$4 clunkers is total consumer fraud

maybe it is hereditary? but it appears as though you certainly have some deep anger issues inside ya jsanders that a name change won't console...!!!

It's not hereditary, it's an acquired trait. My anger issues lie with ignorant retards such as yourself.

Ravi, for you to claim someone as a non partisan is about as useful as asking Bush who he thinks the best President was. No one wants his opinion on that matter, and no one wants your opinion on who is and who isn't partisan.

Care, am I a hypocrite for utilizing the program in spite of being against it? Sure. But as I said, I'm not stupid enough to pass up my chance to get a free handout. Anything the government wants to hand out that I qualify for, I'll sure as fuck take it. I'd rather I get it then some worthless fuck who will take it for granted. That's the difference between you and me. You want to coddle the poor. I want to reward the hard working.

i havent read anything on owing taxes etc...but you know there are always catch 22s...thanks js....but i will stay on the safe side with the old clunker....it gets 28 mpg...we are a team...has my usmessage board stickers on it.

i havent read anything on owing taxes etc...but you know there are always catch 22s...thanks js....but i will stay on the safe side with the old clunker....it gets 28 mpg...we are a team...has my usmessage board stickers on it.

why don't you have the big screen name and stuff?

maybe it is hereditary? but it appears as though you certainly have some deep anger issues inside ya jsanders that a name change won't console...!!!

It's not hereditary, it's an acquired trait. My anger issues lie with ignorant retards such as yourself.

Ravi, for you to claim someone as a non partisan is about as useful as asking Bush who he thinks the best President was. No one wants his opinion on that matter, and no one wants your opinion on who is and who isn't partisan.

Care, am I a hypocrite for utilizing the program in spite of being against it? Sure. But as I said, I'm not stupid enough to pass up my chance to get a free handout. Anything the government wants to hand out that I qualify for, I'll sure as fuck take it. I'd rather I get it then some worthless fuck who will take it for granted. That's the difference between you and me. You want to coddle the poor. I want to reward the hard working.
Whatever you say...you're still a twit. A big one.

This Ford Dealer was on the radio yesterday and he stated that he has sold 30 new cars so far with the cash for clunkers but he just found out that in order for the Gov. to reimburse him the person who purchased a new car under the CfC cannot owe any back taxes, no property or any kind of back taxes. If they do then it will be up to the Dealership to go after the person who purchased the car to get that 4 grand back because the Gov. won't. Nice huh.

Are you saying the government did not supply a call line for the dealers to call in order for the person to clear?

Because, I think this is how it should be Terry...someone who owes back taxes, should not be eligible to qualify for this tax credit imo.

I'd even bet, that it was probably a conservative that introduced this measure...!
The guy said he has been calling some number for 4 days straight and busy busy busy..he has yet to get through.

well, COULD be true, but this is the first person or dealer, I heard complaining about not being able to get through, so it could be he wasn't being so truthful and was exagerating...that, I don't know?

Though when a promotion goes this well, it is possible that the gvt or dealer did not man/staff the phones, the dealer sales floor, their credit dept, etc. appropriately!

Hopefully, they learned from their shortfalls so that they can improve on those things before the next bundle of dough for the clunkers gets out there!

care

Are you saying the government did not supply a call line for the dealers to call in order for the person to clear?

Because, I think this is how it should be Terry...someone who owes back taxes, should not be eligible to qualify for this tax credit imo.

I'd even bet, that it was probably a conservative that introduced this measure...!
The guy said he has been calling some number for 4 days straight and busy busy busy..he has yet to get through.

well, COULD be true, but this is the first person or dealer, I heard complaining about not being able to get through, so it could be he wasn't being so truthful and was exagerating...that, I don't know?

Though when a promotion goes this well, it is possible that the gvt or dealer did not man/staff the phones, the dealer sales floor, their credit dept, etc. appropriately!

Hopefully, they learned from their shortfalls so that they can improve on those things before the next bundle of dough for the clunkers gets out there!

care

It could also be that the Dealership was Ford, and not Chrysler or GM.

ok, in a google search, there is mention of the gvt's website being crammed and jammed but nothing on a phone center that people had to call to see if the consumer owed back taxes, so it appears that just didn't happen?

Says they got the computer problems fixed on the processing....which would be expected.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, the agency administering the program, was caught off-guard by the analysis because problems with the Web site set up to process dealers' requests for reimbursements meant that only a few thousand claims had been submitted, while dealers had a backlog of transactions that they were attempting to submit without success. As of Aug. 5, the NHTSA says 184,304 claims had been processed, totaling $775.2 million, and claims were still coming in.

The White House assured consumers and dealers that the sales made under the program would be honored all this week regardless of the Senate vote, but many dealers were reluctant to make deals under the program after all of the problems of submitting the claims online and the uncertainty of whether the program would continue.

Earnhardt Ford/Mazda in Chandler, Ariz., continued to make clunker deals this week but had consumers sign an addendum, stating that "if the program did not continue, they would either return our vehicle or we would renegotiate the deal," says John Nissen, general manager of the dealership.

However, Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood assured dealers that the Web site problems had been fixed. "We believe processing will go much smoother," he said at a press conference earlier this week. Under the programs rules, dealers are supposed to be reimbursed within 10 days of filing the paperwork, but the NADA is reporting only 1,600 reimbursements have been made so far.

