4 Blacks Torture and Murder White Couple - Media Silent

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Where is the liberal media in their coverage of this double murder?

If four white guys and killed a black couple - we all know it would be 24/7 coverage and the liberal media would be screaming "hate crime"

Scant Coverage of Brutal Crime Called 'Journalistic Malpractice'
By Randy Hall
CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
May 08, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - The national news media demonstrates a double standard in covering "hate crimes," as evidenced by the lack of attention given to the murder of a white couple in Tennessee last January, a conservative columnist charged on Monday.

However, a media analyst responded that a crime is not necessarily a hate crime simply because the victims are white and those accused of perpetrating it are black.

Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, were out on a dinner date in Knoxville, Tenn. on Jan. 6, when they were carjacked, kidnapped, tortured, raped and murdered.

According to published news reports, the two were tortured at length in each other's presence, strangled and shot. Newsom's mutilated and burned remains were found along a railroad track the following day. Two days later, Christian's battered and burned body was found in a trash bin.

Five men and a woman, all African-American, have been arrested and face up to 46 charges, including carjacking, kidnapping, rape, premeditated murder, theft and robbery.

The case sparked considerable debate on Internet blogs, but mainstream media coverage has been modest.

AP wire reports of the killings were carried by Knoxville news outlets, CBS News and Fox News, but other major media outlets including CNN, the New York Times and the Washington Post apparently have yet to mention the story. This so angered Mark Alexander, executive editor and publisher of the online Patriot Post, that in a column entitled "Murder in Black and White," he said the attack was "more than a case study in sociopathic evil. It is also a case study in journalistic malpractice.

"True, there are some 17,000 murders committed in the U.S. each year, but this double murder was clearly far more barbaric, far more monstrous than most," he wrote. "Yet, this story has failed to attract the attention of the national media.

"Could it be because the two victims were white and the five defendants are black?" Alexander asked.

He pointed to the case in 1998 when "three white men in Jasper, Texas, beat James Byrd -- a black man -- then chained him to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him three miles to his death. Not surprisingly, Byrd's murder received national media attention -- as it should have."

When Democratic politicians seized on Byrd's murder to call for hate crimes laws, "then-Governor of Texas George Bush said there was little need for such legislation -- after all, two of the defendants were sentenced to death and the third received a life sentence," Alexander stated.

"Clearly, hate was a motivating factor in Jasper, but it was also a motivating factor in Knoxville, which leads us to ask: Why do white-on-black hate crimes invariably result in a media feeding frenzy, while black-on-white hate crimes receive nary a mention?" he asked.

Kelly McBride, ethics group leader at the Poynter Institute -- a school for journalists in St. Petersburg, Fla. -- told Cybercast News Service on Monday that just because a crime involves black perpetrators and white victims "doesn't mean it's a hate crime. You have to have specific evidence, such as some sort of racial epithet," which was the case in the Byrd murder.

The Knoxville double homicide "sounds like a horrible, heinous crime, but horrible, heinous crimes are not the standard for what become national stories," she said.

for entire article
http://www.cnsnews.com/Culture/Archive/200705/CUL20070508a.html

I know some will call me a bigot and a racist, but I am not the only one pointing out this gross double standard

Blogs slam murder coverage
May 19, 2007

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- In a powerful demonstration of the way the Internet has opened up the mainstream press to intensive second-guessing, bloggers are charging that news outlets have ignored the rape and murder of a young Knoxville couple because of the racial implications of the story.
The two victims were white; the five defendants are black.
The critics include mainstream conservatives, such as the National Review. They have drawn comparisons to the Duke lacrosse rape case and wondered why the killings of Channon Christian, 21, a University of Tennessee student, and her boyfriend, Christopher Newsom, 23, are not getting the same attention from what the bloggers regard sneeringly as the liberal press.
"Oh, that's right, the victims were WHITE!" several conservative blogs have observed.
Or as National Review columnist Jack Dunphy commented online: "Uh oh, we're not supposed to talk about such things, are we."
It was bloggers who undermined CBS anchorman Dan Rather's 2004 report about President Bush's National Guard service, digging up evidence that the documents may have been forgeries. The next year, CNN chief Eason Jordan resigned after bloggers criticized him for supposedly saying that some journalists killed in Iraq by the U.S. military had been targeted.
The local press in Knoxville has covered developments in the carjacking case since the bodies were found, and the Associated Press ran stories that were transmitted nationally. But the killings have received scant attention from other news outlets.
Miss Christian and Mr. Newsom were last seen Jan. 6. They were carjacked as they were leaving a friend's apartment. Mr. Newsom's shot and burned body was found the next day along the railroad tracks, and Miss Christian's corpse was discovered two days later in a trash can at a house rented by one of the defendants. Both had been sexually assaulted. Household cleaner had been poured in her mouth to remove evidence, according to court records.
Some Internet postings have suggested the killings should be treated as a hate crime. But Police Chief Sterling Owen said: "We have no evidence to support the notion that this was a race-based crime. We see this as a cold-blooded murder."
Lemaricus Davidson, 25; his brother, Letalvis Cobbins, 24; George Thomas, 24; and Mr. Cobbins' former girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman, 18, are charged with murder. A fifth defendant, Eric Boyd, 34, is being held on a federal charge of being an accessory after the fact, accused of helping Mr. Davidson.
The victims did not know the attackers and were just "at the wrong place at the wrong time," said John Gill, special assistant to District Attorney Randy Nichols.
The four murder defendants will be given separate trials, beginning next May. Prosecutors have yet to say whether they will seek the death penalty.
Glenn Reynolds, a University of Tennessee law professor who operates Instapundit, a current events blog, said he was branded an apologist after he wrote that he had seen no evidence the killings were a hate crime.
However, he said: "I think it is totally true if the races of the perpetrators and the victims were reversed, the press would make a bigger deal about it. I think some people have been hanging back for fear of inflaming things."

