4 out of 5 of America's biggest companies paid $0 of Federal tax in 2009

I want to make it clear that I didn't grow my business for anything other than making profit and providing for my wife and myself. My intention was not charity. My people work for their money. Their motivation is not charity either.

However, as a result of my company growing, I contribute quite a bit to the economy. I paid a shit load in taxes, and I employ a chunk of people. That is a by product that came from my motivation to make profit.
It doesn't bother you that your company paid more in income taxes than ExxonMobil? How many more people could you afford to hire, how much could your business expand, if you paid ZERO income tax?

My company didn't pay about $77 billion in taxes like Exxon did.

You mean 7.7 billion in sales taxes and duties. So your company is exempt from sales taxes and duties? How did you get that?

Of course our tax laws are very complex.

But who among us has full time lobbyists working on our behalf to make them more complex?

Exxon does.

In fact I'd venture so far as to say every fortune 500 company in America hires lobbyist to keep the tax laws highly complex...on their behalf, of course.

Can't blame them for doing that, really

When whores are available for hire to the highest bidder, some wealthy people are apt to buy the services of whores.

We can fix this... the very moment we can convince the whores to change regulations outlawing their own whorish behaviors.

I'd say that will basically happen in this nation around half past never.

I would be very happy with a similified tax code.

Translation - "I a brainwashed by the right and am completely fine with my small to medium sized business having to pay a larger percentage of its profits in income taxes than big business, because heck, one day, my business might be big, and I won't wanna have to pay taxes then"

Of course our tax laws are very complex.

But who among us has full time lobbyists working on our behalf to make them more complex?

Exxon does.

In fact I'd venture so far as to say every fortune 500 company in America hires lobbyist to keep the tax laws highly complex...on their behalf, of course.

Can't blame them for doing that, really

When whores are available for hire to the highest bidder, some wealthy people are apt to buy the services of whores.

We can fix this... the very moment we can convince the whores to change regulations outlawing their own whorish behaviors.

I'd say that will basically happen in this nation around half past never.

I agree 100% You can't exactly blame Exxon for paying for lobbyists to pay Congressmen to get laws in its favor - all the other big companies are doing it, if a big company doesn't do it, they won't be as competitive. Heck, if I were a big company like Exxon, I'd pay to have lobbyists convince Congress to legalize dope and give every American citizen over the age of 18 one free gram of good dope a week.

Gee, I pay many taxes in other ways. Maybe I can apply for zero income taxes?

Love how the kneejerk dingbats automatically defend the companies that are srewing the American Citizen.

Great idea! Let's allow 4 out of the 5 biggest US companies to make no profits, that way they can go out of business, not provide us valuable services that we need and kill the jobs of 10s of thousands of workers!

Great idea!

But did you see some of the FOREIGN tax rates Exxon has had to pay...like 85% rate in some of those countries it said....

I HIGHLY DOUBT that exxon would go out of business having to pay a few pennies compared to other countries, in federal corporate income taxes in the US.

they did not just pay zero in income tax hook, they got billions in income tax credits ON TOP of that, which IS corporate welfare.

$40M =/= Billions FYI.

It doesn't bother you that your company paid more in income taxes than ExxonMobil? How many more people could you afford to hire, how much could your business expand, if you paid ZERO income tax?

You mean 7.7 billion in sales taxes and duties. So your company is exempt from sales taxes and duties? How did you get that?

No I mean $77 billion. Actually Exxon paid a little more in taxes.

