$35,000 for a MFA degree in puppetry.

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Damn those Wall Street bankers, they forced him to go into debt and now they won't give him a job.

A few years ago, Joe Therrien, a graduate of the NYC Teaching Fellows program, was working as a full-time drama teacher at a public elementary school in New York City. Frustrated by huge class sizes, sparse resources and a disorganized bureaucracy, he set off to the University of Connecticut to get an MFA in his passion—puppetry. Three years and $35,000 in student loans later, he emerged with degree in hand, and because puppeteers aren’t exactly in high demand, he went looking for work at his old school. The intervening years had been brutal to the city’s school budgets—down about 14 percent on average since 2007. A virtual hiring freeze has been in place since 2009 in most subject areas, arts included, and spending on art supplies in elementary schools crashed by 73 percent between 2006 and 2009. So even though Joe’s old principal was excited to have him back, she just couldn’t afford to hire a new full-time teacher. Instead, he’s working at his old school as a full-time “substitute”; he writes his own curriculum, holds regular classes and does everything a normal teacher does. “But sub pay is about 50 percent of a full-time salaried position,” he says, “so I’m working for half as much as I did four years ago, before grad school, and I don’t have health insurance…. It’s the best-paying job I could find.”

The Audacity of Occupy Wall Street | The Nation

Another worthless degree.... and of course he will want the cost forgiven.

Damn those Wall Street bankers, they forced him to go into debt and now they won't give him a job.

A few years ago, Joe Therrien, a graduate of the NYC Teaching Fellows program, was working as a full-time drama teacher at a public elementary school in New York City. Frustrated by huge class sizes, sparse resources and a disorganized bureaucracy, he set off to the University of Connecticut to get an MFA in his passion—puppetry. Three years and $35,000 in student loans later, he emerged with degree in hand, and because puppeteers aren’t exactly in high demand, he went looking for work at his old school. The intervening years had been brutal to the city’s school budgets—down about 14 percent on average since 2007. A virtual hiring freeze has been in place since 2009 in most subject areas, arts included, and spending on art supplies in elementary schools crashed by 73 percent between 2006 and 2009. So even though Joe’s old principal was excited to have him back, she just couldn’t afford to hire a new full-time teacher. Instead, he’s working at his old school as a full-time “substitute”; he writes his own curriculum, holds regular classes and does everything a normal teacher does. “But sub pay is about 50 percent of a full-time salaried position,” he says, “so I’m working for half as much as I did four years ago, before grad school, and I don’t have health insurance…. It’s the best-paying job I could find.”

What a slacker. He should have more initiative, like the banksters. Maybe he should dominate his industry, commit massive fraud, and ask for bailout money ($16 trillion from the Fed to banks worldwide). And then use the profits to buy both political parties.

Tsk.

Also, it looks like he's putting his puppetry to work. Creative employment:

At one of Arts and Culture’s meetings—held adjacent to 60 Wall Street, at a quieter public-private indoor park that’s also the atrium of Deutsche Bank—it dawned on Joe: “I have to build as many giant puppets as I can to help this thing out—people love puppets!” And so Occupy Wall Street’s Puppet Guild, one of about a dozen guilds under the Arts and Culture working group, was born. In the spirit of OWS, Joe works in loose and rolling collaboration with others who share his passion for puppetry or whose projects somehow momentarily coincide with his mission. With the help of a handful of people, he built the twelve-foot Statue of Liberty puppet that had young and old alike flocking to him on October 8 in Washington Square Park. Right now, he’s working with nearly thirty artists to stage Occupy Halloween, when his newest creations, a twelve-foot Wall Street bull and a forty-foot Occupied Brooklyn Bridge inspired by Chinese paper dragons—along with a troupe of dancers playing corporate vampires—will inject a little bit of countercultural messaging into the annual parade of Snookis and True Blood wannabes strutting down Sixth Avenue.

Those of harder head or heart may tweet—giant puppets, #srsly? Yes, it’s hard to draw a straight line from something like Occupy Halloween to the overthrow of global capitalism or a financial transactions tax or student debt relief or any number of goals—some of world-historical magnitude, some straight from the playbook of reformist think tanks—that swirl around Liberty these days. But it’s creative types, either shoved into crisis by the precarious economy or just sick of making things under the corporate system, who have responded most enthusiastically to Occupy Wall Street’s call.

He's working. And you guys are mocking him for his trade.

Where's the outrage against public state universities for raising tuitions into the stratosphere? Why hasn't a state school been occupied? Where is it? Why is academia world shielded from the hostilities?

Maybe he can do stuff on the side.
Hot chicks do it all the time to help pay off those loans.

That's exactly what he's doing!

Read the article. He is volunteering and networking at OWS.

71156_167083276644772_5817149_n.jpg

What a slacker. He should have more initiative, like the banksters. Maybe he should dominate his industry, commit massive fraud, and ask for bailout money ($16 trillion from the Fed to banks worldwide). And then use the profits to buy both political parties.

