4-Year-Old Can Be Sued, Judge Rules in Bike Case

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

She was racing another 4 year old on her bike...

Citing cases dating back as far as 1928, a judge has ruled that a young girl accused of running down an elderly woman while racing a bicycle with training wheels on a Manhattan sidewalk two years ago can be sued for negligence.

“A parent’s presence alone does not give a reasonable child carte blanche to engage in risky behavior such as running across a street,” the judge wrote. He added that any “reasonably prudent child,” who presumably has been told to look both ways before crossing a street, should know that dashing out without looking is dangerous, with or without a parent there. The crucial factor is whether the parent encourages the risky behavior; if so, the child should not be held accountable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyregion/29young.html?_r=1

She was FOUR freaking years old. WTF is going on in America?

when i was 5, i hit a softball through someone's window....broke it. my mom went to the owner of the house with me, and apologized for what i did and offered to pay for the new window to replace the one i damaged, even though it was an accident, on my part....and even though we were poor and mom had to make arrangements with this neighbor to make weekly installments till it was paid. My quarter a week allowance was taken away from me for a while as well....

i am not certain if my situation relates, or not....but this story brought it to mind....more how things have changed....back then, we faced who we wronged, and offered our own restitution without ''the courts''...

i also learned to be more careful...

CaféAuLait;2908313 said:

She was racing another 4 year old on her bike...

Citing cases dating back as far as 1928, a judge has ruled that a young girl accused of running down an elderly woman while racing a bicycle with training wheels on a Manhattan sidewalk two years ago can be sued for negligence.

“A parent’s presence alone does not give a reasonable child carte blanche to engage in risky behavior such as running across a street,” the judge wrote. He added that any “reasonably prudent child,” who presumably has been told to look both ways before crossing a street, should know that dashing out without looking is dangerous, with or without a parent there. The crucial factor is whether the parent encourages the risky behavior; if so, the child should not be held accountable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyregion/29young.html?_r=1

She was FOUR freaking years old. WTF is going on in America?

This is the most moronic thing I've read. FOUR?? The judge is a fucking idiot not only in the ruling of the four year old, but in the bolded above.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safe Administration (NHTSA) children, even in the same grade, vary in their readiness to handle traffic situations, such as choosing a safe time to cross a street. In general, children are not ready to cross a street alone until age 10.* Ideally parents are a central figure in their children's safety education. Parents have the best opportunities to effectively assess their individual child's skills and teach safe behavior in the course of daily life so they should be encouraged to participate in their child's safety education. It is also important to emphasize to children that they need to check with their parents before walking or bicycling alone. Children may believe that because they have been taught how to cross a street, for example, that they are ready to do so on their own.

National Center for Safe Routes to School: At what age can children walk to school by themselves?

Why? Younger children are short and cannot see far enough down the road or around parked cars, cannot judge the speed of the car like an older child/adult can, cannot judge if they have enough time to cross before the car hits them; they have not matured enough to do this.

i don't think the child should be held negligent at that age.

but her parents, could be.

my mom and dad took responsibility for what damage i had caused is not unreasonable.

when i was 5, i hit a softball through someone's window....broke it. my mom went to the owner of the house with me, and apologized for what i did and offered to pay for the new window to replace the one i damaged, even though it was an accident, on my part....and even though we were poor and mom had to make arrangements with this neighbor to make weekly installments till it was paid. My quarter a week allowance was taken away from me for a while as well....

i am not certain if my situation relates, or not....but this story brought it to mind....more how things have changed....back then, we faced who we wronged, and offered our own restitution without ''the courts''...

i also learned to be more careful...

I did the same with my four year old when she broke a window. What restitution other than an apology can she come up with? For the rest of her life she will be paying any judgment that may be handed down if it is large.

IMO this is setting a dangerous precedent. Show me a "reasonably prudent" four year old. Does such a creature even exist?

I can understand allowing the suit to go forward, but why would anyone want to sue a four year old? They have no money. How many juries are going to be like "She would have known better." It's a 4 year old.