According to the OP article

Its grand total in global taxes for the year? A whopping $78.6 billion. The company's effective income tax rate was a hefty 47%, its highest in three years.

bottom line...if you are a global corporation, and put your jobs overseas, then you will pay less or nothing of your income tax obligation in the united states, and even receive monies from the federal treasury revenues as a benefit.

but if you are a big corporation, residing only in the US, employing thousands of people here, you DO have to pay your income tax obligation and do NOT get monies from the federal revenues as a benefit!

this kind of tax policy honestly seems to PUSH corporations in to moving jobs out of the country and is REALLY MESSED UP, don't you think so too? Just plain crazy!

bottom line...if you are a global corporation, and put your jobs overseas, then you will pay less or nothing of your income tax obligation in the united states, and even receive monies from the federal treasury revenues as a benefit.

but if you are a big corporation, residing only in the US, employing thousands of people here, you DO have to pay your income tax obligation and do NOT get monies from the federal revenues as a benefit!

this kind of tax policy honestly seems to PUSH corporations in to moving jobs out of the country and is REALLY MESSED UP, don't you think so too? Just plain crazy!

But Exxon has to pay other taxes, so they shouldn't have to pay income tax.

Its grand total in global taxes for the year? A whopping $78.6 billion. The company's effective income tax rate was a hefty 47%, its highest in three years.

Global taxes. 7.7 billion in U.S. gasoline taxes and duties.

I could give a fuck what they pay overseas. That's their problem. Why should I pay them to employ people overseas? Fuck that.

I could give a fuck what they pay overseas. That's their problem. Why should I pay them to employ people overseas? Fuck that.
That's nice but from an Exxon point of view they are paying out $78 billion in taxes. I am sure they care a lot about that. That's a hell of a lot of money.

That's nice but from an Exxon point of view they are paying out $78 billion in taxes. I am sure they care a lot about that. That's a hell of a lot of money.

What GAS TAX did Exxon OIL have to pay? What is this "gas tax" that they are talking about, do you know?

gas taxes like I pay gas taxes for the gasoline that I use? And duties?

HERE is a perfect example of what SEVERAL conservatives have said regarding the working people that PAY, gas taxes, SS taxes, medicare taxes, state taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, cigarette taxes etc....JUST BECAUSE THEY PAY NO INCOME TAX.

The Recovery Act signed by Obama last year cut federal income taxes for 98 percent of working Americans

It did no such thing. It provided one time tax credits to some people, some which were earned income credits where people received money even if they didn't pay any taxes, which amounts to nothing more than a Marxist redistribution of other people's money.

SO, do you support the above statement about people who receive the earned income tax credit....that this is MARXIST welfare and that these people ''pay no taxes'' as Taz said?

have you ever bitched about others, like in the thread that says 50% of america pays no income tax... like many on the right do? And want our income tax structure to change so that everyone has to pay an income tax, or flat tax or consumption tax? Or have you advocated the quintile of citizens at the top should pay less in taxes while increasing them on the poor and middle class?

see, to me....the ones that bitched about the 50% of individuals paying no federal income tax, or bitched about the earned income credit to people who did not pay income tax, (though these people paid a kazillion in other taxes...).should be taking the same position with the exxon example on this thread.....

if they paid no federal income taxes, then they should not be receiving a federal income credit.

care

Nobody is saying that.

Exxon employs tens of thousands of people in the U.S., and pays payroll taxes for all of them. They pay millions for oil and gas leases and royalties to the Feds. Their products generate $.184 per gallon for the Feds. (Fed taxes on a gallon of gas exceeds the profit - think about it).

With a combined tax rate of 47% on it's global operations - what more do you think they should pay? The U.S. put tax treaties in place for good reasons that benefit the U.S. - what parts of our economy should we destroy in order to raise Exxon's tax rate further?

they should pay federal income tax on their profits EARNED in the US....period....and should not be given a tax break on US taxes owed for their profits made here, just because they paid taxes overseas.

It should not be our concern over their global business decisions that they made...

besides the fact, that their taxes are INCORPORATED in to the price of their product and it IS THE CONSUMER that has paid them....they still make a healthy profit WITH these high foreign taxes.....and they would still make a profit WITHOUT THE CORPORATE WELFARE we are giving them in federal benefits/credits.

that's my take still...

Forum List

Back