section of American history, indeed, a cross section of the entire world's history of pain and hope, made of this city and only a new world of opportunity, but a new world of the spirit as well.

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

1st bolded - My, how the times have changed...
2nd bolded - Individuals, not a collective...
3rd bolded - Another 180, y'all dizzy yet?

Seems to me you 'liberals' might want to reset your compasses, y'all are a tad off course.

That's nice. Are you pro abortion? If you are then you have no virture. Are you for Obamacare? If you are then you have no virture. Let's start there. Go.

Yea, let's start there.

No one is pro abortion. That is just being dishonest...clearly you have no virtue.

If you want to make abortion illegal, are you willing to pay for that woman's frequent doctor visits?

Are you willing to pay for that woman's special diet?

Are you willing to pay for that woman's loss of work?

And if there are complications that cause the woman to become disabled, are you willing to pay that woman's support for the rest of her life?

If not, then you have no virtue, and most of all, you have no RIGHT to dictate what another person does. Do only liberals and Democrats have abortions?? The facts are years ago only the opulent, who could afford to support a pregnancy and afford to raise a child were the ones who could afford a safe abortion. They could afford to send the woman 'away' to cover up the truth. Poor women who couldn't support a pregnancy or afford to raise a child were left to back room abortions that caused infections and deaths.

You clearly have no virtue.

YES, I support the Affordable Care Act.

If you don't support the Affordable Care Act, and want it repealed, then:

You are for going back to the dangerous system we had with people kicked off their insurance when they got sick and families driven into poverty by soaring premiums and health care costs.

You are for more than 6 million young adults no longer being guaranteed that they can stay on their parent's plan until they are 26.

You are for at least 54 million Americans with private insurance who are now guaranteed access to free preventive services under health care reform would lose access to free mammograms, vaccines and other life-saving health care.

You are for five million seniors across the country would no longer get help with their prescription drug costs.

You are for millions of seniors losing access to free preventive services under Medicare. Under the health care law, 32 million Medicare patients get these services for free, including cancer screenings and flu shots.

You are for 105 million Americans who will once again face lifetime limits on the care they can get from their health insurance plans.

You are for millions of children no longer getting coverage even though they have a pre-existing condition.

You are for de-fund community health care centers across the country. These health centers see patients whether or not they are insured, and charge based on people's ability to pay. They offer critical care in underserved communities where it is needed most.

You are for Americans losing access to health insurance exchanges, marketplaces which will be set up in 2014 where individuals, families and small businesses can go to shop for quality, affordable health insurance.

You are for insurance companies being able to refuse to cover people with pre-existing conditions. Insurers will also be able to charge women more for the same health insurance.

You are for repeal, which will also allow insurers to go on setting arbitrary annual dollar limits on health care benefits that allow them to stop paying for your care when they want.

You CLEARLY have no virtue...

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.
Albert Camus

Excellent article I read today.

"Liberals aren't actually charitable, courageous, or compassionate; they just claim to be those things by virtue of the fact that they're liberal. In fact, that's one of the major selling points of liberalism: being able to think of yourself as moral and good without the trials and sacrifice that go along with actually being moral and good."

5 Ways Liberalism Destroys Virtue - John Hawkins - [page]

Eventhough I am related to this individual, I can tell you that social morals are broken by all types. Repubs and conservatives sin also. There is no one without sin.
So try to sell that crap somewhere else.
I am going to Little rock in August to work on poor folks homes, do I hear any volunteers from the right?
chirp.

Way to deliberately miss the point, although I have never understood why liberals think being obtuse makes them look good.

"Liberals aren't actually charitable, courageous, or compassionate; they just claim to be those things by virtue of the fact that they're liberal. In fact, that's one of the major selling points of liberalism: being able to think of yourself as moral and good without the trials and sacrifice that go along with actually being moral and good."

Eventhough I am related to this individual, I can tell you that social morals are broken by all types. Repubs and conservatives sin also. There is no one without sin.
So try to sell that crap somewhere else.
I am going to Little rock in August to work on poor folks homes, do I hear any volunteers from the right?
chirp.

Good points, and I'm no good at things that require dexterity, though I'm helping collect clothing, food (CANNED) and household goods for a few families that lost much to the floods in the last weeks. I know the prices of canned hams, tuna, and chicken from Save a Lot to Winn Dixie, and Wal Mart in between.

Is anyone else amused by the way all the left-leaners on here immediately became defensive and started telling us all about how charitable they are? :badgrin: Yeah, no nerves touched THERE.

Virtue?

Let him die!

Feed the poor and they will breed.

Applauding executions.

Cutting school lunch.

The right and the left have hugely different ideas of "virtue".

Another poster child for how right the OP was. "Conservatives are evil. Look at all the things they've never said that I can attribute to them to 'prove' how evil they are."

I hope you leftists are as proud of being represented by the likes of rdean as I am relieved that he's all yours.

Anyone whose definition of "compassion" in any way involves tax money is, by MY definition, greedy. That person is selfishly looking to feel good about himself - "look how compassionate I am to vote for these government programs" - at the expense of others. He's greedy for his own warm fuzzies and he doesn't care who has to pay for him to have them.

Oh, so we're going to talk about virtue and you're going to define what virture is.

You're an asshole.

It is barbaric and uncivilized to deny through threat of severe punishment a pregnant woman a reasonable window of opportunity to have an abortion.

Above is the 57647th way that conservatives are hatemongers

From the OP: "Liberals begin with the proposition that conservatives are unwitting dupes at best and evil at worst while other liberals are on the side of the angels."

I want to thank you for proving the OP is right on target. Thanks.

Actually, no, I didn't begin with that proposition. What I wrote was in direct response to an OP designed to instil hatred of liberals. That's not 'beginning with a proposition', that's responding directly to what a someone has said. Do you know the difference?

Personal virtues are characteristics valued as promoting collective and individual greatness.

one virtue repubs will never have is promoting the ideal that the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back