I've heard that it's actually this woman's estate that is suing the kid. Apparently she died at a later point of time for something unrelated. At least if I heard correctly.

So stupid.

I can understand allowing the suit to go forward, but why would anyone want to sue a four year old? They have no money. How many juries are going to be like "She would have known better." It's a 4 year old.

I've heard that it's actually this woman's estate that is suing the kid. Apparently she died at a later point of time for something unrelated. At least if I heard correctly.

So stupid.

the suit names the parents and child....it should not include the child imho.

yup this is america where you sue anyone of any age.

Seriously common sense is no more in this country.

Must be a Libertarian Judge, they believe that suing people of any age is appropriate punishment. In fact it is the corner stone of their Judicial belief.

From the OPs link:

The suit that Justice Wooten allowed to proceed claims that in April 2009, Juliet Breitman and Jacob Kohn, who were both 4, were racing their bicycles, under the supervision of their mothers, Dana Breitman and Rachel Kohn, on the sidewalk of a building on East 52nd Street. At some point in the race, they struck an 87-year-old woman named Claire Menagh, who was walking in front of the building and, according to the complaint, was “seriously and severely injured,” suffering a hip fracture that required surgery. She died three months later of unrelated causes.

Yes, suing isnt out of the question.

From the OPs link:

The suit that Justice Wooten allowed to proceed claims that in April 2009, Juliet Breitman and Jacob Kohn, who were both 4, were racing their bicycles, under the supervision of their mothers, Dana Breitman and Rachel Kohn, on the sidewalk of a building on East 52nd Street. At some point in the race, they struck an 87-year-old woman named Claire Menagh, who was walking in front of the building and, according to the complaint, was “seriously and severely injured,” suffering a hip fracture that required surgery. She died three months later of unrelated causes.

Yes, suing isnt out of the question.

Because those four year olds are reasonably prudent after they have had their nap and arrived home from head start or pre-k.

Why not, most kids are being taught about homosexuality at that age too.

Every law student in America knows the case of the little five year old who mischeiviously pulled away a lawn chair as an adult was sitting, causing the adult to be injured. The child was liable because the court found he had the capacity to form the requisite intent...he did deliberately pull away the chair and he did know the adult would fall as a result. The child did not intend the adult to be injured, but even in an adult defendant that would not matter. The act was wrongful and deliberate, and the defendant takes the consequences.

Unlike in criminal law, neither insanity nor infancy are defenses for intentional torts. However, intent is subjective and requires that the defendant actually desires or be substantially certain the elements of the tort will occur. Consequently, if the defendant is extremely mentally impaired or very young, she may not actually possess the requisite intent.

For example, if A, a one-year-old, pulls the trigger of a gun, she may intend to pull the trigger, but not intend a battery and for that reason not be liable. The child or the insane person need not, however, appreciate the significance or wrongness of their act. If a child knows an adult will fall when he pulls a chair from under her, he intends wrongful contact and consequently a battery, without the need to prove the child intended serious harm.

From a moral perspective, it would appear questionable to impose liability on individuals too immature or mentally impaired to know right from wrong. On the other hand, the law of torts is not criminal law and does not condemn, but only shifts the economic burdens of loss. Should the victim bear the loss when the insane or juvenile defendant has assets to pay for the loss inflicted by their conduct? From an accident avoidance perspective, one can argue that liability encourages those responsible for preserving the insane or juvenile’s assets to control the risks presented by such defendants. Such arguments, however, ignore the proposition that the guardians themselves may, in many instances, be personally liable for their negligent failure to adequately supervise juveniles or the insane.

Intent is an interesting legal thingie. Consider:

Coleman v. Notre Dame Convalescent Home, 968 F. Supp. 809 (Conn.
1997) (patient suffering from senile dementia could be held liable for battery); McGuire
v. Almy, 8 N.E.2d 760 (Mass. 1937) (insane person intended harmful contact); Cornell v. Cornell, 42 B.R. 860 (1984) (bankruptcy court holds seven year-old capable of forming intent for arson).