30yrs Of Helping Us Out/18 Days For Us to Sell Him Out...

I see no reason to trust the U.S. Government ever again. That guy really did stick his neck out for us for a long 30yrs. And we repay him with just 18 Days? Aggressive Foreign Interventionism just doesn't work. Clearly we'll throw anyone under the bus if we think it's convenient. We're not the good guys. We lose either way. Time to bring all our cash and soldiers home from the entire Middle East. Don't hold your breath waiting for that though. :(
How Hosni Mubarak Got So Rich
February 11, 2011, 5:28 pm EST

There are no Mubaraks on the Forbes list of the world's richest people, but there sure ought to be.

The mounting pressure from 18 days of historic protests finally drove Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak from office, after three decades as his nation's iron-fisted ruler. But over that time, Mubarak amassed a fortune that should finance a pretty comfortable retirement. The British Guardian newspaper cites Middle Eastern sources placing the wealth of Mubarak and his family at somewhere between $40 billion and $70 billion. That's a pretty good pension for government work. The world's richest man--Mexican business magnate Carlos Slim--is worth about $54 billion, by comparison. Bill Gates is close behind, with a net worth of about $53 billion .....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/How-Hosni-Mubarak-Got-Filthy-usnews-3723955512.html?x=0
- That guy really did stick his neck out for us for a long 30yrs

- Clearly we'll throw anyone under the bus if we think it's convenient.

Given that Hosni Murbarak may emerge as the richest man in the world, perhaps "LibocalypseNow" may want to reconsider his assessment.

Let's keep in mind that Egypt is the 2nd largest recipient of US foreign aid - much of the money in Murbarak's "retirement fund" comes at the expense of the beleagured American taxpayer who doesn't have enough to pay for his/her own retirement!

Last edited:
I see no reason to trust the U.S. Government ever again. That guy really did stick his neck out for us for a long 30yrs. And we repay him with just 18 Days? Aggressive Foreign Interventionism just doesn't work. Clearly we'll throw anyone under the bus if we think it's convenient. We're not the good guys. We lose either way. Time to bring all our cash and soldiers home from the entire Middle East. Don't hold your breath waiting for that though. :(
How Hosni Mubarak Got So Rich
February 11, 2011, 5:28 pm EST

There are no Mubaraks on the Forbes list of the world's richest people, but there sure ought to be.

The mounting pressure from 18 days of historic protests finally drove Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak from office, after three decades as his nation's iron-fisted ruler. But over that time, Mubarak amassed a fortune that should finance a pretty comfortable retirement. The British Guardian newspaper cites Middle Eastern sources placing the wealth of Mubarak and his family at somewhere between $40 billion and $70 billion. That's a pretty good pension for government work. The world's richest man--Mexican business magnate Carlos Slim--is worth about $54 billion, by comparison. Bill Gates is close behind, with a net worth of about $53 billion .....

How Hosni Mubarak Got So Rich - Yahoo! Finance
- That guy really did stick his neck out for us for a long 30yrs

- Clearly we'll throw anyone under the bus if we think it's convenient.

Given that Hosni Murbarak may emerge as the richest man in the world, perhaps "LibocalypseNow" may want to reconsider his assessment.

Let's keep in mind that Egypt is the 2nd largest recipient of US foreign aid - much of the money in Murbarak's "retirement fund" comes at the expense of the beleagured American taxpayer who doesn't have enough to pay for his/her own retirement!

Dude. Stop with the bold. Please.

I'm not defending Mubarak. I'm just pointing out our own Government's dishonesty,disloyalty,and hypocrisy. They were very quick to throw the guy under the bus. Like it or not,the guy did help us out over there for 30yrs. He secured stability in an area that could explode any minute. He was very loyal & honorable in living up to his peace obligations with Israel. We just don't know if the future Egyptian Government will do the same. So now we move on and begin to pay off the new Egyptian Government. And if the Military controls everything there,will they really be free & Democratic? Oh what a tangled web we continue to weave. We shouldn't be paying off Foreign Governments anymore. Lets spend the cash right here at home. Egypt is for Egyptians. Lets stop meddling.