Earl Stewart, general manager of Earl Stewart Toyota/Scion of North Palm Beach, Fla., says his staff had successfully submitted the paperwork for all of the 100 deals they made, but all applications were still listed as "under review" by the NHTSA. "We have about $400,000 in cash tied up," he says.&#39Cash for clunkers&#39 boosted by $2 billion

Somebody said you have to have good credit to buy a car these days. On what planet? Dealers are so desperate for sales in this down market, they're selling to anybody with a job or a bank account. Doesn't matter if it is a permanent job or whether all the money in the bank is already committed. So it is almost certain that we are creating a 'car bubble' though it won't reach anywhere near the magnitude of the housing bubble.

The frustrating thing is:

1) They've already admitted that this program will not help with 'global warming' in any measurable way. The dealers are having to DESTROY the engines of all the clunkers making them essentially valueless for salvage meaning that people who don't trade in their older cars will be buying new parts that have to be manufactured. No savings in emissions of any kind.

2) They are favoring the unions with the cash for clunkers deal while those who would like to trade in their old furnaces, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, etc. for more energy efficient appliances get nothing.

3) People like me who bought a fuel efficient car years ago and have saved energy for 14 or 15 years now are ineligible for the program because our cars are too fuel efficient. So, those who bought gas guzzlers, high energy consumption vehicles back then are rewarded while us "responsible greenies" are punished.

4) And to add insult to injury, remember those dealers who were forced to close up shop? One of them, a Chrysler dealership, here in Albuquerque was profitable and had been in business here for more than 60 years and was a piller of the community. But he closed down and sold his property. And now a new Chrysler dealership is being opened up here. Needless to say the old owner, who didn't have connections to the Obama administation, is upset.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven, and I hope somebody has the courage to be doing an in depth investigation. There are some who think it unwise to seriously challenge this administration.

payn090803_02_cmyk20090803091200.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody said you have to have good credit to buy a car these days. On what planet? Dealers are so desperate for sales in this down market, they're selling to anybody with a job or a bank account. Doesn't matter if it is a permanent job or whether all the money in the bank is already committed. So it is almost certain that we are creating a 'car bubble' though it won't reach anywhere near the magnitude of the housing bubble.

The frustrating thing is:

1) They've already admitted that this program will not help with 'global warming' in any measurable way. The dealers are having to DESTROY the engines of all the clunkers making them essentially valueless for salvage meaning that people who don't trade in their older cars will be buying new parts that have to be manufactured. No savings in emissions of any kind.

2) They are favoring the unions with the cash for clunkers deal while those who would like to trade in their old furnaces, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, etc. for more energy efficient appliances get nothing.

3) People like me who bought a fuel efficient car years ago and have saved energy for 14 or 15 years now are ineligible for the program because our cars are too fuel efficient. So, those who bought gas guzzlers, high energy consumption vehicles back then are rewarded while us "responsible greenies" are punished.

4) And to add insult to injury, remember those dealers who were forced to close up shop? One of them, a Chrysler dealership, here in Albuquerque was profitable and had been in business here for more than 60 years and was a piller of the community. But he closed down and sold his property. And now a new Chrysler dealership is being opened up here. Needless to say the old owner, who didn't have connections to the Obama administation, is upset.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven, and I hope somebody has the courage to be doing an in depth investigation. There are some who think it unwise to seriously challenge this administration.

payn090803_02_cmyk20090803091200.jpg

I miss Albuquerque. Lived there a year during the 90's. One of the most beautiful sunrise sunset cities I've ever known.
This administration has a really dark side and they don't hesitate much either. They will be forcing allot of crap on us without regard to maintenance, product life span.

Here is something that because Glen Beck was removed from the Government Web-Site. It has been removed. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWs12ccbOiE]YouTube - Glenn Beck: Cars.gov allows government to takeover your computer[/ame]

I know. Care is ignorant. Most of these sales will end up in repossession. This "promotion" is going great, but only because it's stealing from next year's sales and because dealers are selling to anyone with a clunker (guaranteed $4500 in the dealer's pocket) and a job to get credit approval. You don't need GOOD credit to get a car. My sister-in-law got a loan, her credit score was under 600.

fyi

The agency has received questions regarding the value and disposition of the
trade-in vehicle. The CARS Act specifies that while many parts of the trade-in vehicle
are permitted to be removed and sold, in the end the residual vehicle, including the
engine block, must be crushed or shredded. Therefore, the trade-in value of the vehicle is
not likely to exceed its scrap value. Purchasers should not expect to receive the same
trade-in value as they might if the vehicle were to remain on the road. The Act also
requires dealers to disclose to purchasers the scrap value of the trade-in vehicle at the
time of the trade-in and allows dealers to retain up to $50 of the scrap value of the vehicle
for their administrative costs of participation in the program.
Some

Q: What will happen to the car I trade in?

A: The car will be sent to the salvage yard. Some parts may be kept but the engine and drive-train must be destroyed. Specifically the engine will be injected with a liquid glass solution to permanently disable the engine and it will be the responsibility of the dealer to make sure this is done to the engine.

Cash for Clunkers FAQ | CARS Questions and Answers

fyi

The agency has received questions regarding the value and disposition of the
trade-in vehicle. The CARS Act specifies that while many parts of the trade-in vehicle
are permitted to be removed and sold, in the end the residual vehicle, including the
engine block, must be crushed or shredded. Therefore, the trade-in value of the vehicle is
not likely to exceed its scrap value. Purchasers should not expect to receive the same
trade-in value as they might if the vehicle were to remain on the road. The Act also
requires dealers to disclose to purchasers the scrap value of the trade-in vehicle at the
time of the trade-in and allows dealers to retain up to $50 of the scrap value of the vehicle
for their administrative costs of participation in the program.
Some
link?
you know the rules about C&P stuff ;)

Forum List

Back