45% for Obama, 49% Against – If Election Were Held Right Now

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Americans are a little less enthusiastic about the presidential candidacy of Barack Obama this time around.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 45% of adults say they would be at least somewhat likely to vote for Obama if he was up for reelection right now. Forty-nine percent (49%) say they would be unlikely to vote for the president’s reelection.

Thirty-four percent (34%) would be very likely to support Obama, while 40% say they would be not at all likely to do so.

The question did not specify whom the president would be running against and also was asked of all adults as opposed to just likely voters.

45% for Obama, 49% Against – If Election Were Held Right Now - Rasmussen Reports™

Americans are a little less enthusiastic about the presidential candidacy of Barack Obama this time around.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 45% of adults say they would be at least somewhat likely to vote for Obama if he was up for reelection right now. Forty-nine percent (49%) say they would be unlikely to vote for the president’s reelection.

Thirty-four percent (34%) would be very likely to support Obama, while 40% say they would be not at all likely to do so.

The question did not specify whom the president would be running against and also was asked of all adults as opposed to just likely voters.

45% for Obama, 49% Against – If Election Were Held Right Now - Rasmussen Reports™

As time goes on it's gonna be much worse for Obama, look at Virginia and the state of New Jersey today. New Jersey is 70% registered democrats yet the race is so close between Christy and Corzine, even though Obama has been out there campaigning for Corzine, that it's much too close to call. That's quite a turn around in his popularity already and we are only 11 months into his one and only term.

And if the Queen had a package she/he would be the King.

Besides, those numbers almost always change back when you go form the generic challenger to the specific.

That's always the issue. There was a period back in 2003-2004 when Bush was losing by greater than the m.o.e. in the polls to "Not Bush." Yet Kerry was such an idiot he managed to screw that up.

The big issue for the GOP is who's going to run against Obama. A lot of the candidates that could actually beat Obama are in danger of being devoured alive by the rising Teabaggers movement inside the GOP, while the rest are too insane to switch any of the states the GOP lost on election night.

2012 is a long ways away, and a lot can change. If the economy is solid, Obama will be very difficult to beat.

IF the election were held today, Obama would win by default as the GOP has no one to put on their ticket. That is unless a real third party candidate showed up, but I have seen hide nor hair of him either.

IF the election were held today, Obama would win by default as the GOP has no one to put on their ticket. That is unless a real third party candidate showed up, but I have seen hide nor hair of him either.

It doesn't strike you as a bad sign that they would vote for someone else, just as long as its not Obama? It is just a hypothetical, so no danger present. I'd spend a great deal of time showing Rusmussen is wrong and ignoring the result for at least three years, if I were you. :eusa_whistle:

It doesn't strike you as a bad sign that they would vote for someone else, just as long as its not Obama? It is just a hypothetical, so no danger present. I'd spend a great deal of time showing Rusmussen is wrong and ignoring the result for at least three years, if I were you. :eusa_whistle:

No, it doesn't. What part of our Democracy, and the fickleness of our voting public do you not understand?

Its literally not an issue at this point. Election Day 2012 is still 3 years out, campaigning is at least a year and a half out. If the GOP decides to go the "Anyone but Obama" route, they should check out how that worked for the DNC back in 2004.

You'll have to offer something more than "I'm not that other guy" to win. Who on the GOP side has even that to offer?

Oh, just testing the denial waters. Thanks for playing Dr. Traveler and VaYank5150.

Fact is that Mr BO is slipping fast in most all catagories.

Overall, 46% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-two percent (52%) disapprove.

The number who blame Obama’s policies for the nation’s economic woes has grown to 45%, the highest level yet. However, 49% still blame George W. Bush.

Confidence in the War on Terror has fallen to the lowest level in three years. Just 34% now believe the U.S. and its allies are winning, down from 62% earlier in the year

Following release of the House health care plan by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 42% of voters now support the Congressional effort while 54% are opposed.

Fifteen percent (15%) say that Congress is doing a good or an excellent job while 53% rate Congressional performance as poor.

And that is all from Likely voters.

Goodbye in 2012 BO

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Oh, just testing the denial waters. Thanks for playing Dr. Traveler and VaYank5150.

Seriously, come back in 2 years and it may matter. President's have a honeymoon period, and Obama's appears to be over already. Just because they look weak mid term doesn't mean they'll lose. Bush certainly didn't, and Clinton didn't either.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and Obama was up 60% to 40% against an unnamed challenger, I wouldn't be confident either. George H.W. Bush, who I really liked, had amazing approval ratings in 1991 to early 1992 and still managed to lose.

Polls like this don't mean crap until there's a guy running against the incumbent. If you don't buy that, ask Kerry.

Goodbye in 2012 BO

Democrats said the same thing in 2003 to Bush, Republican said the same thing to Clinton in 1993. Look at how that turned out.

Sitting Presidents are notoriously hard to unseat. Until you have a GOP candidate to fill in against Obama, polls don't mean much. Obama walks to victory versus most of the current GOP field.

A bit too early for these kinds of polls. This President is becoming more unpopular but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't win if an election were held today. Many used to often screech about how bad George Bush was going to lose to the Democrat when he was up for re-election too. How did that work out for the Dems? Just too early for these polls to mean much in my opinion.

Wow....imagine that 46% and he is still going to kick the shit out of the republican challenger

It sucks being a republican

Wow....imagine that 46% and he is still going to kick the shit out of the republican challenger

There are a few Republican Challengers that could make 2012 an actual race worth watching. For example: Mitt Rommney.

The problem is that the ones that can make it a race are going to get eaten alive by the surging teabagger movement in the GOP. Rommney won't get past the Teabaggers and SoCons, which is a true crying shame. I think Boehner and Pawlenty would be less successful against Obama, but face similar issues in the GOP.

Instead, the GOP is going to nominate someone like Jindal or Palin who can't flip a single state from the 2008 election. Looks like I'll be in bed by 8 on election night.

Regardless of his 54% approval ratings (Yes it is 54%), Obama will have the luxury of running against a republican in 2012.

Can it be any easier than that??

There are a few Republican Challengers that could make 2012 an actual race worth watching. For example: Mitt Rommney.

The problem is that the ones that can make it a race are going to get eaten alive by the surging teabagger movement in the GOP. Rommney won't get past the Teabaggers and SoCons, which is a true crying shame. I think Boehner and Pawlenty would be less successful against Obama, but face similar issues in the GOP.

Instead, the GOP is going to nominate someone like Jindal or Palin who can't flip a single state from the 2008 election. Looks like I'll be in bed by 8 on election night.

I seriously doubt that either Jindal or Palin will be on the ticket. Boehner i could support, depending on who else steps up. But Mr Obama is losing his popularity fast.

He has fallen to 46% approval.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Interestingly, Obama has an average approval rating of 51%... and that's only because it's dragged down by Rasmussen's outlier poll of 46%...

i'm figuring to trust the average ...

but whatever rocks your worlds

I seriously doubt that either Jindal or Palin will be on the ticket. Boehner i could support, depending on who else steps up. But Mr Obama is losing his popularity fast.

He has fallen to 46% approval.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

And the rebublican front runner is?

Umm...umm.....not that guy
Umm...maybe that guy but the teabaggers will get him

Umm...um maybe somebody we don't know

republicans have no candidates, no message and no funding

Did I mention the economy is recovering?

Forum List

Back