$42 a month

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Ravi, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    I read elsewhere here that it would cost $42 a month for a single person to get health insurance.

That is less than a quarter of what I pay for a family of four with no dental, eye, or prescription coverage.

And I'm expected to be sympathetic.

Well, guess what? I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I'm 36 and it is costing me $202 a month on the private market.

Still I'm coming out ahead if you figure out what I've paid in the last decade vs what they've paid out. (Gall Bladder & ACL Surgeries! are the major costs. My average per month insurance bill is something like $142 over that time. $17,000 in insurance costs. More for them surgeries and associated ultra sounds, MRI's, rehab and the like.)

Where is this $42 a month plan? What are its details? I'll look at it and if its good enough to have kept me in the middle class this last decade.

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Coal Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,261
    The devil is in the details, your quality of healthcare will plummet

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I think people with money will have the same coverage they always had. People in the middle will have coverage they didn't have before.

There seems to be an intentional effort to equate health coverage with 'government provided healthcare'. I think that totally distorts the reality. And I think that is an intentional distortion by insurance companies.

5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Is this a play on words? Something like "if all the healthy folks paid into insurance then it would only cost $42 per person."

I support Healthcare reform in the worst way but know in my old age I'm going to expect to receive every expensive new technology to keep my sorry but alive an extra month.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Something wrong with that picture, we pay $750/mo for two people with a large well known company plus co-pays for meds that have gone from predominantly from $10 to $25 and $50 PER and we all know why I am sure they are sneaking these increases in under our noses.

For $42/mo for single, whats the cost for two. And what does SINGLE have to do with someones health status? :lol: Does that mean IF that SINGLE person gets married, their $42/month rises to some insane number? WTF's with that?

Time to get a divorce go and for my $42/mo times two and get a $1400/mo raise plus! :lol:
    Believe me...THERE'S A CATCH.

7. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I doubt it is a ceiling free, 90/10, $5 copay, $50 deductible, go to any doctor, everything is covered insurance plan.

8. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I am on an HMO Insurance through my employer. For my daughter and myself, I pay about 50 bucks a week.

My co-pay at the doctor is $20, and the prescriptions went from $10 to $20 this year. With her tonsil problems this year, I have been very thankful for having such good coverage. AND, whenever I had to make an emergency appoitment for her, they got us right in. She has to have surgery this summer, again, thank goodness I have insurance.

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    I guess you get what you pay for, but $42 a month seems low. My son works for a small company and does not get insurance. I pay $117 a month for a stripped down policy with no benefits. Thankfully, with the new Healthcare Law, I can put him back on my policy

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    I pay nothing per month for healthcare insurance and raised five kids to the age of majority without that so-called benefit.