5.4 Million Join Disability Rolls Under Obama

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
I personally know probably 10 people collecting disability that are perfectly able to work

A record 5.4 million workers and their dependents have signed up to collect federal disability checks since President Obama took office, according to the latest official government data, as discouraged workers increasingly give up looking for jobs and take advantage of the federal program

But the big factor in the recent surge is the slow pace of the economic recovery after the severe recession. That has kept the unemployment rate above 8% and created an enormous pool of long-term unemployed and discouraged workers. More than 5 million people have been jobless for 27 weeks or more, nearly twice the previous high set in 1983, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Disabled America: 5.4 Million Join Social Security Disability Insurance Rolls Under Obama - Investors.com

Also this week, government figures reveal that a record number are getting food stamps and the figure will keep rising. This is not surprising since the Obama Administration has promoted the program like there’s no tomorrow in an effort to eradicate “food insecure households.” In fact, the administration has spent millions of dollars to recruit even more food-stamp recipients and has doled out hefty cash rewards to states that sign up the most people. One state even bragged about a $5 million performance bonus it got from the feds for its “swift processing of applications.”

This week the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reveals that 45 million people—one out of every seven U.S. residents—got food stamps in 2011, a whopping 70% increase from 2007. This represents a cost of $72 billion for U.S. taxpayers, which is a substantial increase from $30 billion four years earlier. For at least the next two years the food-stamp rolls will get even bigger, according the CBO, which studies economic and budgetary issues for Congress.

This undoubtedly leaves the out-of-control welfare program vulnerable to fraud and corruption. Just last month the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the agency that allocates food stamps, published a scathing report detailing how many recipients use their benefits to buy drugs, weapons and other contraband from unscrupulous vendors. Some trade food stamps for reduced amounts of cash, according to USDA watchdog.

Welfare At All-Time High Under Obama | Judicial Watch

Our country is pretty much doomed...

Just like the mother with 15 kids getting welfare

sad

sad

I know people who have never received food stamps before now they are like; "hey what the hell everybody else gets them why not me" Now they get them. it's like a virus and Obama is spreading the germ

And of course, as soon as they land on "disability", they come off of the unemployment statistic. Is this administration using disability as a means to reduce the unemployment rate? (just a bit of conspiracy theory)

Actually, I had not thought of that. hmmmmm.... I would not put it past the current administration.

sad

I know people who have never received food stamps before now they are like; "hey what the hell everybody else gets them why not me" Now they get them. it's like a virus and Obama is spreading the germ

Unfortunately it started before Obama, but under Obama it has increased dramatically.. but you are right..people today don't seem to have the pride they used to and I guess think the money from the Government comes FREE..

aging baby boomers.

You dont have access to peoples medical records so saying they are perfectly capable of working is nothing but a fucking lie

I personally know probably 10 people collecting disability that are perfectly able to work

A record 5.4 million workers and their dependents have signed up to collect federal disability checks since President Obama took office, according to the latest official government data, as discouraged workers increasingly give up looking for jobs and take advantage of the federal program

But the big factor in the recent surge is the slow pace of the economic recovery after the severe recession. That has kept the unemployment rate above 8% and created an enormous pool of long-term unemployed and discouraged workers. More than 5 million people have been jobless for 27 weeks or more, nearly twice the previous high set in 1983, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Disabled America: 5.4 Million Join Social Security Disability Insurance Rolls Under Obama - Investors.com
Out of 6 kids in my family 3 are on disability. Remember I come from a DemocRAT household growing up. I am the odd man out LOL .. only 1 of the 3 is getting it from his work and not the government so he actually got it the right way.. Oh and the other two can work but found away around the system as they have their whole lives.

aging baby boomers.

You dont have access to peoples medical records so saying they are perfectly capable of working is nothing but a fucking lie

Idiot the people I speak of are in their 20s, 30s, 40s Not old people.

aging baby boomers.

One doesn't necessarily need access to medical records to determine that.
For example, last summer I was paying a neighbor to mow my yard and do some other misc yard work. Near the end of summer, I found out this person was collecting disability. I'm sorry, but if you are healthy enough to get out in the summer heat and push a lawnmower, that means you are healthy enough (not disabled) to work.
I refuse to pay somebody for labor that is also collecting disability. I fired them and hired somebody else to do the work.

aging baby boomers.

One doesn't necessarily need access to medical records to determine that.
For example, last summer I was paying a neighbor to mow my yard and do some other misc yard work. Near the end of summer, I found out this person was collecting disability. I'm sorry, but if you are healthy enough to get out in the summer heat and push a lawnmower, that means you are healthy enough (not disabled) to work.
I refuse to pay somebody for labor that is also collecting disability. I fired them and hired somebody else to do the work.

Just like my oldest brother. He can not work but he can go hunting every winter. Drag out 100 pound deer , cut it up. And this is not for just a week of hunting this is hunting every day for the whole season. Makes my blood boil

Well the big middle finger for this has to go to the government for screwing up our economy so bad that recovery is dragging like a log. Yeah it pisses me off when people get on disability when they are not disabled. I do keep in mind that there are some...perhaps a small percentage that have consistently looked for work but can't find it, have run out their unemployment, and they are in a situation where they have to get creative to stay out of the gutter. I don't like that but I can understand it. "Give a man no options and you give him no choice." I think that's a very small percentage though.

Well the big middle finger for this has to go to the government for screwing up our economy so bad that recovery is dragging like a log. Yeah it pisses me off when people get on disability when they are not disabled. I do keep in mind that there are some...perhaps a small percentage that have consistently looked for work but can't find it, have run out their unemployment, and they are in a situation where they have to get creative to stay out of the gutter. I don't like that but I can understand it. "Give a man no options and you give him no choice." I think that's a very small percentage though.

I know several former working moms who after being laid off, opted to stay on unemployment. Human nature? I dunno.

Sad thing is, people that shouldn't get disability but get it are only making it bad on the people that really do need it. Just like Unemployment....many NEED to have it, and are just having a hard time find work. And like food stamps...my daughter had it for awhile and she needed it, but got away from it as soon as she could. My son's girlfriends has been trying to get disability...she really does need it and cannot work, but after 2 yrs she's still fighting to get it, she has 3 boys to take care of.

Forum List

Back