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070518-110155-5242r.htm

The morning DJ in my area was talking about this yesterday. I was surprised because he's pretty liberal. A few callers called in on why the story is ignored. They all didn't mention the obvious, but the DJ did --- said, "no, you dummies, it's because the attackers are black and the victims are white!"

I about dropped my coffee.

The morning DJ in my area was talking about this yesterday. I was surprised because he's pretty liberal. A few callers called in on why the story is ignored. They all didn't mention the obvious, but the DJ did --- said, "no, you dummies, it's because the attackers are black and the victims are white!"

I about dropped my coffee.

Pardon me while I choke

FNC Breaks Informal Media Boycott of Christian-Newsom Murders
Posted by Matthew Sheffield on May 18, 2007 - 15:36.
Thanks to the right blogosphere, the media's virtual embargo on the gruesome murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, the young white Tennessee couple who were gangraped and killed by a group of black criminals, has finally begun to break. Fox News reported the story yesterday.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12854

There is now information that one of the suspects is a member of a group call the Black Gangster Disciples, a racist gang. Don't have a link.

Soilent green is made of PEOPLE!

oh.. and it is a LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TOO!

Soilent green is made of PEOPLE!

oh.. and it is a LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TOO!

soylent_green07.jpg

As a liberal leaning person I take offense to the fact that people feel the need to make this issue an attack on liberals. I think it goes much deeper than "oh well they were black so the liberals won't report it." I think it is symptomatic of something that is found everywhere in our society except in people who are racists or white supremacists. There is still so much guilt about slavery that people are afraid to do anything that could be seen as even remotely racist, and on top of that it is almost accepted that blacks can't be racist too. I think that this is foolish. Granted, slavery is one of the most horrible things that any human being can do to another, but that does not exempt a group from racism just because they were once the ones that were enslaved. If there is evidence that this was a hate motivated crime, and it looks like there is, then it should be seen as a hate crime and covered by the media(liberal and conservative). I am thoroughly disappointed in the news networks for failing to cover this story.

As a liberal leaning person I take offense to the fact that people feel the need to make this issue an attack on liberals. I think it goes much deeper than "oh well they were black so the liberals won't report it." I think it is symptomatic of something that is found everywhere in our society except in people who are racists or white supremacists. There is still so much guilt about slavery that people are afraid to do anything that could be seen as even remotely racist, and on top of that it is almost accepted that blacks can't be racist too. I think that this is foolish. Granted, slavery is one of the most horrible things that any human being can do to another, but that does not exempt a group from racism just because they were once the ones that were enslaved. If there is evidence that this was a hate motivated crime, and it looks like there is, then it should be seen as a hate crime and covered by the media(liberal and conservative). I am thoroughly disappointed in the news networks for failing to cover this story.

If you work for the liberal media you must follow the rules

You can never report this kind of story - it goes against the liberal viewpoint of America. Only whites are racists - and blacks are always victims

Well I heard this story a while back and I wanted to make a comment about what I felt the root cause maybe: It is the white population has gotten afraid to call it what it is: Hate crime, I mean it wouldn't matter if it was 2 white guys who did this to these people it is hate! But we as whites have go to quite apologizing for history and move forward, just like the blacks need to stop using the excuse that whitey is holding them down. All races have there issues and it ain't just in the US but all over the world. Enuff already, we have affirmative action and all these programs that cater to these folks as if they were completely helpless. People need to be responsible for there own self and stop the blame game. And about the media they are equally to blame on these stories. And Jesse and Al Sharpton they are lame punks who do things for there well being and nothing more. In life you have to stick your neck out and do the right thing and they've forgotten about that and there original causes in the 1960's.

Well I heard this story a while back and I wanted to make a comment about what I felt the root cause maybe: It is the white population has gotten afraid to call it what it is: Hate crime, I mean it wouldn't matter if it was 2 white guys who did this to these people it is hate! But we as whites have go to quite apologizing for history and move forward, just like the blacks need to stop using the excuse that whitey is holding them down. All races have there issues and it ain't just in the US but all over the world. Enuff already, we have affirmative action and all these programs that cater to these folks as if they were completely helpless. People need to be responsible for there own self and stop the blame game. And about the media they are equally to blame on these stories. And Jesse and Al Sharpton they are lame punks who do things for there well being and nothing more. In life you have to stick your neck out and do the right thing and they've forgotten about that and there original causes in the 1960's.

Libs are not willing to call it a hate crime

In their minds, it would be racist to say blacks committed a hate crime towards whites

Forum List

Back