5 Myths About Our Land of Opportunity

politicalchic is becoming shrill and hysterical because pc cannot refute the simple fact that the working and middle classes standard of living have suffered since the beginning of Reaganism, which will be become identified in our history as the pervsion of the American dream.

politicalchic is becoming shrill and hysterical because pc cannot refute the simple fact that the working and middle classes standard of living have suffered since the beginning of Reaganism, which will be become identified in our history as the pervsion of the American dream.

Usually, the terms 'shrill and hysterical' are reserved for women who are getting the best of some supposed 'macho' guy.

Is that the problem, Jakey?

Care to define the dream, and show how 1980 marked the end of it,... or are you better with aspersions and vague platitudes?

politicalchic is becoming shrill and hysterical because pc cannot refute the simple fact that the working and middle classes standard of living have suffered since the beginning of Reaganism
Correlation does not imply causation.

It is a fact that the blue-collar standard of living has fallen since the 1980s. However, you have demonstrated no link between Reagan's policies and this fall.

It is also a fact that the blue-collar standard of living has fallen since the 1990s. You cannot then conclude that Bill Clinton's policies hurt the lower classes, because correlation does not imply causation.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

politicalchic is becoming shrill and hysterical because pc cannot refute the simple fact that the working and middle classes standard of living have suffered since the beginning of Reaganism
Correlation does not imply causation.

It is a fact that the blue-collar standard of living has fallen since the 1980s. However, you have demonstrated no link between Reagan's policies and this fall.

It is also a fact that the blue-collar standard of living has fallen since the 1990s. You cannot then conclude that Bill Clinton's policies hurt the lower classes, because correlation does not imply causation.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So at least we are in agreement that the standard of living for working people has fallen...what can we do about it?

So at least we are in agreement that the standard of living for working people has fallen...what can we do about it?
That's the million-dollar question.

I don't think there's an effective long-term solution...this is an unstoppable demographic change we simply have to accept, much like America's future latino majority. We can ensure that the working classes do not starve, but we cannot pay blue-collar workers white-collar wages and stay competitive, as GM and the UAW learned the hard way.

This is why I said the 1950s-1970 were an exception. The reason American blue-collar work paid so well was because foreign blue-collar workers were starving to death across Asia, Africa, and Europe. Mothers used to say "Finish your vegetables, because children are starving in China." Now they say "Study well in school, or Chinese children will steal your job." This is a net positive for the world (less starvation), but bad for blue-collar America.

Now that the Old World has recovered from WWII, the supply of skilled blue-collar workers has multiplied. When supply goes up, prices go down...which means in this case, falling blue-collar wages.

Now, for some good news. Blue-collar wages in America will not fall indefinately...but rather, our working class is tied to the working classes in India and China. As India and China develop, purchasing more goods, and growing their middle classes, demand for blue-collar work will increase.

As Chinese and Indian demand for labor increases, blue-collar wages will increase, until eventually, blue-collar Americans 50 years from now will be emigrating to China for work. And thus the system balances out.

The problem is, until this equilibrium is reached, American blue-collar workers will be hurting.

eagleseven concedes that the working class ("blue" collar) standard of living has subsided at the same time deregulation and Reaganism has grabbed the economic levers of power by the chin. Wages have not kept up with the cost of living, and CEO salaries in relation to working pay has skyrocketed.

Since this is not a debate forum, eagleseven can ask for evidence all he wants of that we all know to be true. Who cares? The last thirty years has been a raid by the economic elite on the middle class, and the USA is far poorer for it.

The primary reason why some have lagged is a reason that is not apparent to most people, and it has little to do with politics as it is a trend that began in the 1960s, and has proceeded regardless of which party was in power in the White House and Congrees. But first, it is important to understand that, with a few exceptions, most demographic cohorts have seen an increase in real income over the past 40 years. However, the higher up the income latter you go, the greater your gains have been, with a few exceptions.

The biggest exception is the cohort that has gained the most, which is black women. Black women have seen their incomes grow faster over the past 40 years than anyone else. This is because they started from a very low base. Educated women have seen their incomes also grow faster than average. The group that has lost the most are uneducated whites men. White guys who do not have a grade 12 education have seen their after-inflation incomes fall over the past 40 years. This is the group that makes up the bulk of the "working class," or at least the working class that has been hurt the most.

The reason why income gaps have grown has little to do with free trade or taxation or deregulation, though certainly scaling back welfare payments has been a contributing factor. The biggest reason is technology, and the ability to apply it. Those who have been most able to apply technology in a productive manner have gained the most and those who have been least able to apply technology have been hurt the most. There have been a number of empirical studies that have concluded this.

Most of the working class that have been hurt are those who engaged in low productivity jobs. Assembly line workers, for instance, have been replaced by robotics, or have seen their jobs go offshore. However, those who are involved in tasks such as semiconductor design have seen their wages rise fast because they are able to capture the gains from their technological innovation.

Even in manufacturing, those engaged in higher productivity jobs have seen their wages rise at an above average rate. Contrary to popular opinion, manufacturing is not dead in America. Until this recession, manufacturing output in America was at an all-time, even though millions of manufacturing jobs have disappeared. That is because the manufacturing that is taking place in America is more and more high tech. Lower productivity jobs have been moved offshore.