Last edited:
You do realize he was a brutal Dictator responsible for very harsh treatment of his people right?

How he treated his people is inconsequential, according to LibNow.... the only people who matter are Americans.

Whether this revolution will be the start of a new democracy or an opportunity for a power grab by extremists remains to be seen. The Iranians lived to regret theirs.
I heard earlier that the Iranians have shut off their web tubes, and are generally freaking out.

Not just Iran freaking out. Pretty much every ME country is.

I'm not defending Mubarak. I'm just pointing out our own Government's dishonesty,disloyalty,and hypocrisy. They were very quick to throw the guy under the bus. Like it or not,the guy did help us out over there for 30yrs. He secured stability in an area that could explode any minute. He was very loyal & honorable in living up to his peace obligations with Israel. We just don't know if the future Egyptian Government will do the same. So now we move on and begin to pay off the new Egyptian Government. And if the Military controls everything there,will they really be free & Democratic? Oh what a tangled web we continue to weave. We shouldn't be paying off Foreign Governments anymore. Lets spend the cash right here at home. Egypt is for Egyptians. Lets stop meddling.

Over your neocon flashback now?

I know it is hard for ex neocons to not support rich people.

Firstly, Mubarak may have behaved well regarding Israel... but he did so for money. Cold, hard cash speaks more than 'loyalty' and 'honor' to these people. So let's not pretend Mubarak was a good guy. He was not. We bought and paid for his loyalty. And, the Egyptian people suffered for it. That was not the right thing to do.

Now, we need to see what the Egyptian military do. Their top brass were loyal to Mubarak, but their junior officers and grunts were loyal to the people. That's why the military didn't defend Mubarak during the protests.

It seems to me that many people don't understand what the perils of this situation really is. Hopefully, the Egyptians have learned the lessons of Iran and will ensure that their 'democracy' is a real democracy, not getting out of the frying pan and into the fire.

america has no friend in the whole world but isreal. america supports dictators as long as they are in power but once they are kicked out of thier country america turns against them.

the problem is the rest of the arab leaders still trust the double-faced america.

america has no friend in the whole world but isreal. america supports dictators as long as they are in power but once they are kicked out of thier country america turns against them.

the problem is the rest of the arab leaders still trust the double-faced america.

Except Britain.... and with friends like the Brits, we really don't need anyone else.

We bought a degree of stability to part of the Middle East for 30 years, the price has gone up,,, the instability that inflation brings is increased poverty and more empty belly's,,, all the ingredients for revolution.

As the euphoria begins to fade,it's becoming more evident that this was a Military Coup paid for and supported by our U.S. Government. Very high ranking Egyptian Generals met with this White House before and during this crisis. So our Interventionist vicious circle just continues to go round & round. We're by no means done meddling in Egypt.

As usual,it will take the Dummies of the World awhile to wake up and see what really happened in Egypt. Our U.S. Government just bought a Military Coup in Egypt. Will it be a wise investment? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You do realize he was a brutal Dictator responsible for very harsh treatment of his people right?

Name one Arab country there isn't a "brutal" dictator! Ruling with a strong hand in the Arab world is needed in order to keep the Islamofacist Nutjobs from taking over the country! Watch the large Christian community in Egypt. They will be immigrating in droves to America. In will be under 1% by 2015 foresure!

They are more likely to head to England. Many Egyptians have strong family connections to England.

I thought England was pretty much closing their doors to immigrants?

There simply wasn't anything America could do to prevent Mubaraks ouster so we made sure it happened as peacefully and cheaply as possibly. We're just waiting to see who we have to negotiate with as the new government forms. Our influence in the region is fading.

Forum List

Back