400 Troops and Patriot Missiles being sent to Turkey

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;6492839 said:

Yes. It's what NATO partners do when one of them faces a potential threat. It's always been a system of collective defence with member states agreeing to mutual defence in response to any threat of attack by any external party. So what's your point?

My point obviously missed was the troops leaving one war for yet another. I thought that was clear by my comment of "They are being pulled from Afghanistan, from the fire into the frying pan". I guess everyone assumes political instead of thinking of the men and women who are being slung into each of these messes.

CaféAuLait;6492839 said:

There have been partisan hacks who have brought up these troop movements and made them out to be some kind of dictatorial behavior on Obama's part. As if no President has ever ordered troop movements before to protect our interests or honor our international commitments to our allies.

That's why you saw the reaction you did in this topic to this point. Some of us are starting to get a little testy over the manufactured bullshit.

CaféAuLait;6492839 said:

There have been partisan hacks who have brought up these troop movements and made them out to be some kind of dictatorial behavior on Obama's part. As if no President has ever ordered troop movements before to protect our interests or honor our international commitments to our allies.

That's why you saw the reaction you did in this topic to this point. Some of us are starting to get a little testy over the manufactured bullshit.

Last night when I made the post at 2 AM, I was half asleep, but I made no mention of Obama, only the troops-- however I do see I placed this in poltics and not military. So perhaps that was my mistake.

CaféAuLait;6496347 said:
if there are no patriot batteries in afghanistan, then i don't think the troops are coming from there.

The article stated that is where they were coming from, thus my comment.

i must have missed it

The article was updated at 10 AM this morning. I posted it last night at 2 AM. So perhaps they changed the wording < it was breaking news> as it now reads Panetta was enroute from Afghanistan to Turkey. Last night it said the troops were being moved from Afghanistan to Turkey and adding the Patriot batteries.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
CaféAuLait;6496347 said:
if there are no patriot batteries in afghanistan, then i don't think the troops are coming from there.

No it didn't. This is what it stated:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed a deployment order en route to Turkey from Afghanistan calling for 400 U.S. soldiers to operate two batteries of Patriots at undisclosed locations in Turkey, Pentagon press secretary George Little told reporters flying with Panetta.

CaféAuLait;6496347 said:

No it didn't. This is what it stated:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed a deployment order en route to Turkey from Afghanistan calling for 400 U.S. soldiers to operate two batteries of Patriots at undisclosed locations in Turkey, Pentagon press secretary George Little told reporters flying with Panetta.

See post 12.

CaféAuLait;6492839 said:
They are being pulled from Afghanistan, from the fire into the frying pan.
Into the frying pan??

Turkey is a very stable democracy with a with a democratically elected president.

Our troops shouldn't have any problem there; in fact, we have had U.S. military bases in Turkey dating back to the 60's :cool:

Granny says, "Dat's right - dat's how we got involved in Vietnam; sendin' in 'advisors'...

How the Patriot deployment to Turkey will work
December 14th, 2012 - U.S. troops will be in direct position for the first time to take action against the government of Syrian President Bashr al-Assad with the deployment of 400 American forces and two Patriot missile batteries in Turkey, possibly as soon as mid-January.
The missiles and troops will be under the overall control of NATO. But the missiles will be operated by U.S. forces with the ability to choose whether to override computer systems that automatically order firing against any incoming Scud missiles, according to U.S. military officials. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced that he had signed orders for the Patriot missiles, emphasizing that he was sending a clear message to Syria that NATO will defend Turkey. Syrian rocket and artillery fire have landed in Turkey and Syria has launched short range Scuds close to the Turkish border. "We've made very clear to them that were going to protect countries in this region," Panetta said. "We have to act to do what we have to do to make sure that we defend ourselves and make sure that Turkey can defend itself."

Turkey asked for Patriot missiles as a defensive measure after several Turkish civilians were killed in cross border incidents. But the recent Scud firings also clearly changed the alliance's view of the risks on the expanding battlefield. "Scuds, which are medium surface-to-surface missiles, are particularly worrisome because they can carry chemical payloads," said Adm. James Stavridis, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, in a posting on his blog. Stavridis said the missiles will "protect major population centers in Turkey from any possible incursions into NATO airspace." The 400 U.S. troops will comprise all support elements, including communications, intelligence and basic supply and transportation forces.

