3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Trajan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    This was actually indicative and part of an early one of the "lets pass it and see whats in it ", 'quick fails' as AP reported back in March, almost immediately after the passage of the bill;
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gmzNv5LYXOA6UM_XmUHdOe9augtQD9ELVL3G1

Now-

3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

the bill set aside 5 billion for a fund to, err, SUBSIDIZE the retirees plans to keep them off medicare....seems to me 3M has did their own accounting and found that they are better off just letting them go....

In the end, so much for keeping your plan and your doctors etc.
    This along with other ancillary effects like blowing up the numbers of medicare patients which will drive the ratio the of doctors (who accept it) lower by intro. of the extra patients ( access issues, hello) and the coming battle over Doctors pay for seeing these medicare patients......

The 3M decision is just part and parcel of the same issue. I am sure there will be a cavalcade of others driving a cascade effect....I wonder if Sibelius will call up 3M and threaten them?

heres a link to the issues at hand..ala WSJ as well;

3M to Change Health-Plan Options for Workers - WSJ.com

the bill set aside 5 billion for a fund to, err, SUBSIDIZE the retirees plans to keep them off medicare....seems to me 3M has did their own accounting and found that they are better off just letting them go....

que announcer- shamrock facial hair, time to tell us how this is actually a benefit and going according to plan........annnnnd you're on!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Companies dumpin' healthcare costs on retirees...
    :eek:
    More Employers Shifting the Cost of Healthcare to Retirees
    April 21, 2014 — For a growing number of Americans, healthcare may be one of the largest expenses during retirement. Take for example a 65-year old couple who retired in 2013 and is relying on Medicare to foot the bill for their healthcare. They will need an estimated $220,000 to cover their health-related expenses, excluding long-term care, dental, and over-the-counter medications, according to a Fidelity Benefits Consulting report.