$42 a month

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I read elsewhere here that it would cost $42 a month for a single person to get health insurance.

That is less than a quarter of what I pay for a family of four with no dental, eye, or prescription coverage.

And I'm expected to be sympathetic.

Well, guess what? I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read elsewhere here that it would cost $42 a month for a single person to get health insurance.
I'm 36 and it is costing me $202 a month on the private market.

Still I'm coming out ahead if you figure out what I've paid in the last decade vs what they've paid out. (Gall Bladder & ACL Surgeries! are the major costs. My average per month insurance bill is something like $142 over that time. $17,000 in insurance costs. More for them surgeries and associated ultra sounds, MRI's, rehab and the like.)

Where is this $42 a month plan? What are its details? I'll look at it and if its good enough to have kept me in the middle class this last decade.

The devil is in the details, your quality of healthcare will plummet

I think people with money will have the same coverage they always had. People in the middle will have coverage they didn't have before.

There seems to be an intentional effort to equate health coverage with 'government provided healthcare'. I think that totally distorts the reality. And I think that is an intentional distortion by insurance companies.

Is this a play on words? Something like "if all the healthy folks paid into insurance then it would only cost $42 per person."

I support Healthcare reform in the worst way but know in my old age I'm going to expect to receive every expensive new technology to keep my sorry but alive an extra month.

Something wrong with that picture, we pay $750/mo for two people with a large well known company plus co-pays for meds that have gone from predominantly from $10 to $25 and $50 PER and we all know why I am sure they are sneaking these increases in under our noses.

For $42/mo for single, whats the cost for two. And what does SINGLE have to do with someones health status? :lol: Does that mean IF that SINGLE person gets married, their $42/month rises to some insane number? WTF's with that?

Time to get a divorce go and for my $42/mo times two and get a $1400/mo raise plus! :lol:
Believe me...THERE'S A CATCH.

I doubt it is a ceiling free, 90/10, $5 copay, $50 deductible, go to any doctor, everything is covered insurance plan.

I am on an HMO Insurance through my employer. For my daughter and myself, I pay about 50 bucks a week.

My co-pay at the doctor is $20, and the prescriptions went from $10 to $20 this year. With her tonsil problems this year, I have been very thankful for having such good coverage. AND, whenever I had to make an emergency appoitment for her, they got us right in. She has to have surgery this summer, again, thank goodness I have insurance.

I guess you get what you pay for, but $42 a month seems low. My son works for a small company and does not get insurance. I pay $117 a month for a stripped down policy with no benefits. Thankfully, with the new Healthcare Law, I can put him back on my policy

Last edited:
I pay nothing per month for healthcare insurance and raised five kids to the age of majority without that so-called benefit.

That is less than a quarter of what I pay for a family of four with no dental, eye, or prescription coverage.

I would like to see a link to that and know what insurance company was providing the coverage, limits, deductibles etc. etc. etc.

Immie

Wow, just look at all these low premiums. So when the democwats were screaming about the "unsustainable" cost of premiums I guess they were lying huh?

I think remember reading that, too, and aksing the author if he'd be kind enough to tell us with what company he got such cheap insurance.

As I recall I never got an answer.

It was... oh how can I put this so that it isn't thought to be insulting?

It was, I think, a boldfaced lie.

I would like to see a link to that and know what insurance company was providing the coverage, limits, deductibles etc. etc. etc.

Immie

Again, my experience is three times that for a horrible policy with high deductables and a low catastrophic limit. Then again, if the kid has a pre-existing condition he might as well forget it

Immie

Again, my experience is three times that for a horrible policy with high deductables and a low catastrophic limit. Then again, if the kid has a pre-existing condition he might as well forget it

My previous employer was paying over $300/month for single coverage. Don't remember the exact figure. I think it was in the neighborhood of $340/month.

I find the $42 to be... how might I say this delicately? Unbelievable?

It sounds more like a term life insurance policy than a health insurance policy.

Immie

I am poor and can't afford insurance... so I go to the local emergency room with my 3 kids and get taken care of. They legally have to accept us and treat us.

I get bills but don't pay them... so I have great coverage.

Last edited:
Wow, just look at all these low premiums. So when the democwats were screaming about the "unsustainable" cost of premiums I guess they were lying huh?
None of this takes place in a vacuum. The states with the most onerous regulations, interference with the market, and the most mandates, while not accepting political responsibility for keeping problems like pre-existing conditions covered by creating high risk pools (when they haven't already driven a pool of insurance companies out of their states), will have higher rates, and fewer insurance carriers; Maine for instance has only a single insurance carrier, the highest rates, and has a system reminiscent of Obamacare).

Those states which avoid the above pitfalls have much lower rates and an abundance of insurance carriers to choose from which promotes competition, partly because insurance companies know they have a reliable marketplace and can make sound actuarial computations.

Indiana has 23 insurance carriers, 175 plans and a 20-year old man can insure with a $2,000 deductible for $53/mo with Wellpoint, or in the state high risk pool for $179/mo (age 19-26) regardless of the pre-existing condition, including incurable diseases like MS, or incurable cancer.

I don't know the rate in Maine, but in NY the same 20-year old would pay $832 which is almost 16 times more for the same insurance as in Indiana.

Last edited:
I am poor and can't afford insurance... so I go to the local emergency room with my 3 kids and get taken care of. They legally have to accept us and treat us.

I get bills but don't pay them... so I have great coverage.

That is why it was necessary to fix our healthcare system

Forum List

Back