$319 BILLION in jobless benefits!

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
Unemployment insurance sent $319 billion to the jobless - Nov. 17, 2010

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were
living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet

Um idiot. We pay for unemployment in every paycheck throughout our lives. That's what it's for.

Why don't you complain about the subsidies for the oil companies while they make record profits? Seriously. Pick something that makes sense and doesn't punish the working people who lost their jobs in a bad economy. Those people PAID into the unemployment insurance fund and now they are using THEIR OWN MONEY while they try to find another job.

I swear, FOX has really fucked your minds up right wingers. Your thinking is so twisted.

It's there for you too dingdong, if you need it.

Sheesh.

Unemployment insurance sent $319 billion to the jobless - Nov. 17, 2010

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were
living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet

Man!! Imagine where a Trillion dollars in Corporate aid in the ME would put you in before time and out a Worm Hole somewhere. By the way, were you trying to win points with the Christians on that Jesus remark?? I have Chinese coins older than Jesus, or you could use RA and his pyramid temple as a bench mark. You don't need to start stapling Jesus on a cross around here. I get nervous..........:eusa_pray:

Um idiot. We pay for unemployment in every paycheck throughout our lives. That's what it's for.

Why don't you complain about the subsidies for the oil companies while they make record profits? Seriously. Pick something that makes sense and doesn't punish the working people who lost their jobs in a bad economy. Those people PAID into the unemployment insurance fund and now they are using THEIR OWN MONEY while they try to find another job.

I swear, FOX has really fucked your minds up right wingers. Your thinking is so twisted.

I worked for almost 30 years at the same company. I made good money and paid into unemployment every week. I NEVER collected unemployment in my entire career. Where is the money going to go?? I want it to go where it was intended. To the people that need it so desperately.

Hey idiot, EMPLOYERS pay into the fund and much of the $319 billion has been BORROWED from the Federal government because the funds have run out in many States. Understand numbnuts?

You might have some valid points if there was an independent fund. Problem is there never was. The so called insurance goes into the government coffers and they spend it as they would every other dollar they tax.

In other words, the money gets wasted.

If this was a valid insurance fund, we would be unable to change the timelines for the benefits. Reality is you aren't paying for insurance. You're paying a tax.

And because of this tax, people have been lied to. They've been told there will always be money around for them. That they don't have to worry about the tough times because the government is here.

Well, unfortunately, reality can be harsh sometimes. If you don't prepare for times of trial, no one will.

I think it's time we stop telling each other lies and go back to the truth. And the truth is, we have to work. There is no "safety net". We need to do everything in our power to be self sufficient. We need to stop turning to the government and giving them power over our lives. Because if we don't stop, our lives are going to be pretty damn miserable.

I worked for almost 30 years at the same company. I made good money and paid into unemployment every week. I NEVER collected unemployment in my entire career. Where is the money going to go?? I want it to go where it was intended. To the people that need it so desperately.

The money was gone the second it was taxed. It was being spent on some government project the either short sighted and the evil politicians decided would help them get reelected knowing that when the money was actually needed for what they said it was for, they would be long gone.

And BTW after two years, people definitely don't need it. Because you have to work at being unemployed for that amount of time. If you are going to insist on this government program let's atleast give it to the people who arent trying to milk the system.

But giving people something for nothing is never going to benefit them. Quite the opposite. They will be destroyed.

The money was gone the second it was taxed. It was being spent on some government project the either short sighted and the evil politicians decided would help them get reelected knowing that when the money was actually needed for what they said it was for, they would be long gone.

And BTW after two years, people definitely don't need it. Because you have to work at being unemployed for that amount of time. If you are going to insist on this government program let's atleast give it to the people who arent trying to milk the system.

But giving people something for nothing is never going to benefit them. Quite the opposite. They will be destroyed.

Oddly enough, I agree. It isn't and was never meant to be a main source of income nor to last forever.

My heart goes out to the families, the parents must be accountable though. There's no way the money is being used to keep people off the streets. It just isn't enough to pay rent/mortgage, buy food, pay utilities, etc.. Not possible.

I pray families can work together and do the absolute best they can this holiday season and the congress can work together to get jobs back somehow.

I think the purpose is to help people that are temporarily not working. And I just don't see what's wrong with that. Republicans always twist around what we say to make it sound as though it's a permanent thing we are seeking.

