40% Of U.S. Moms Unmarried

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
Some 40 percent of U.S. moms are unmarried

ATLANTA, May 13 (UPI) -- The trend of U.S. mothers being unmarried was stable from the mid-1990s to 2002, but there was a steep increase from 2002 to 2007, health officials said.

A report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics said from 1980 to 2007, the proportion of births to unmarried women in the United States has more than doubled, from 18 percent to 40 percent.

Nearly one-third of births to women ages 25-29 were non-marital in 2007, up from one-fourth in 2002.

The report also found:

-- Birth rates for unmarried Hispanic women was 106 births per 1,000, non-Hispanic unmarried black women are 72 per 1,000 and non-Hispanic white women are 32 per 1,000

-- The vast majority of teen mothers were unmarried. Among teens ages 15-17, 93 percent of births were non-marital in 2007, while among teens aged 18-19, 84 percent of births were non-marital.

-- In 2007, 45 percent of births to women in their 20s were to unmarried women. Sixty percent of births to women aged 20-24 were non-marital in 2007, up from 52 percent in 2002.

Some 40 percent of U.S. moms are unmarried - UPI.com

So does that mean 40% of US fathers are unmarried? Or at least not married to the mother/s of their children?

Who cares anyway? Gettimg married is so gay.

So does that mean 40% of US fathers are unmarried? Or at least not married to the mother/s of their children?

Who cares anyway? Gettimg married is so gay.

That's so funny. Getting married is so gay. I love it.

I think what this tells us is that straight people, ON THEIR OWN, have ruined the sanctity of marriage.

They didn't need gays help.

The usual internet forum response to this ABSOLUTE CRISIS of illegitimacy drowning this country is not surprising. To them its a big joke or even a "good thing." The pain and hurt of these tens upon tens of millions of children being denied the human right to a two parent family means nothing to the cliche anti-moral internet forum scum.

• Banned
I think what this tells us is that straight people, ON THEIR OWN, have ruined the sanctity of marriage.

They didn't need gays help.
It is not that they "have ruined the sanctity of marriage", they are not even getting married, thats the point.

What this is ruining is childrens lives and Americas future.

• Banned
It means that America is being consumed by the people of the third worlds.

How do you conclude that?

"Birth rates for unmarried Hispanic women was 106 births per 1,000, non-Hispanic unmarried black women are 72 per 1,000 and non-Hispanic white women are 32 per 1,000"

The usual internet forum response to this ABSOLUTE CRISIS of illegitimacy drowning this country is not surprising. To them its a big joke or even a "good thing." The pain and hurt of these tens upon tens of millions of children being denied the human right to a two parent family means nothing to the cliche anti-moral internet forum scum.

Hey, start paying dad a decent wage and mom can stay home.

Who cares anyway?
The stats say mostly white people.

that's pretty funny given that the largest demographic of people on welfare are white single mothers.

so much for abstinence only, eh?

maybe THAT is what changed between 2002 and 2007.

So should these woman abort these children so they aren't born to unwed mothers?

How do you conclude that?

"Birth rates for unmarried Hispanic women was 106 births per 1,000, non-Hispanic unmarried black women are 72 per 1,000 and non-Hispanic white women are 32 per 1,000"

So you conclude that all blacks and all hispanics are from the third world.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of those hispanic and black mothers were born in the USA.

So should these woman abort these children so they aren't born to unwed mothers?

well, at least we can count on it for a strong pro reproductive choice stance.

EZ, there is such a thing as protected sex and even abstinence. :)

If they can take care of their kids the who the hell cares?

Yes, but we are humans, and sometimes people don't always use a condom or stay virgins until they are married.

I just want him/her to answer my question, do they think the woman should abort the child instead of having it if they are unwed? Seems like a simple enough question.Yes or no?

Who cares anyway?
The stats say mostly white people.

that's pretty funny given that the largest demographic of people on welfare are white single mothers.

so much for abstinence only, eh?

maybe THAT is what changed between 2002 and 2007.

Since whites are the majority, this is not a suprise. Now, tell us the percentages on welfare by race. That should be more meaningful.

If they can take care of their kids the who the hell cares?

While there are plenty of great single parents, and there are also many destructive marriages where the kids would be better off in a single parent home, the fact is that children generally do better when they are raised in a loving family with both a mother and father there for them.

I'm raising my kids on my own, and they are doing very well. That does not mean it woulnd't be better for them if they had their Mom here too. While we can make jokes about unwed mothers raising kids, we should be concentrating of finding a way to encourage young people to marry before bringing children into this world. No, it's not always possible, but it is something we should work toward.

If anyone wants to argue that as a general rule it makes no difference to the children whether or not they are raised by both a Mother and Father, or by a single parent, then I would have to question that person's intelligence.

Yes, but we are humans, and sometimes people don't always use a condom or stay virgins until they are married.

I just want him/her to answer my question, do they think the woman should abort the child instead of having it if they are unwed? Seems like a simple enough question.Yes or no?

No.

Forum List

Back