49 Years ago today, JFK Assasination

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Care4all, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,115
    May JFK rest in peace!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. craner

craner Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I remember it well. I was in 3rd grade, my teacher, Mrs Fitzgerald, came in the room crying, told us something bad happened to President Kennedy and released us from school.

I've recently started looking back on those events and cant help thinking when I see a pic of him that day, smiling, waving.......DONT GO IN THAT CAR !

I saw JFK in a motorcade in Buffalo, 1962. Dad had me on his shoulders to see his convertible pass by in a motorcade. Strange knowing thats how he died.

3. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    I am among the shrinking group of citizens who remembers that horrible day. In my opinion, it was much worse than 9/11 because it was a turning point in American history for the worse. The impact on our nation's policies and the direction this country began heading has lead us to the situations we face today.

I have come to believe that when historians in the distant future record the rise and fall of the American experiment, November 22, 1963 will be the zenith.

President Kennedy was headed to the Dallas Trade Mart for a luncheon. The speech he had written for that event ended in this profound way:

"We in this country, in this generation, are -- by destiny rather than choice -- the watchmen on the walls of world freedom. We ask, therefore, that we may be worthy of our power and responsibility, that we may exercise our strength with wisdom and restraint, and that we may achieve in our time and for all time the ancient vision of "peace on earth, good will toward men." That must always be our goal, and the righteousness of our cause must always underlie our strength. For as was written long ago: "except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain"

The speech never given...Remarks Prepared for Delivery at the Trade Mart in Dallas, November 22, 1963

His written words were not delivered on that tragic day in American history but they live on for all time. Especially thought provoking is JFK's concluding sacred scripture reading, 'except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain', from "Psalm 127, A Song of Ascents of Solomon." These were literally his last words to us and future generations. The prophetic biblical meaning was embraced by President Kennedy as a strong message to America and to our country's leadership, "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain (NIV, 1984)." ref

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I was in 8th grade at the time. It was an Indian summer kind of sunny day

Mr. Bomart announced that President Kennedy was shot.

We were released from school early.

I didn't really understand the significance of it.

I concur with the theory that future historians will mark that day as the day that the music died in America.

I still wonder who-all were involved in his assassination.

I do not believe the official record.

5. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I was in high school. We were sent home. Spent the weekend glued to ancient black&white TVs. We couldn't believe it when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald. We saw him do it and many of us never got hooked into conspiracy theories.

Well--I am hooked on the Seinfeld episode--'The Lone Spitter'--parody of grassy knoll conspiracy theories.

6. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    We know a lot more now, then we knew then. But the truth is still being suppressed. It should cause citizens to question, not accept.

7. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,897

That is about 1,000,000,000 miles beyond absurd.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,897
    And why is this posted under 'Current Events'?

9. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Your usual emote without any substance.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,897

Substance? Are you going to 'prove' your silly little hero-worshipping theory? Good luck.

No innocent person, whether president or ditch digger, deserves to be murdered by some scumbag as he drives down the street. That having been said: JFK was a dishonest, disloyal person from a corrupt family, and a so-so president at best. Just because you got the original tingle up your leg over him because he didn't look like the usual Munster politician of his day doesn't mean he accomplished anything more than he actually did. The assassination of any US president is a grave and significant event for obvious reasons, but as far as ripples in the surface of time go, that was not one of lasting effect beyond the very understandable emotional reaction of citizens who had invested so much hope and expectation in a man who turned out to be far less than people wanted to believe he was (a tendency among some that clearly has not abated).