5.8 Earthquake in DC

I'm in upstate NY and felt it. I thought I was on drugs or dizzy or something.

Fox News reported that there was a claim that the Washington Monument is leaning, and never said anything about it again. WTF.

Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly reported at 2:30 pm that their bureau received information from a producer saying that a Captiol Hill Police officer says that the Washington Monument may actually be tilting as a result of the earthquake.

Seismologist John Rundle joined Kelly on her show and confirmed that the Washington Monument could very well be tilting as a result of the earthquake and the structure should be checked out.

Two nuclear reactors have reportedly been taken off line near the epicenter of the earthquake.

PICKET: FNC reports Washington Monument may be tilting from quake jolt - Washington Times

I felt it here in Central PA(about 50 miles N of Harrisburg). I didn't know it was an earthquake. I was catching up on some of the programs I DVR-ed, since it's my day off. I was sitting in my recliner and it started gently rocking. I thought the dog was lying against it and was scratching or something... I reached around the chair to shoo it away, and the dog wasn't there. Wife was in the kitchen and she said she felt the house move a little.

I didn't think nothing of it until my brother in law called and told us about the quake.

Interesting... first time I've ever actually felt one.

Update 3:04 p.m. ET: All national monuments and parks in Washington are "stable but closed" following Tuesday's earthquake, a United States Park Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser said. A couple of minor injuries and some minor structural damage have been reported in Washington, following Tuesday's earthquake, according to Schlosser.

Part of the central tower of the National Cathedral, the highest point in Washington, D.C., was damaged, according to spokesman Richard Weinberg. "It looks like three of the pinnacles have broken off the central tower," Weinberg told CNN.

D.C. monuments 'stable' after 5.9 magnitude quake, official says – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Forum List

Back