40% Of U.S. Moms Unmarried

EZ, there is such a thing as protected sex and even abstinence. :)

If they can take care of their kids the who the hell cares?

While there are plenty of great single parents, and there are also many destructive marriages where the kids would be better off in a single parent home, the fact is that children generally do better when they are raised in a loving family with both a mother and father there for them.

I'm raising my kids on my own, and they are doing very well. That does not mean it woulnd't be better for them if they had their Mom here too. While we can make jokes about unwed mothers raising kids, we should be concentrating of finding a way to encourage young people to marry before bringing children into this world. No, it's not always possible, but it is something we should work toward.

If anyone wants to argue that as a general rule it makes no difference to the children whether or not they are raised by both a Mother and Father, or by a single parent, then I would have to question that person's intelligence.

I agree. To piggyback on what you just said:

Yesterday, I was driving around and passed by a day care center. I was reading their sign because it caught my attention with the yellow back and colorful handprints all around. It said that they take children beginning at age 2 weeks. Two weeks!!! The baby is barely out of the womb and someone is bringing the baby into institutionalized day care. Yes, that's taking care alright.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AiCIZ9wM1o[/ame]

Drag to 1:29 to see father penguin taking over warming duty so that mother can go feed herself. Children's security come from the loving relationship that they see between their mother and father.

Now, there are some members of this board who are truly offended when I say this because their own situation doesn't jive with this picture of mother, father and child. If you are raising your child on your own because you had to divorce your crummy husband or wife, and you're doing the best you can, good for you. If you are child that was raised by a single parent and you feel you didn't suffer, good for you, feel blessed. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

All I am saying is think twice.

EZ, there is such a thing as protected sex and even abstinence. :)

While there are plenty of great single parents, and there are also many destructive marriages where the kids would be better off in a single parent home, the fact is that children generally do better when they are raised in a loving family with both a mother and father there for them.

I'm raising my kids on my own, and they are doing very well. That does not mean it woulnd't be better for them if they had their Mom here too. While we can make jokes about unwed mothers raising kids, we should be concentrating of finding a way to encourage young people to marry before bringing children into this world. No, it's not always possible, but it is something we should work toward.

If anyone wants to argue that as a general rule it makes no difference to the children whether or not they are raised by both a Mother and Father, or by a single parent, then I would have to question that person's intelligence.

No, there is evidence that two parent families, where one works and the other remains home, is more capable of caring for the children, not that they are raised better.

No, there is evidence that two parent families, where one works and the other remains home, is more capable of caring for the children, not that they are raised better.

I'd love to see that evidence.

Some 40 percent of U.S. moms are unmarried

ATLANTA, May 13 (UPI) -- The trend of U.S. mothers being unmarried was stable from the mid-1990s to 2002, but there was a steep increase from 2002 to 2007, health officials said.

A report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics said from 1980 to 2007, the proportion of births to unmarried women in the United States has more than doubled, from 18 percent to 40 percent.

Nearly one-third of births to women ages 25-29 were non-marital in 2007, up from one-fourth in 2002.

The report also found:

-- Birth rates for unmarried Hispanic women was 106 births per 1,000, non-Hispanic unmarried black women are 72 per 1,000 and non-Hispanic white women are 32 per 1,000

-- The vast majority of teen mothers were unmarried. Among teens ages 15-17, 93 percent of births were non-marital in 2007, while among teens aged 18-19, 84 percent of births were non-marital.

-- In 2007, 45 percent of births to women in their 20s were to unmarried women. Sixty percent of births to women aged 20-24 were non-marital in 2007, up from 52 percent in 2002.

Some 40 percent of U.S. moms are unmarried - UPI.com

A report by the Centers for Disease Control

A birth is not a disease.

Sorry, but I disagree completely, and it doesn't matter whether one parent stays home while the other works, or if they both work. Children raised by a loving mother and father tend to do better in the long run, although that is not the rule for all.

The usual internet forum response to this ABSOLUTE CRISIS of illegitimacy drowning this country is not surprising. To them its a big joke or even a "good thing." The pain and hurt of these tens upon tens of millions of children being denied the human right to a two parent family means nothing to the cliche anti-moral internet forum scum.

While I don't necessarily agree with their choice, a great many of these parents are raising the children together (a two-parent family) even though they've chosen not to marry. How is that a crisis?

washingtonpost.com

Forum List

Back