3D doesnt add anything to release of1997 Titanic

Do you have to wear those silly looking glasses?? ~LoL~
Actually, I have been to quite a few 3D thingies...and it hurts my eyes!

I have seen the movie Titanic years ago when it was released, and they say the 3D version makes you feel like you "are right there"........I don't think I'd care for that, I don't need to feel all that water rushing in around me.

I recall being extremely impressed by the original version of Titanic (with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck) when I saw it back in 1953 -- and I was equally impressed watching it again last night on tv. There is something very powerful and engrossing about this old black & white production that captures the enormity of the tragedy in a way the new version doesn't.

Am I partial to the old version because I'm an old version, myself, or does it have some special quality? Anyone else have an opinion?

I recall being extremely impressed by the original version of Titanic (with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck) when I saw it back in 1953 -- and I was equally impressed watching it again last night on tv. There is something very powerful and engrossing about this old black & white production that captures the enormity of the tragedy in a way the new version doesn't.

Am I partial to the old version because I'm an old version, myself, or does it have some special quality? Anyone else have an opinion?

A Night To Remember - 1958 - (British production) also in black and white - is widely regarded as the best of the Titanic films.

I thought the 1953 version was also good but a little too Hollywood.

Last edited:
CinemaScope and Cinerama back in the 50s and 60s was sort of cool - did add to the viewing experience (wide screen)

3D and surroundsound etc were unmitigated flops...............................

CinemaScope and Cinerama back in the 50s and 60s was sort of cool - did add to the viewing experience (wide screen)

3D and surroundsound etc were unmitigated flops...............................

But.... its 3-D

drawingscene_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

sure it did, it added to Camerons bank account...

frankly, I thought it was so so, no actually I thought it was mawkish and overdone, working to death ( and in contradiction to events) stupid stereotypes etc etc .. .....and when it went do I let out a cheer.....finally.

but it most likely added a sizable amount to James Cameron's bank account.

ABC ran three one-hour parts of a very well-made four-part Titanic commemorative last evening (Saturday, 4/15). The concluding fourth part is running tonight (Sunday, 4/16).

No matter how many versions of the Titanic saga I've watched, or how many times I've seen them, the enormity of that tragedy never fails to fascinate me. The arrogant incompetence of the White Star Steamship Lines' engineers and designers in failing to provide sufficient lifeboats because they believed the ship to be "unsinkable" is almost criminal. But the bottom line to the tale is the noble heroism of those British sailors and male passengers (with the exception of a few cowards) in allowing the boats to be filled with women and children only is well beyond simple admiration.

It was a hundred years ago but truly A Night To Remember. I look forward to ABC's final segment tonight (9PM).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back