1. Our educational system has been sabotaged and is designed to mass produce uneducated and undereducated people with no understanding of American history, economics or even which end is up

2. Our Big Federal Government is the prime beneficiary of #1 above

3. The main reason why minority immigrants run economic rings around native born Americans is that they were not educated in American schools. 3a. Unfortunately, it only take about 5 years of attendance in US public schools for their children to start to wear Che t-shirts.

4. Any sane county would have audited the Federal Reserve, then burned it to the ground.

the great diffrence betwee now and the nineten fifties is that the percentage of the family income that goes for housing and Utilitilites dwarfs what it was in the fifties.

Another point to ponder is that the family more often than not of 5 back then could much more easily get buy with just one wage earner and most did. the firsthouse my parents bought came with a payment equal to half of one weeks pay. The utilities cost the other half of that one weeks pay. Now days between rent or house payment and utilities cost much closer to half of one months pay for the average working family and because housing cost was removed from the COL figures during the Reagan administration,this was no longer being tracked.

Gary

One difference in housing is the house people buy today is larger than it was in the 1950s. In the 1950s, the average house size purchased was about 900 square feet. Today, it is 1500 square feet. That is one reason why homes are more expensive than 50 years ago.

the great diffrence betwee now and the nineten fifties is that the percentage of the family income that goes for housing and Utilitilites dwarfs what it was in the fifties.

Another point to ponder is that the family more often than not of 5 back then could much more easily get buy with just one wage earner and most did. the firsthouse my parents bought came with a payment equal to half of one weeks pay. The utilities cost the other half of that one weeks pay. Now days between rent or house payment and utilities cost much closer to half of one months pay for the average working family and because housing cost was removed from the COL figures during the Reagan administration,this was no longer being tracked.

Not true.

Each year since 1960, food and energy together have taken up a declining share of Americans' expenditures, while housing has taken up a steady share. This has enabled Americans to spend an increasing share of their budgets on another necessity, healthcare. These four necessities together consume the same share of American spending now (55%) as they did in 1960 (53%). As further evidence, Americans are increasing the share of their spending that goes to recreation.
Downgrading Health Care

Although many complain abour healthcare cost, which are are showing a smaller increase each year, it is the worthless education politocracy that is increasing unchecked, with no appreciable increase in performance.

For purposes of comparison, education:
Tuition at private colleges and universities has increased anywhere from 5% to 13% every year since 1980. "
The Cost of a College Education

And for primary and secondary school:
"Based on statistics from the US Department of Education, the average cost of educating a student in elementary and secondary schools has risen from $6,200 in 1991 to $11,000 in 2005 an increase of 85%. "
US Education Market | Entourage Systems Inc.

Education is where reform is a necessity, but reform will prove elusive as long as Democats are in power.

Dems will reform education right after they increase stricter security of eligible voters.

This is all horsecrap because this is the land of opportunity created by the freedom of any citizen to engage in commerce that they like. That is opportunity and not garnateed results which is a different concept so if you fail then its not America's fault it is your own. In this country you have the freedom to attempt to improve your life without the government interfering with those actions you wish to do so having the freedom to succeed is just saying you can take advantage of whatever opportunity you want.

Don't give me the stories that my father did this or my father did that because I bet they ran into the same whiners and losers in there life that couldn't earn five cents.

This is all horsecrap because this is the land of opportunity created by the freedom of any citizen to engage in commerce that they like. That is opportunity and not garnateed results which is a different concept so if you fail then its not America's fault it is your own. In this country you have the freedom to attempt to improve your life without the government interfering with those actions you wish to do so having the freedom to succeed is just saying you can take advantage of whatever opportunity you want.

Don't give me the stories that my father did this or my father did that because I bet they ran into the same whiners and losers in there life that couldn't earn five cents.

Someone is not paying attention

Rose covered glasses for everyone!

1. Americans enjoy more economic opportunity than people in other countries. Actually, some other advanced economies offer more opportunity than ours does. For example, recent research shows that in the Nordic countries and in the United Kingdom, children born into a lower-income family have a greater chance than those in the United States of forming a substantially higher-income family by the time they're adults. If you are born into a middle-class family in the United States, you have a roughly even chance of moving up or down the ladder by the time you are an adult. But the story for low-income Americans is quite different; going from rags to riches in a generation is rare. Instead, if you are born poor, you are likely to stay that way.

Just the way the left likes it.

Only 35 percent of children in a family in the bottom fifth of the income scale will achieve middle-class status or better by the time they are adults; in contrast,

76 percent of children from the top fifth will be middle-class or higher as adults.

Almost the numbers conservatives would like to see.

2. In the United States, each generation does better than the past one. As a result of economic growth, each generation can usually count on having a higher income, in inflation-adjusted dollars, than the previous one. For example, men born in the 1960s were earning more in the 1990s than their fathers' generation did at a similar age, and their families' incomes were higher as well. But that kind of steady progress appears to have stalled. Today, men in their 30s earn 12 percent less than the previous generation did at the same age.

might have something to do with choices we make now...

