30yrs Of Helping Us Out/18 Days For Us to Sell Him Out...

I know everyone has their own take on this Egyptian Revolt but i think it's important to point out just how much our own U.S. Government sold Mubarak out. It sure didn't take our Government very long to throw him under the bus huh? The man spent 30yrs helping us out yet it took our Government just 18 Days to completely sell the man out. What does that say about own Country and our Foreign Policy? Something to ponder i guess. :eusa_think:

You do realize he was a brutal Dictator responsible for very harsh treatment of his people right?

Name one Arab country there isn't a "brutal" dictator! Ruling with a strong hand in the Arab world is needed in order to keep the Islamofacist Nutjobs from taking over the country! Watch the large Christian community in Egypt. They will be immigrating in droves to America. In will be under 1% by 2015 foresure!

You could be right. Christains are now regularly attacked in Iraq, which didn't happen in he days of good ole' Saddam.

But you can never tell,,,,

The Muslims organized under the slogan “We either live together, or we die together,” inspired by Mohamed El-Sawy, an Egyptian artist:
Egypt’s majority Muslim population stuck to its word Thursday night. What had been a promise of solidarity to the weary Coptic community, was honoured, when thousands of Muslims showed up at Coptic Christmas eve mass services in churches around the country and at candle light vigils held outside. From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife.
“We either live together, or we die together,” was the sloganeering genius of Mohamed El-Sawy, a Muslim arts tycoon whose cultural centre distributed flyers at churches in Cairo Thursday night, and who has been credited with first floating the “human shield” idea. Among those shields were movie stars Adel Imam and Yousra, popular preacher Amr Khaled, the two sons of President Hosni Mubarak, and thousands of citizens who have said they consider the attack one on Egypt as a whole. “This is not about us and them,” said Dalia Mustafa, a student who attended mass at Virgin Mary Church on Maraashly. “We are one. This was an attack on Egypt as a whole, and I am standing with the Copts because the only way things will change in this country is if we come together.”

Egypt's Muslims attend Coptic Christmas mass, serving as "human shields" - Attack on Egypt Copts - Egypt - Ahram Online

I guess one can hope!

Last edited:
I know everyone has their own take on this Egyptian Revolt but i think it's important to point out just how much our own U.S. Government sold Mubarak out. It sure didn't take our Government very long to throw him under the bus huh? The man spent 30yrs helping us out yet it took our Government just 18 Days to completely sell the man out. What does that say about own Country and our Foreign Policy? Something to ponder i guess. :eusa_think:

And just what did the USA do to throw him under the bus?
Not send troops?

The following article shows prominent conservatives really don't agree with the premise of this thread.

Did Obama Help Oust Mubarak?
<snip>

"If I were the president, I would not want to take credit" for Mubarak's departure, said Boston University international relations professor Arthur Hulnick, a former Air Force and CIA intelligence officer.

Indeed, at his last news conference as White House spokesman, Robert Gibbs underscored that the challenges facing Egypt are "not going to be solved here. We will continue to play a constructive role in helping this process along but this started with the Egyptian people and it will end with the Egyptian people."

Hulnick said it wasn't just the White House that was left irate and flummoxed by Mubarak's surprise speech Thursday in which he defied all expectations that he would step down. Egypt's military was not willing to deal with the fallout in the streets sparked by Mubarak's stubborn refusal to leave.

"Somebody said to him 'This is a mistake. You're out.' I suspect it was one of the generals," Hulnick said.

Yes, administration officials and envoys worked the phones to gently push Mubarak out. And Defense Secretary Robert Gates did tell Egypt's defense minister, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, that the United States would not lift a finger to keep Mubarak in power, Hulnick said.

"Whether we were the major influence, though, I'm sure not," Hulnick said. "Mubarak understood that no one was going to stand by him and he had no choice" but to leave.

"Ultimately, this was about Egypt and not the United States," said Michael Rubin, a Middle East expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. "Had Obama sided with the protesters initially, rather than tried to straddle the fence, the United States would have far greater leverage now."

<snip>

The libertarian Cato Institute congratulated Obama for staying out of "a purely internal matter" and not caving to calls by some for a "heavy-handed U.S. role in this whole affair."

Mubarak Resigns: Did Obama Help Oust Egyptian President?

So here we have the Cato Institute and American Enterprise Institute basically disagree that Obama's influence had much to do with this.
This entire event was the wish of the people for democracy, something the USA has pushed worldwide for decades.

