46% of Americans Think Poltiticans are Corrupt.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Sounds about right to me.

When are the rest of you sheep going to admit it?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/july_2011/new_high_46_think_most_in_congress_are_corrupt

Voters are more convinced than ever that most congressmen are crooks.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 46% of Likely U.S. Voters now view most members of Congress as corrupt. That’s up seven points from June and the highest finding yet recorded. Just 29% think most members are not corrupt, and another 25% are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here .)

Similarly, a whopping 85% of voters think most members of Congress are more interested in helping their own careers than in helping other people. That’s a record high for surveys stretching back to early November 2006. Only seven percent (7%) believe most of the legislators are more interested in helping others.

Last edited:
If it walks like a duck..quacks like a duck..and hands out checks on the house floor..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAC2xeT2yOg]‪Republican Minority Leader John Boehner explains why he handed out bribes on the House floor‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

It may be a crook.

of course they are. They are corrupt to the extent that the people are corrupt.

Sorry but the corruption is concentrated in politicians.

Not true, Corruption has been and always will be a part of human interaction. It can't be eliiminated but we can try to control it. I believe the problem is systemic, if one wants to remain in politics, one must accept 'donations', and 'donations' come with strings attached.

Most elected officials deny 'donations' influence them - one must ask why they continue to receive donations from the same source if the giver is not somehow rewarded? Most of us believe quid pro quo is in operaton and is the elephant in the room is in the chamber of both the Senate and House.

Go along to get along (and recieve a nice office, plum assignments and money from the national party) all contribute to the mess and disfunction we now see in Washington.

In the next election count on those who want to be President claiming Washington D.C is the problem and promising to fix it. No matter how sincere the promise, the system is corrupt and as the poster above noted, it has become more so now that Citizens United v. FEC made money free speech.

Last edited:

That's entirely untrue. From organized crime to the debacles in the financial industry to the food industry taking dangerous short cuts that threaten public health...

There's enough corruption all over.

What exactly do you think regulations are meant to address?

People are greedy. It's as simple as that.

And if there is nothing to keep them from doing something wrong...and it profits them personally..they will do it.

I would concur with Wry Catcher.

What I want to know is why 54% do not think politicians are corrupt. Are they that out of touch with reality?

I suspect there are some like TDM who would claim only Republican (or Democrat) politicians are corrupt but not 54% of us.

I would also agree with Avatar that we are all corrupt, but, I see degrees of corruption and in my view the world of national politics requires one to accept "favors" in order to get anywhere at all.

Immie

That's entirely untrue. From organized crime to the debacles in the financial industry to the food industry taking dangerous short cuts that threaten public health...

And if there is nothing to keep them from doing something wrong...and it profits them personally..they will do it.

Corruption and so called public service is a greater evil than corruption among criminals. Criminals by definition are corrupt.

Much like the mechanism that concentrates toxins in animals the higher they are on the food chain so does corruption concentrate itself the higher up one moves in the political hierarchy.

Corruption and so called public service is a greater evil than corruption among criminals. Criminals by definition are corrupt.

Much like the mechanism that concentrates toxins in animals the higher they are on the food chain so does corruption concentrate itself the higher up one moves in the political hierarchy.

:lol:

Problem is that same 46% thinks their representatives are great and will re-elect them.

Until last election, Adam Putnam was my representative. In every major issue that I looked up, he was pretty close to my point of view. To my knowledge he had not yet been involved in any scandals. If he had run again, I would have voted for him. Unfortunately, he ran for Commissioner of Agriculture and I got stuck with Dennis Ross.

Was Putnam "great"? No, but to date he seemed to have been better than anything else that was offered.

Immie

Last edited:

:lol:

I dont think it's laughable, rlly

But not in the corporate world? And why would public service be a greater evil than short cuts taken by the food industry which puts the public at risk? Or an industry which chooses to send heavy metals into our streams and rivers?

But not in the corporate world? And why would public service be a greater evil than short cuts taken by the food industry which puts the public at risk? Or an industry which chooses to send heavy metals into our streams and rivers?

If you can't separate the corporate world from politics then you are indeed simple of mind.

Corporations are self serving entities by definition. Corporations do not have the power or systemic reach that government has.

Politicians are not supposed to be self serving entities and have the power to alter our lives at every level and we all know that all politicians are more concerned with keeping their jobs rather than doing their jobs.

And compare how many corporations get away with tax fraud to the number of pols that do. There is an undeniable concentration of corruption in government.

Last edited:
Corruption and so called public service is a greater evil than corruption among criminals. Criminals by definition are corrupt. (huh, aren't all who are corrupted criminal?)

If you can't separate the corporate world from politics then you are indeed simple of mind.

Corporations are self serving entities by definition. Corporations do not have the power of systemic reach that government has.

Politicians are not supposed to be self serving entities and have the power to alter our lives at every level and we all know that all politicians are more concerned with keeping their jobs rather than doing their jobs.

And compare how many corporations get away with tax fraud to the number of pols that do. There is an undeniable concentration of corruption in government.
Proof? that, "There is an undeniable concentration of corruption in government"

Greater evil is like being more pregnant. Next time you call someone simple of mind maybe you ought to look in a mirror.

You preception is based on your bias (and possibly because you are simple of, mind? btw, in psyc 101 the first lecture in my freshman year the prof made a point, there is no such thing as a "mind", it is a literary invention).

As for tax fraud, how do you think (excuse the expression) ... why do you believe corporations engage in less tax fraud than do pols? My answer, because corporations buy members of congress to vote them tax benefits. (of course you offer no proof that corporations engage in less tax fraud than do pols). Does that idea challlenge your brain?

Last edited:

Corporations are self serving entities by definition. Corporations do not have the power of systemic reach that government has.

Greater evil is like being more pregnant. Next time you call someone simple of mind maybe you ought to look in a mirror.

You preception is based on your bias (and possibly because you are simple of, mind? btw, in psyc 101 the first lecture in my freshman year the prof made a point, there is no such thing as a "mind", it is a literary invention).

As for tax fraud, how do you think (excuse the expression) ... why do you believe corporations engage in less fraud than do pols? My answer, because corporations buy members of congress to vote them tax benefits. Does that idea challlenge your brain?

Not at all the fact that politicians can be bought actually proves my point.

The one who accepts a bribe is actually more corrupt than the one offering the bribe. Especially so when the one accepting the bribe is a public servant.

And again corporations and politics are apples and oranges so a comparison is not valid as far as corruption goes for the very simple reason I mentioned earlier so maybe you are actually brain damaged seeing you can't make that distinction.

Forum List

Back