3. Immigrant workers and the offshoring of jobs drive poverty and inequality in the United States. Although immigration and trade are often blamed, a more important reason for our lack of progress against poverty and our growing inequality is a dramatic change in American family life. Almost 30 percent of children now live in single-parent families, up from 12 percent in 1968.

Screw family values. We need more abortion.

Since poverty rates in single-parent households are roughly five times as high as in two-parent households, this shift has helped keep the poverty rate up; it climbed to 13.2 percent last year. If we had the same fraction of single-parent families today as we had in 1970, the child poverty rate would probably be about 30 percent lower than it is today. Among women under age 30, more than half of all births now occur outside marriage, driving up poverty and leading to more intellectual, emotional and social problems among children.

Thank god we are turning away from traditional marriage....

4. If we want to increase opportunities for children, we should give their families more income.

Exactly. And the best way to do that is to confiscate money from the wealthy. We should all be equal.

Of course money is a factor in upward mobility, but it isn't the only one; it may not even be the most important. Our research shows that if you want to avoid poverty and join the middle class in the United States, you need to complete high school (at a minimum), work full time and marry before you have children. If you do all three, your chances of being poor fall from 12 percent to 2 percent, and your chances of joining the middle class or above rise from 56 to 74 percent. (We define middle class as having an income of at least $50,000 a year for a family of three.)

Bullshit. If you are poor it is because the foot of THE MAN is on your throat.

5. We can fund new programs to boost opportunity by cutting waste and abuse in the federal budget.
Can we cut enough ineffective programs or impose enough new taxes to put better teachers in classrooms, expand child-care assistance for working families and provide more financial aid to disadvantaged students while reducing projected deficits?
Of course we can. the solution is always "Mo' money mo' money mo' money"

The answer is a resounding no. Certainly, we should eliminate fraud, waste and abuse; raise new revenues; and scrub the budget for additional savings. But these alone won't get the job done. Just three rapidly growing programs - Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid - along with interest on the debt threaten to crowd out all other spending in a few decades.

So lets make sure to exacerbate this with a public option....

Five Myths About Our Land of Opportunity - Brookings Institution

thinkin like a lib is easy.

The best way to avoid poverty in America is to start out not poor.

Right. The best way has nothing to do with your decision-making process. WE ARE SLAVES TO THE NUMBERS....

Everything else sort of flows from that.

You'll start out with a better education leading to a still better post k-12 education, and thanks to your already established superior social status, you'll also have the contacts that give you the heads up about where the better paying billets are, too.

Read: don't even try unless your born into it....

From my personal perspective, we don't have the opportunity we once did.

My father got a job with the phone company when he got out of High School. On a blue collar, linemans salary and with my mother staying home, he raised four kids, owned a three bedroom house on an acre of land, sent four kids to college and retired at 60 with no debt.

I was able to go to college and pay for most of it working minimum wage jobs ($2 an hour). After college, I was able to support myself on a $6 an hour job. I moved out of the house at 21, got an apartment, bought a car. But my standard of living, even with my wife working and only two kids is not much better than my father enjoyed.

My kids are 22 and 25 and work full time and live at home. College costs $30,000 a year and there is no way to afford that earning minimum wage.

Try a cheaper college. There are LOTS OF EM

Buying a house costs $300,000 and they are a long way from affording that.
I bought a new construction home- 2300 square feet- for 175k. In fact, I bought two of em.

College graduates come out with massive debt and poor job prospects. Even with two salaries, it takes a long time to get on your feet.

what a pussy.

From my personal perspective, we don't have the opportunity we once did.

My father got a job with the phone company when he got out of High School. On a blue collar, linemans salary and with my mother staying home, he raised four kids, owned a three bedroom house on an acre of land, sent four kids to college and retired at 60 with no debt.

I was able to go to college and pay for most of it working minimum wage jobs ($2 an hour). After college, I was able to support myself on a $6 an hour job. I moved out of the house at 21, got an apartment, bought a car. But my standard of living, even with my wife working and only two kids is not much better than my father enjoyed.

My kids are 22 and 25 and work full time and live at home. College costs $30,000 a year and there is no way to afford that earning minimum wage. Buying a house costs $300,000 and they are a long way from affording that. College graduates come out with massive debt and poor job prospects. Even with two salaries, it takes a long time to get on your feet.

I wonder if previous generattions whined as much as this one does. Says somethin about the shift to the left....

Someone is not paying attention

Rose covered glasses for everyone!

Trust me- it is no surprise that the Left uses Eeeyore as its symbol. I can think of no better symbol than a mopey ass you-can-do-nothing donkey.

it is called envy....

an education at a community college is cheap.....but people thing they have a right to go to stanford....

a 300,000 house....how about you buy a 50,000 beater and fix it up yourself and start off in a low income neighborhood....

a car...let me guess they want a bmw....soory 500 beater take a autoshop class and fix it up....

complainers should put as much energy into working as they do complaining and they would have what they need.....

Forum List

Back