Tsk.

Aside from Corzine, who committed fraud?

SEC charges Goldman Sachs with fraud. Settled. Goldman games the settlement, profits off of later trades.

Bernie Madoff (no link needed).

SEC prods banks over foreclosure fraud.

Cuomo Sues Schwab Over Auction-Rate Securities Sales

Here's Conflict of Interest: The Final Days of Merrill Lynch

Who really owns your mortgage?

Tsk.

1. Here, for example, is a typical entry on the blog "We Are the 99 Percent." A woman is holding up a handwritten note that reads: "I am a college graduate. I am also unemployed. I was lead [sic] to believe that college would insure me a job. I now have $40,000 worth of student debt."

2. ...the average college debt load is about the price of a new Toyota Prius—$28,100 for those with a degree from a four-year private school, $22,000 for those from public schools.

3. ...universities should require a core curriculum with substantive courses in composition, literature, American history, economics, math, science and foreign language.

"The fundamental problem here is not debt but a broken educational system that no longer insists on excellence," Ms. Neal says. "College tuitions have risen more than 440% over the last 25 years—and for what? The students who say that college has not prepared them for the real world are largely right."

4. Two findings jump out. First, the more costly the college, the less likely it will require a demanding core curriculum. Second, public institutions generally do better here than private ones—and historically black colleges such as Morehouse and service academies such as West Point amount to what ACTA calls "hidden gems."

5. As for the "practical" majors, New York University's Richard Arum and the University of Virginia's Josipa Roksa tell us they might not be as useful as once thought. In a recent work called "Academically Adrift," these authors tracked the progress of more than 2,300 undergraduates at two dozen U.S. universities. They found that more than a third of seniors leave campus having shown no improvement in critical thinking, analytical reasoning, or written communications over four years. Worse, the majors and programs often thought most practical—education, business and communications—prove to be the least productive.
McGurn: What's Your Kid Getting From College? - WSJ.com

At one of Arts and Culture’s meetings—held adjacent to 60 Wall Street, at a quieter public-private indoor park that’s also the atrium of Deutsche Bank—it dawned on Joe: “I have to build as many giant puppets as I can to help this thing out—people love puppets!” And so Occupy Wall Street’s Puppet Guild, one of about a dozen guilds under the Arts and Culture working group, was born. In the spirit of OWS, Joe works in loose and rolling collaboration with others who share his passion for puppetry or whose projects somehow momentarily coincide with his mission. With the help of a handful of people, he built the twelve-foot Statue of Liberty puppet that had young and old alike flocking to him on October 8 in Washington Square Park. Right now, he’s working with nearly thirty artists to stage Occupy Halloween, when his newest creations, a twelve-foot Wall Street bull and a forty-foot Occupied Brooklyn Bridge inspired by Chinese paper dragons—along with a troupe of dancers playing corporate vampires—will inject a little bit of countercultural messaging into the annual parade of Snookis and True Blood wannabes strutting down Sixth Avenue.

Those of harder head or heart may tweet—giant puppets, #srsly? Yes, it’s hard to draw a straight line from something like Occupy Halloween to the overthrow of global capitalism or a financial transactions tax or student debt relief or any number of goals—some of world-historical magnitude, some straight from the playbook of reformist think tanks—that swirl around Liberty these days. But it’s creative types, either shoved into crisis by the precarious economy or just sick of making things under the corporate system, who have responded most enthusiastically to Occupy Wall Street’s call.
Yes, it's unusual for artists to find work these days, but according to the article, he had to accept half pay, plus he is caught up in creative endeavors.

It's ironic that one educated in arts that are benefitted the most by big, private industrialists heavily invested in the markets, would want to tear all of them down in so many ways.

If they eliminate their benefactors' very ability to purchase artwork, purchase tickets to theater engagements, and to build museums and theaters for the fine art and performing arts industries, sadly, they will see further cuts to future work to the point of needing retraining to doing a trade society demands--such as accounting, manufacturing, and bussing tables in a restaurant for other people.

Left-wing scum always want others to fix their problems they created for themselves.

He is not working unless you consider begging on the street work. I am mocking him because he spent $35,000 he did not have on a degree that is completely useless. I am also mocking the system that let him get away with it, and the idiots like you that think he has the right to expect the government to pick up his tab.

Tsk.

Or maybe he, like millions of OWS'ers, should not have been fucking morons and gone to college for worthless degrees, taken out tens of thousands in loans, then bitch when they cant find a 100K a year job playing with fucking puppets.

But like Pelosi said, under Obamacare you can go be a poet, an artist, a musician, practice your trade and NOT WORRY about stuff like pay and insurance!!! Go be that puppeteer like you dreamed!!!

Wonder why passing Obamacare didn't bring that utopia into being?

Forum List

Back