Yep my thoughts too, kinda proves that the opening poster is not a libertarian but more neocon?

Not send troops?

I think the ole' "throw him under the bus" came from some talking point. I've seen it from several different posters on three different political boards.

You do realize he was a brutal Dictator responsible for very harsh treatment of his people right?

Name one Arab country there isn't a "brutal" dictator! Ruling with a strong hand in the Arab world is needed in order to keep the Islamofacist Nutjobs from taking over the country! Watch the large Christian community in Egypt. They will be immigrating in droves to America. In will be under 1% by 2015 foresure!

They are more likely to head to England. Many Egyptians have strong family connections to England.

Not send troops?

Indeed, we should have sent troops to defend the dictator that even his own army wasn't willing to defend.

Defend the dictator at any cost! That's the new mantra from the same crew that was busy preaching 'spreading democracy' less than a decade ago.

Not send troops?

Indeed, we should have sent troops to defend the dictator that even his own army wasn't willing to defend.

Defend the dictator at any cost! That's the new mantra from the same crew that was busy preaching 'spreading democracy' less than a decade ago.

they would still be saying that if bush were still president and saying nothing was the correct thing to do.
Simple partisan parroting. And I do mean simple.

Not send troops?

well for one thing we did exactly the opposite we did ala Iran and the green revolution ( before he got half heatedly around to it)....if I were a Saudi, or Saleh ( president) in Yemen, I'd be rubbing my chin wondering wtf Obama is thinking.

There is no way Saleh will let us use predators in Yemen now, we over fly the country and have been asking for the right to engage, so far no, now? not a chance. Oman/ same, anyone even remotely approaching Mubaraks position will now rethink any overt cooperation with us, not because OF Egypt but because of our responses.

Egypt is Obama's Milli Vanilli Moment. He can't sing over all the work Bush did and this is what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
[I'd be rubbing my chin wondering wtf Obama is thinking.

There are many in the ME rubbing their chins right now.

It's what comes after the astonishment that I personally wonder about.

Mubarak ruled in the historical Egyptian tradition and as Egypt will most likely be ruled when all the pontification has subsided.
The only organizion in place to rule is the military, a military junta's products will be presented to Egyptians to vote on, the military will oversee elections and count the votes,,,, Mubarak's song second verse.
Military or theologians are the choices,,,, as has been said "freedom is when you have nothing left to lose", no Egyptian has a clue who will be their next leader,,, unless he is a general in the military.
Mubarak's last words to Obama "et tu Barack"

Last edited:
Hosni Mubarak has been a good friend to the United States. He has not been a good friend to the people of Egypt.

How he treated his people is inconsequential, according to LibNow.... the only people who matter are Americans.

Whether this revolution will be the start of a new democracy or an opportunity for a power grab by extremists remains to be seen. The Iranians lived to regret theirs.
I heard earlier that the Iranians have shut off their web tubes, and are generally freaking out.

<snip>

"Ultimately, this was about Egypt and not the United States," said Michael Rubin, a Middle East expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. "Had Obama sided with the protesters initially, rather than tried to straddle the fence, the United States would have far greater leverage now."

<snip>

I don't agree. Had Obama sided with the protesters initially, it would have been seen and portrayed as American meddling. And rightly so.

You don't give Mubarak a boogy man to blame when he's out there, alone, sinking fast.

I just heard that cats and dogs are interbreeding all over the ME!

What will we do?

I better turn on the tube so I know what to do.

I see no reason to trust the U.S. Government ever again. That guy really did stick his neck out for us for a long 30yrs. And we repay him with just 18 Days? Aggressive Foreign Interventionism just doesn't work. Clearly we'll throw anyone under the bus if we think it's convenient. We're not the good guys. We lose either way. Time to bring all our cash and soldiers home from the entire Middle East. Don't hold your breath waiting for that though. :(

He didn't "stick his neck out for us" - he stole billions while we've supported him for 30 years.

And he has not been good for his people. He is a dictator who has done and authorized a lot of bad stuff. He's no Idi Amin, but he's not much different from Saddam.

As opposed to other rulers, Mubarak's strength has always been to be in the shadows (King Abdullah), out of the limelight (Quaddafi), no ego that needs stroking (Kim Jong Il), no crazy (Ahmadinejad), no belligerence (Saddam). So he has cruised under the radar for a long time.

It really is a shame. Shows our friendship is something we dont take serious.

Hey if you are not with us you are for the terrorists.

but you do have a point he did help us with rendition and torture.. err interrogating suspected terrorists.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back