$30K a year on UI; why go to work?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
New Jersey's jobless benefits are too generous and should be reduced, a Republican leader in the Assembly told business owners today.

Residents collecting $550 per week have little incentive to look for a job, Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce told the Business and Industry Association. He said cutting benefits is one way to prop up the unemployment fund, which is now $1.7 billion in the red to the federal government.

"I'm one of the few people here ... who feel that benefits are too good for these people," said DeCroce of Morris County. "Why go to work? If you can go for 26 weeks collecting $550 a week, and you get an extension for another 26, that's close to $27,000 a year or $30,000 a year, and a lot of people figure, 'Why go to work?'"

New Jersey's once-flush unemployment insurance fund was raided of $4.6 billion from 1992 to 2006 to pay for programs other than unemployment claims, according to the governor's office.

Business owners face an automatic unemployment insurance payroll tax increase in July unless something is done. The additional tax could be as high as $400 per employee, said Phil Kirschner of the NJBIA.

N.J. GOP assemblyman suggests reducing jobless benefits as incentive for unemployed to find work | NJ.com

Good question.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
New Jersey's jobless benefits are too generous and should be reduced, a Republican leader in the Assembly told business owners today.

Residents collecting $550 per week have little incentive to look for a job, Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce told the Business and Industry Association. He said cutting benefits is one way to prop up the unemployment fund, which is now $1.7 billion in the red to the federal government.

"I'm one of the few people here ... who feel that benefits are too good for these people," said DeCroce of Morris County. "Why go to work? If you can go for 26 weeks collecting $550 a week, and you get an extension for another 26, that's close to $27,000 a year or $30,000 a year, and a lot of people figure, 'Why go to work?'"

New Jersey's once-flush unemployment insurance fund was raided of $4.6 billion from 1992 to 2006 to pay for programs other than unemployment claims, according to the governor's office.

Business owners face an automatic unemployment insurance payroll tax increase in July unless something is done. The additional tax could be as high as $400 per employee, said Phil Kirschner of the NJBIA.

N.J. GOP assemblyman suggests reducing jobless benefits as incentive for unemployed to find work | NJ.com

Good question.

They must pay pretty good close to 600.00 a week.

Yes they do. I live in a seasonal area where many people work in the summer and collect all winter. And even so, many summer businesses have to hire foreign workers because they are short handed. Many people get paid cash under the table while they are collecting UI, and are also eligible for other entitlements. Fraud is rarely investigated. It's a complete mess, and business owners are left with the tab.

This guy will be villified for his "lack of compassion". Even though many know he speaks the truth.

Yes they do. I live in a seasonal area where many people work in the summer and collect all winter. And even so, many summer businesses have to hire foreign workers because they are short handed. Many people get paid cash under the table while they are collecting UI, and are also eligible for other entitlements. Fraud is rarely investigated. It's a complete mess, and business owners are left with the tab.

This guy will be villified for his "lack of compassion". Even though many know he speaks the truth.

No so much as business owners as tax payers, business owners get a write off for it tax payers don't.

The attitude is that because people contribute to it; it's theirs. That's why they call it "insurance" right? But the truth is that like all redistribution schemes, the takers get the majority of the pie. It's time for all these programs to be revamped and audited for waste. We have no choice.

The attitude is that because people contribute to it; it's theirs. That's why they call it "insurance" right? But the truth is that like all redistribution schemes, the takers get the majority of the pie. It's time for all these programs to be revamped and audited for waste. We have no choice.

Better idea would be to send all foreigners out of this country until times get better, then there would be plenty jobs to go round. and don't say Americans wont do those jobs they will when its all they can get.

Yay and nay froggy. I had an interesting conversation with a guy who owns a commercial fishing business. He had hired illegal Mexicans for years until he got caught and fined. He said this was actually a blessing in disguise because the feds put him in touch with a Russian employment program that has provided him with outstanding workers. He claims he CAN NOT get reliable help here at the shore. It is a dangerous, tough job. But these guys can pull in $100K a year. Too many would rather collect $30K doing nothing. Foreign workers are needed. But there is a LEGAL way.

If you're geting $550 a week you must have made at least $1,100 a week when you were working.

Could YOU take a hit in half your salary and be happy?

It isn't like every person collecting makes the same amount, ya know.

Generally you make about half your salary up to some limit (depending on the state).

Now when somebody working a crap seasonal job gets laid off and collects, I do not doubt that they also take an under the table job and wait it out fo the next season to start.

But when some gray or white collar guy making high six figures gets laid off most of them are in serious trouble (as they've been living that more expensive lifestyle) so they truly do want to get back to working at their former salaries.

As so many have pointed out there is ONE job out there for every FIVE unemployed.

So even if every person filled every job (and they cannot because they're not suited to the work) there's still be over 5 MILLION unemplyed workers and NO JOBS available for them.

Obviously the solution is jobs creation.

Merely taking people off unemployment will do nothing to solve the true problem this nation (and the unemployed) are facing

Last edited:

Good question.

In IL basically UI is 1/3 your salary of previous year working. So if one made $75k per year, benefits would be $25k per year. However, if salary was $30k per year, it's $10k per year-not minimum wage.

Worse yet, there's a built in disincentive to working full time for those at the lower end. One can work for up to 1/2 the weekly benefits and retain UI benefits. So if 1/2 of weekly benefits are $150, that's the amount that one can earn. Go over that, they start deducting, though one does pay the taxes on the 'earned income.' You lose.

Good question.
The "raiders" should cough up the money rather than businesses that employ Americans or the unemployed give up the insurance they paid for.

Yay and nay froggy. I had an interesting conversation with a guy who owns a commercial fishing business. He had hired illegal Mexicans for years until he got caught and fined. He said this was actually a blessing in disguise because the feds put him in touch with a Russian employment program that has provided him with outstanding workers. He claims he CAN NOT get reliable help here at the shore. It is a dangerous, tough job. But these guys can pull in $100K a year. Too many would rather collect $30K doing nothing. Foreign workers are needed. But there is a LEGAL way.

If Americans are lazy the blame should fall on the parents who gave their children everything

:bsflag: If this guy was paying illegals $100k a year he's no businessman.

I'll tell you what. Tell him to advertise his supposed 100k jobs nationwide and he can do the patriotic thing and hire good, HARD WORKING Americans all day long.

:bsflag: If this guy was paying illegals $100k a year he's no businessman.

I'll tell you what. Tell him to advertise his supposed 100k jobs nationwide and he can do the patriotic thing and hire good, HARD WORKING Americans all day long.

Oh I'm sure he does that too. But its very expensive to live here. Two of my girlfriends are married to commercial fishermen. One moved to AK; the other to ME. Making six figures there allows people to live more comfortably than here in NJ. I guess that the BP spill might have brought a few fishermen up north recently though.

Forum List

Back