5 alternative investments

Nonsense. Farm-able land, with reliable water, is the only sane investment.......even if it's only a few acres.
You can wipe your ass with the presidential documents when what is coming arrives ( No. Not Gary Coleman)

Holds value under what economic circumstances?

Hyperinflation?

Yes, it that happens, holding some kinds of assets makes sense.

But wouldn't owning an OIL WELL be even a better investment?

The fact is that for 80% of the population preparing for an economic catastrophy isn't possible.

Hell they're hardly in a position to weather the crap economy we have right now, let along prepare for rainy day.

TODAY is the rainy day for most Americans.

There is a simpler explanation as to why those 5 things are holding and gaining value:

SCARCITY

Gemstones, yes.....but only the finer ones. Most of the best ones have already been cut, and the newer stuff being turned out can't hold a candle to the old. But the STONES, and not jewelry. I buy jewelry every day to get the stones (mostly miner's cut diamonds). I melt the gold and sell the stones loose. That is your best return. Not sure I agree with him at all on the pearls :(

Same with all the other items they mention....they are getting harder and harder to find, because there are fewer and fewer of them out there available for purchase.

I bought a JFK letter last year for $1500 and sold it for $10,000 a few months later. The seller was thrilled, and thought I got a slight bargain (I had no intention of selling it), until I noticed something.....No one had ever bothered to check the dates. It was a letter written on the eve of the inauguration as President, to a contributor. It was written on Presidential letterhead, but dated January 19. He was still a Senator then, and NOT President. Truly one of a kind (though 4 others written that evening have now surfaced as well).

Anything handwritten and historical is going up. They mention Mickey Mantle. Mantle's autograph is great, but even better is a piece with Mantle AND Dimaggio on the same item (they hated each other so that they ultimately both refused to sign anything the other had already signed, so these pieces are from VERY early in their careers). I have a set \of blueprints for the redesoign of Yankee Stadium signed by both. The last offer I turned down was $37,000. I paid $500 about 20 years ago.

Best, cheapest investment I can think of for the last 2 years, and forever going forward is pre-1964 US coinage. they are 90% silver, and can still be had fairly cheap. Stay away from the coins with numismatic value (unless you're a collector) and ask for "junk silver." No-brainer.

Buy it, and stick it away. You may need it to barter with one day (in which case you'll be filthy-stinking rich, because most won't have it), or your kids may find it one day when it will be worth 20x what you pay for it.

A 1964 quarter has over $6.50 worth of silver in it.

It is now written that "Gold, Silver & those precious Gems many gloat about" will soon become worthless. Yes just meaningless junk from a another time.

WHY & "When that life-sustaining air becomes so saturated with deadly toxins that it can no-longer sustain life, nothing else will matter anymore.

It is now written that "Gold, Silver & those precious Gems many gloat about" will soon become worthless. Yes just meaningless junk from a another time.

WHY & "When that life-sustaining air becomes so saturated with deadly toxins that it can no-longer sustain life, nothing else will matter anymore.
Written by who, exactly?
Do you realize that the air and water are significantly cleaner today than, say 50 years ago? You're a bit late with your doom and gloom message.

Written by who, exactly?
Do you realize that the air and water are significantly cleaner today than, say 50 years ago? You're a bit late with your doom and gloom message.
You're exactly right on that point. I remember the signs " Lake Erie is dead" etc. on the roadsides in the sixties.
It's better now but it's still all fucked up.

It's trite but true. The best investment you can make is in your health.

Forum List

Back