31 people shot over weekend, at least 6 killed

The press is always harping on the crime rate in the US as well so I really think his point is quite invalid.

They do not harp on the crime rate here. How many stories have you read or seen about the violence on the Texas-Mexico border??? Not Much. But it's about 6 hours from my home, and we here about it all the time. Yet, you rarely see it on national news stations.

You talk to a U.S. soldier, and he/she will tell you that Iraq is not as bad as the media makes it sound. You talk to a border patrol agent, and he/she will tell you that the border is WAY worse than anyone could imagine. The media operates on ratings...Iraq is the big rating bug for right now, until they find something else to harp on.

I'm willing to bet anyone's chances of dying in Iraq from violence is much, much greater than in the US but feel free to prove me wrong.

I'm willing to bet anyone's chances of dying in Iraq from violence is much, much greater than in the US but feel free to prove me wrong.

Wrong.....any AMERICAN/WESTERNER'S chance of dying in Iraq is greater...but not overall crime. I'd bet more Americans are murdered per year than soldiers in Iraq per year....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
U.S. Murder rate 2005---17,034
Violent Crimes 2005--1,417,745

on the wikipedia site....look at the states and how they rank. Washington D.C. is number 1. So much for their gun ban working.

Wrong.....any AMERICAN/WESTERNER'S chance of dying in Iraq is greater...but not overall crime. I'd bet more Americans are murdered per year than soldiers in Iraq per year....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
U.S. Murder rate 2005---17,034
Violent Crimes 2005--1,417,745

Come on Brian, you can do better than that. Compare violent crime...not just soldiers getting killed. If that's your standard, how many US soldiers have been killed in Chicago recently?

This just proves what I've said all along.

People don't object to the fact that Americans are dying in Iraq, because they don't care about Americans, as evinced by the attitude towards our own crime rate.

They care about the fact that terrorists are dying in Iraq. The people who object to the war don't care about Americans, period, let alone soldiers. They think it's right and good when Americans die. In Iraq, in Chicago, it doesn't matter.

People don't object to the fact that Americans are dying in Iraq, because they don't care about Americans, as evinced by the attitude towards our own crime rate.

They care about the fact that terrorists are dying in Iraq. The people who object to the war don't care about Americans, period, let alone soldiers. They think it's right and good when Americans die. In Iraq, in Chicago, it doesn't matter.

You hang around with some strange people. Most people I know would rather spend the money in the USA.

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything I was addressing. Besides which, it's a cop out.

Since you liberal twats only use the violence level in Iraq as a reason for leaving, I figured to show you that Iraq is not the most violent place in the world. Once again, you have shown that attempting to speak rationally and logically to your ilk is a monumental waste of time and I should simply stick with the name calling because that's more fun.

So we should only leave a place if its the most violent place in the world?

Err alright then.

By the way...the difference that you all don't seem to get is that Americans have a choice about Iraq. We are either there, or not. Baltimore, not so much, we are pretty much stuck with it. Baltimore is Americans killing Americans. Iraq is Iraqis killing Americans. One we don't have a choice about, one we do.

Well Duh. There are more Americans murdered in Wyoming than in Darfur every year. Why? There are 100x the number of Americans in Wyoming than Darfur (prolly more, but the point should be clear without me having to do research). Same goes for Iraq.

Moron.

So we should only leave a place if its the most violent place in the world?

Err alright then.

By the way...the difference that you all don't seem to get is that Americans have a choice about Iraq. We are either there, or not. Baltimore, not so much, we are pretty much stuck with it. Baltimore is Americans killing Americans. Iraq is Iraqis killing Americans. One we don't have a choice about, one we do.

Well Duh. There are more Americans murdered in Wyoming than in Darfur every year. Why? There are 100x the number of Americans in Wyoming than Darfur (prolly more, but the point should be clear without me having to do research). Same goes for Iraq.

So people dont have a choice about moving out of a bad city? People dont have a choice about changing the murder rate in America?

And you just proved SF's point. The whole crux of libs argument is that libs want us out of Iraq BASED on how Americans are getting killed everyday. Yet you have no sympathy nor do you work as hard to clean up the mess we have right here in our own back yard.

Well, according to Ravir they want Americans out because those Americans should be spending money here.

Nobody cares if Americans die, you see, because they deserve to die. But if they're spending money, bring them the hell home!

So people dont have a choice about moving out of a bad city? People dont have a choice about changing the murder rate in America?

And you just proved SF's point. The whole crux of libs argument is that libs want us out of Iraq BASED on how Americans are getting killed everyday. Yet you have no sympathy nor do you work as hard to clean up the mess we have right here in our own back yard.

I get the feeling you think it is impossible to hold two ideas in one's head at the same time. A lot of people, not just liberals, feel the lives and money we've wasted in Iraq weren't needed. A lot of people, not just liberals, also feel that the crime rate in cities is something that bears fixing.

Nice try, con.

I get the feeling you think it is impossible to hold two ideas in one's head at the same time. A lot of people, not just liberals, feel the lives and money we've wasted in Iraq weren't needed. A lot of people, not just liberals, also feel that the crime rate in cities is something that bears fixing.

Nice try, con.

If that were true then people would be up in arms over the atrocities we have right here in America. But you dont see that do you....We dont have marches in the street for Americans. Just marches and protests for Iraq.

So people dont have a choice about moving out of a bad city?

We are talking about this on a general level, not an individual level. If everyone moved out of the bad cities, well then the bad cities would just move somewhere else.

People dont have a choice about changing the murder rate in America?

Because liberals never have any arguments to reduce crime, right? (cough *gun control*).

And you just proved SF's point. The whole crux of libs argument is that libs want us out of Iraq BASED on how Americans are getting killed everyday.

Umm, no. That is one point, but surely not the only argument for leaving Iraq.

Yet you have no sympathy nor do you work as hard to clean up the mess we have right here in our own back yard.

Really? Liberals have no sympathy for domestic issues?

Wait, isn't it liberals who think that we should care for each other, and the government should be putting in place social safety nets, ways to help people, UHC, etc, etc, etc?

Isn't it liberals who passed for seatbelt laws, helmet laws, etc, which conservatives decry as "limiting freedom"?

Isn't it liberals who want to limit cigs and where they can be smoked to protect peoples health?

So, care to explain to me where you got the asinine idea that Liberals have no sympathy for domestic deaths?

That's because overall the murder rate doesn't affect Americans percentage wise. And if you think it doesn't affect them at all you'll probably be surprised when the Dems are in total power next year.

Forum List

Back