Collecting unemloyment is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. And it's so stingy!! Oh yeah, people don't want to work so that they can collect $300 a week and live the good life. :rolleyes:

I think the purpose is to help people that are temporarily not working. And I just don't see what's wrong with that. Republicans always twist around what we say to make it sound as though it's a permanent thing we are seeking.

Collecting unemloyment is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. And it's so stingy!! Oh yeah, people don't want to work so that they can collect $300 a week and live the good life. :rolleyes:

I was laid off once and when the checks ran out, I started cleaning apartments for a big complex. (35 bucks per apt.) Then they had construction cleans for $100 per. Those unemployment checks aren't that helpful. Better to be in control of what you earn even if it isn't much.

When you aren't working, you tend to stay inside. Networking goes away and also opportunities that aren't so obvious unless you get yourself out there.

You might have some valid points if there was an independent fund. Problem is there never was. The so called insurance goes into the government coffers and they spend it as they would every other dollar they tax.

In other words, the money gets wasted.

If this was a valid insurance fund, we would be unable to change the timelines for the benefits. Reality is you aren't paying for insurance. You're paying a tax.

And because of this tax, people have been lied to. They've been told there will always be money around for them. That they don't have to worry about the tough times because the government is here.

Well, unfortunately, reality can be harsh sometimes. If you don't prepare for times of trial, no one will.

I think it's time we stop telling each other lies and go back to the truth. And the truth is, we have to work. There is no "safety net". We need to do everything in our power to be self sufficient. We need to stop turning to the government and giving them power over our lives. Because if we don't stop, our lives are going to be pretty damn miserable.

WHY don't you educate yourself instead of emoting and spewing your contempt for American workers? UN-employment has a very important provision...EMPLOYMENT. You are not eligible unless A) You were employed for a set period of time B) You lost that job through no action of your own.

The lies are your ignorant diatribe. There IS a 'safety net'

The original Social Security Act (1935) and the current version of the Act, as amended encompass several social welfare and social insurance programs. The larger and better known programs are:

* Federal Old-Age (Retirement), Survivors, and Disability Insurance
* Unemployment benefits
* Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
* Health Insurance for Aged and Disabled (Medicare)
* Grants to States for Medical Assistance Programs (Medicaid)
* State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
* Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Unemployment Compensation

The Social Security Act of 1935 (Public Law 74-271) created the Federal-State Unemployment Compensation (UC) Program. The program has two main objectives: (1) to provide temporary and partial wage replacement to involuntarily unemployed workers who were recently employed; and (2) to help stabilize the economy during recessions. The U.S. Department of Labor oversees the system, but each State administers its own program. Because Federal law defines the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands as States for the purposes of UC, there are 53 State programs.

The Federal Unemployment Tax Act of 1939 (Public Law 76- 379) and titles III, IX, and XII of the Social Security Act form the framework of the system. The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) imposes a 6.2 percent gross tax rate on the first $7,000 paid annually by covered employers to each employee. Employers in States with programs approved by the Federal Government and with no delinquent Federal loans may credit 5.4 percentage points against the 6.2 percent tax rate, making the minimum net Federal unemployment tax rate 0.8 percent. Since all States have approved programs, 0.8 percent is the effective Federal tax rate. This Federal revenue finances administration of the system, half of the Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB) Program, and a Federal account for State loans. The individual States finance their own programs, as well as their half of the Federal-State Extended Benefits Program.

Social Security Act Title III - TITLE III—GRANTS TO STATES FOR UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION ADMINISTRATION

I was laid off once and when the checks ran out, I started cleaning apartments for a big complex. (35 bucks per apt.) Then they had construction cleans for $100 per. Those unemployment checks aren't that helpful. Better to be in control of what you earn even if it isn't much.

When you aren't working, you tend to stay inside. Networking goes away and also opportunities that aren't so obvious unless you get yourself out there.

Yea .... too many people ABUSE it though

I don't understand. What's really going down with some of you people?

From my perspective the New Right is guided by Avarice, Bigotry and Censorship. It is a movement entirely focused on 'self' and a contradiction of the Judeo-Christian Values which they claim as there own.

define temporary? 99 months and counting is temporary?

Want to know what a TRILLION dollars (roughly what we've spent in our central Asia misadvventures to date) means?

It means $10,000 to every family in the USA.

Or another way of thinking of it is roughtly $3,333.33 to every man woman and child in the USA.

What a shame we don't have that kind of money to stimulate this economy, eh?

Forum List

Back