4 gallon minimum

E15 means shittier gas mileage, less power, and higher prices.
Don't they realize that? Ethanol puts farmers to work, but it makes us pay at the pumps alot more. Try something that will improve performance and I'll back it.

Yep but E10 reduces our oil imports by 10%
that is somewhat worthwhile.

And has grossly increased the price of food as a result. Not sure it's quite so worthwhile. Ethanol is also a heavy pollutant.

Don't they realize that? Ethanol puts farmers to work, but it makes us pay at the pumps alot more. Try something that will improve performance and I'll back it.

Fracking reduces it even more, yet the EPA is considering regulating it out of existence.

EPA’s Four-gallon Minimum Mandate

Yeah good luck enforcing this assholes...I will purposely find a gas station that has this and only put 2 gallons in just to make sure I did things against their law...

Yup.

Sounds like a stupid regulation to me too.

Ethanol generally seems like a tragic mistake.

But the corn producing states like it a lot, I suppose.

Which explains why BOB DOLE and the GOP were big fans of it.

Burning our food supply... something so fucking stupid, only uncitizen here and the dumbocrats could think its a good idea. :rofl:

The EPA has way too much power and can make any law they want without congress' approval. No one should have that much authority. The EPA chief is all about making cap and trade a reality, which is why Obama picked her.

The gas station I use has separate hoses for the different fuels and I refuse to put that ethanol crap in my vehicle. Even after ethanol destroyed some older vehicles, nothing changed and I'll bet the people who owned the damaged vehicles weren't compensated.

Daveman, the libs won't admit this was a major screw up. I think they want credit for all their "good intentions" but no responsibility when things are made worse. I don't think ethanol was ever proven to be a good thing, but the government loves subsidizing farmers.
Of course liberals won't admit they screwed up.

But their intentions were pure. That's all that really matters.

Right, USMB lefties?

Liberals are morons, they really need a hot poker by the pump and let the commie environmentalists stick it up their asses......

Not by 10%, it doesn't. There is less energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in a gallon of gasoline.

With only 2/3 the energy of gasoline, ethanol costs more per mile
The energy of ethanol relative to gasoline
A. 76,000 = BTU of energy in a gallon of ethanol
B. 116,090 = BTU of energy in a gallon of gasoline
C. .655 = 2/3 = GGE of energy in a gallon of ethanol. A / B. (GGE =energy in a gal. of gas)
D. 1.53 = Gallons of ethanol with the energy of 1 gallon of gasoline. D = B / A.
The basic story on ethanol mileage and cost
Some Ethanol proponents claim it doesn't hurt their mileage, but this goes against physics, and you will not find the ethanol lobby making such fraudulent claims--they could be sued. But just to be sure, zFacts analyzed all of EPA's ethanol mileage tests for one year and, big surprise, ethanol gave exactly 2/3 the mileage of gasoline.

--

The USDA tells us that ethanol cost 57¢ more per gallon on average over the last 25 years (and it still does). Put that together with the fact that it takes 1.53 gallons to equal a gallon of gasoline.​

So E10 will reduce oil imports by 6%.

Furthermore, ethanol takes more energy to produce that it contains.

70 Percent More Energy Required to Make Ethanol than Actually is in Ethanol: Cornell
Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion to ethanol, 131,000 Btu are needed to make 1 gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 Btu. "Put another way," Pimentel said, "about 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 Btu."​

But, but, but....ethanol is better for the environment!!!

So the greenies want us to believe.

In reality, it's terrible for the environment.

Dead zone in gulf linked to ethanol production - SFGate
The gulf dead zone is the second-largest in the world, after one in the Baltic Sea. Scientists say the biggest culprit is industrial-scale corn production. Corn growers are heavy users of both nitrogen and pesticides. Vast monocultures of corn and soybeans, both subsidized by the federal government, have displaced diversified farms and grasslands throughout the Mississippi Basin.

"The subsidies are driving farmers toward more corn," said Gene Turner, a zoologist at Louisiana State University. "More nitrate comes off corn fields than it does off of any other crop by far. And nitrogen is driving the formation of the dead zone."

The dead zone, he said, is "a symptom of the homogenization of the landscape. We just have a few crops on what used to have all kinds of different vegetation."

In 2007, Congress passed a renewable fuels standard that requires ethanol production to triple in the next 12 years. The Department of Agriculture has just rolled out a plan to meet that goal, including building ethanol refineries in every state. The Environmental Protection Agency will decide soon whether to increase the amount of ethanol in gasoline blends from 10 percent to 15 percent.

A 2008 National Research Council report warned of a "considerable" increase in damage to the gulf if ethanol production is increased.​

So, in summary:

Ethanol product wastes energy and damages the environment.

Any of you lefties still want to make the case that ethanol is a good thing?

Facts consistently ignored by greenies because they can't claim some moral high ground and feel soooo much better at the end of the day.

Let's hear it for the EPA !!!

How much farther can they reach ?

People like Chris can't get enough regulation.....they then are not required to think for themselves.

Let's hear it for the EPA !!!

How much farther can they reach ?

People like Chris can't get enough regulation.....they then are not required to think for themselves.

Thinking is just so much work, though. It's easier to just sit on your ass and let the govmint tell you what you think, and then you can verbally regurgitate what they spoon feed you.

Don't forget the grocery store.

EPA’s Four-gallon Minimum Mandate

Yeah good luck enforcing this assholes...I will purposely find a gas station that has this and only put 2 gallons in just to make sure I did things against their law...

Didnt see that story , but picked up one where Obama is challenging the court decision striking down indefinite detention of US citizens. A certain low life move, I wonder how the repubs will react that voted for this................

Forum List

Back