47th Annual Reno Air Races!

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
September 15th through 19th Reno Nevada! My dad and I had planed to attend this year but it just never materialized. We last went together way back in 1972!

There are multiple classes of racing, the most popular being the Unlimiteds which are predominately modified WWII fighters. The fastest category is the Jet class. The Sport category has been gaining fans the last few years as the speeds increase in that class.

The racers can qualify in the following categories:

Unlimited (Piston Engine Only)
Jet
T-6
Super Sport
Sport
Biplane
Formula I

Here's the course they fly:

RenoCourse.jpg

Last years' Unlimited winner Steven Hinton has returned to defend his title and has qualified on the pole this year at 484.255 mph!

Strega01.jpg

Will Whiteside is #2 in Voodoo at 479.180 mph.

Voodoo01.jpg

John Penney is #3 in Rare Bear at 445.728 mph.

RareBear01.jpg

Matt Jackson is right behind him in 4th at 445.062 mph.

DreadNaught01.jpg

Qualifying is all this week with Heat Races on Friday and Saturday with the Gold Finals in all categories on Sunday.

Let's go racing! :woohoo:

Curt Brown qualified his L-39 "Viper" with a new Jet record of 543.568 mph! :eek:

Brown_L-29_01.jpg

A Focke Wulf 190 flown by John Maloney makes it's appearance at Reno for the first time. Qualified at only 302.209 no one expects it to contend for the Unlimited title but everyone is excited just to see one race!

FockeWulf01.jpg

I usually root for "The Bear" to win but this year I have a new favorite:

Jimmy Leeward and #177 "Galloping Ghost". As you can see the radiator or "doghouse" has been removed in favor of a "boiloff" system.

GallopingGhost01.jpg

In this shot you can see how much the wings have been clipped. And yes, those are F7F Tigercats in the background!

GallopingGhost02.jpg

Rod Lewis in #1 "Big Boss Man", an F7F-3, (Yes, it was a fighter!) has yet to qualify. I believe it has been renamed "El Hefe" just for this race!

BigBossMan01.jpg

Forum List

Back