It was not clear yet which Patriot units would be sent, but U.S. military officials said it would likely be the most advanced version specifically designed to fire and hit incoming Scuds very quickly. U.S. officers in charge of the actual fire control element of the system would be able to override the automatic firing mode. But the entire sequence of decisions happens within a few minutes of a Scud launch. So the reality is that troops in the field, rather than senior commanders at NATO headquarters in Brussels or in Washington, will be making those key decisions, according to those US military officials. With the addition of Patriot batteries from Germany and the Netherlands, it is expected that a total of six Patriot systems will be deployed just a few miles from the Syrian border inside Turkey. A U.S. military advance team is expected in Turkey within days for a final site survey.

A key issue officials said would be how to precisely place the Patriot missile radar elements to get maximum warning of a launch from inside Syria since it may not be certain where those launch points are located. Not only would the Patriots pick up early warning of a launch, but so would overhead U.S. military satellites that are able to detect the initial infrared signature of a missile launch and then warn the Patriot units on the ground. Stavridis confirmed that the U.S. units, along with the other Patriot batteries, will be directly tied into NATO's extensive air defense system in southern Europe. "I will retain operational command responsibility for the deployment of the six Patriot batteries. Over the coming days and weeks, we will train and exercise the layers of command down to the actual Patriot battery to make sure we are ready to expeditiously engage any potential incoming missiles," Stavridis said.

Source

How the Patriot deployment to Turkey will work
(...)

It will work as sales exhibition.

ssm.gov.tr - Long Range Air And Missile Defence System Project

Bids were received and the proposals are now under evaluation, one of the bidders is Raytheon with Patriots.

The competitors for this program include U.S. partners Raytheon and Lockheed Martin with their Patriot-based system; Eurosam with its SAMP/T Aster 30; Russia’s Rosoboronexport, marketing the country’s S300 and S400 systems; and China’s CPMIEC (China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corporation), offering its HQ-9.
BUSINESS - Raytheon sweetens offer with new system

Keepin' Syria out of Turkey...
:clap2:
US could defend Turkey from Syrian strikes by Saturday
January 8, 2013 — Most of the U.S. contingent deploying to help defend Turkey from any spillover of Syria’s civil war is already on the ground and could be operational as early as Saturday, American military officials said Tuesday.
Meanwhile, aircraft problems have kept a Germany-based command-and-control element of some 30 soldiers from the 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command grounded in Europe, said Maj. Joel Johnson, operations officer for the 10th AAMDC. The element, based at Rhine Ordnance Barracks adjacent to Ramstein Air Base, will serve as an intermediary between American Patriot missile batteries and NATO commanders.

The bulk of the U.S. force is coming from the Army’s 3rd Battalion, 2nd Air Defense Artillery, which began streaming into Turkey late Friday night, “and it’s been a pretty constant flow since then,” Air Force 1st Lt. David Liapis, a spokesman for the Air Force’s 39th Air Base Wing at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey, said Tuesday. “I would say the bulk of the personnel and equipment are already here.” An advance team of soldiers from U.S. Army Europe arrived at Incirlik Thursday to begin scouting around the Turkish city of Gaziantep, where the batteries will set up to help protect Turkey from possible missiles fired from Syria. Gaziantep is less than 80 miles from the embattled city of Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Germany and the Netherlands are each sending two Patriot batteries as well and will deploy to other parts of the Turkish-Syrian border. Their systems shipped out early Tuesday from the Dutch port city of Eindhoven and are expected in Turkey by Jan. 21, Germany’s Federal Ministry of Defense announced Tuesday in a statement. “The German contingent includes more than 400 soldiers and consists basically of two Patriot fire units of the Air Force,” the German statement said. “A fire unit comprises up to eight launchers with eight missiles in the initial loading, a fire control station and a multi-function radar.”

Turkey’s request for NATO air defense support came after cross-border shelling killed several Turkish civilians in October. In all, NATO allies are sending six batteries and about 1,200 troops for the mission, dubbed Active Fence. Despite two days of delays for the 10th AAMDC team, Johnson said the American Patriot batteries could be operational by Saturday. “However, that is subject to further review by NATO,” he said. “We will be able to assume that mission if we need to based on NATO’s guidance.” The entire NATO system isn’t expected to be fully operational until early February, Johnson said.

Source

New Topics

Forum List

Back