38 Americanisms the British Can’t Bloody Stand

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Is it all Brits or just the snotty author?

And, who cares?

So, it’s not “proper” grammar but who the heck is the Almighty Decider of what the English language is supposed to be?

Some modern American imports Matthew can’t stand— among them “faze” (as in “it doesn’t faze me”), “hospitalize,” “elevator,” “rookies” (for “newcomers”), and “guy,” “less and less the centerpiece of the ancient British festival of 5 November [Guy Fawkes Day]—or, as it will soon be known, 11/5. Now someone of either gender.” However, sometimes, he concedes, American phrases can have “vigor and vivacity”: “A relative of mine told me recently he went to a business meeting chaired by a California woman who wanted everyone to speak frankly. It was ‘open kimono.’”

I’m not about to post the list; you can check it out yourselves
@ 38 Americanisms the British Can’t Bloody Stand

Gyles Brandreth
stfu.jpg

And, who cares?

So, it’s not “proper” grammar but who the heck is the Almighty Decider of what the English language is supposed to be?

Some modern American imports Matthew can’t stand— among them “faze” (as in “it doesn’t faze me”), “hospitalize,” “elevator,” “rookies” (for “newcomers”), and “guy,” “less and less the centerpiece of the ancient British festival of 5 November [Guy Fawkes Day]—or, as it will soon be known, 11/5. Now someone of either gender.” However, sometimes, he concedes, American phrases can have “vigor and vivacity”: “A relative of mine told me recently he went to a business meeting chaired by a California woman who wanted everyone to speak frankly. It was ‘open kimono.’”

Call me weird, but a British accent drives me up the wall like nails on a chalkboard. And It always cracks me up severely whenever I see a guy like this on the BBC News, and he talks like this...

"Oy matey! Me pudagig be froggydoo 'wit me bubble an' squeak. Rightyo pip pip an' all that rot, me blaggard."

2519.jpg

And, who cares?

Call me weird, but a British accent drives me up the wall like nails on a chalkboard. And It always cracks me up severely whenever I see a guy like this on the BBC News, and he talks like this...

"Oy matey! Me pudagig be froggydoo 'wit me bubble an' squeak. Rightyo pip pip an' all that rot, me blaggard."

2519.jpg

That man is an Australian Aboriginal.

And, who cares?

2519.jpg

Probably so, the pic was just used as an example. But every time I see some blatantly non-European speak in a perfect British accent, it really cracks me the hell up.

:laughing0301:

And, who cares?

2519.jpg

Probably so, the pic was just used as an example. But every time I see some blatantly non-European speak in a perfect British accent, it really cracks me the hell up.

There are over 160 different British accents ... none of them are perfect.

And, who cares?

2519.jpg

How do they understand each other? When I lived in Texas, I was a block mason and had Mexican laborers. Being from different Mexican states, sometimes they had trouble understanding each other.

And, who cares?

2519.jpg

How do they understand each other? When I lived in Texas, I was a block mason and had Mexican laborers. Being from different Mexican states, sometimes they had trouble understanding each other.

And, who cares?

2519.jpg

Thats nothing there are so many dialects of Chinese many can't converse yet they have only one written language, Mandarin so they can pass notes. Go figure.

2519.jpg

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week. :laugh::lmao::lol: :laughing0301:

Forum List

Back