45 years for Mel Hall

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
Ex MLB Player Gets 45 Years in Prison
Posted Jun 16, 2009 9:06 PM By SCHUYLER DIXON(AP)

FORT WORTH, Texas (June 16) -- Former major league outfielder Mel Hall was sentenced to 45 years in prison Wednesday after being convicted of raping a 12-year-old girl and sexually abusing or inappropriately touching three girls.

[excerpt]
Jurors reached the verdict on the punishment after about an hour of deliberating. They took about 90 minutes Tuesday to convict Hall on three counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child and two counts of indecency with a child. He must serve about 22 1/2 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole.
After the verdict was announced, prosecutor Kim D’Avignon read a brief statement on behalf of the 12-year-old victim and other of Hall’s accusers.
"We believe that the verdict does on some level show that the jury understood," D'Avignon said. "They looked in these girls’ eyes and said this is worth 40 years and we agree with them."
The defense had argued in the sentencing phase of the trial that Hall was a good man who mentored a lot of athletes and had a lot of good still to do.
"For all the good this man has done in his life, it seems like this was an excessive verdict," defense attorney Brady Wyatt said after the verdict.
Mell Hall Convicted In Sex Case -- Mlb FanHouse

45 years for this sounds about right to me. The defenses argument that he has been a mentor to young folks actually sounds like a reason to make the sentence longer rather than shorter.

For some reason there was a rash of these may-december things with school boys for a while. Made it kind of hard to prosecute, because the guys were pretty enthusiastic about having been offended.

45 years for this sounds about right to me. The defenses argument that he has been a mentor to young folks actually sounds like a reason to make the sentence longer rather than shorter.

For some reason there was a rash of these may-december things with school boys for a while. Made it kind of hard to prosecute, because the guys were pretty enthusiastic about having been offended.

I think we only care if males commit one, really.

I think we only care if males commit one, really.

If "we" is society in general, you're probably right

Teachers convicted of sex crimes still licensed - Las Vegas Sun

Teacher Convicted of Sex Crimes Still On Payroll While in Jail - PoliceLink

Former Wythe County teacher convicted of sex crimes - WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville |

Pisses me off when "role models" for kids do this shit, no matter whether they're male or female.

Well, either way, it is abuse of authority.

the reason for the double standard is based on the way men and women view sex. Girls just take larger physiological and psychological damage. Also, there is no way a guy can participate if he is not enthusiastic about the encounter.

There are women who take a 'slam bam thank you sir' attitude, but that is rare. Women by and large get more emotionally involved, so there is greater danger of abuse.

Pisses me off when "role models" for kids do this shit, no matter whether they're male or female.

It does suck, when a teacher does it, an athlete does it, a musician does it, a movie or t.v. star does it, or even when your next door neighbor or your co-worker does it, don't you think?

ANY adult that takes advantage of a child is a low life scum..............................

It does suck, when a teacher does it, an athlete does it, a musician does it, a movie or t.v. star does it, or even when your next door neighbor or your co-worker does it, don't you think?

ANY adult that takes advantage of a child is a low life scum..............................

but face it 99% of the time it's men

Maybe in the sexual abuse category, but in the physical and emotional abuse, there are many evil women out there that do unspeakable things to children....

Maybe in the sexual abuse category, but in the physical and emotional abuse, there are many evil women out there that do unspeakable things to children....

I was thinking primarily sexual. I'ts pretty much all men

It is rare among females

Breaking the last taboo: child sexual abuse by female perpetrators

I suspect that the reason is that males have more issues with power and control

It is rare among females

Breaking the last taboo: child sexual abuse by female perpetrators

I suspect that the reason is that males have more issues with power and control

Why?

Forum List

Back