30% of Mortgages underwater- how's that Hope and Change working for you?

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Meanwhile-

Bottom Line - Nearly 29% of mortgaged homes underwater, report finds

A whopping 28.6 percent of homeowners with mortgages owe more on their loans than their homes could sell for, according to quarterly data released Tuesday by Zillow, a real estate website. That's up from 26.8 percent in the second quarter. Home values declined only 0.2 percent from the second quarter but were down 4.4 percent year over year.

The rising percentage of homes with "negative equity" or "underwater" status is due largely to how long the foreclosure sale process takes rather than home value fluctuations, said Zillow chief economist Stan Humphries. Prior to the "robo-signing" scandal around foreclosures that came to light in 2010, the negative equity rate hovered in the 21 to 23 percent range, but has been in the 26 to 28 range since due to added delays in foreclosure sales. While the rate of foreclosures is dropping, the time required for foreclosures to sell has lengthened.

That's what happens when you let right wingers move 70% of the mortgage market to Wall Street.

What happens when credit is easy and homes become investments instead of homes.
And mortgages are packaged and traded on the market.

Last edited:
actually this is what happens when you create a real estate bubble.....the flipping and hiking of real estate prices has been going on for nearly 15 years.....you buy a house....do a few improvements and refi......with that refi money you could buy all kinds of personal property....so now you are not only putting your hopes in equity but you are burdening your mortgage with debts from personal property....it is a shame there are no fiance courses in high school....teaching people the perils of personal property debt and home mortgages....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyQOJxWOkA]Rickie Lee Jones: Easy Money - YouTube[/ame]

And if things continue to work out as they appear to be working out?

You can count on the number of homeowners with mortgages that are under water to continue to climb, too.

The median home price is still TOO HIGH in comparison to the median income.

WAY too high, I note.

american consumers bear a lot of the blame.....the most my house payment has ever been was 375 bucks...and that seemed like a lot to me.....the rule of thumb i was taught......no more than 25% of your income should go to housing....

Once again... most of the damage has happened on Obama's watch.

Sorry, man, I get tired of the excuses. If he can't make things better, he needs to go.

Not too bright are you?
the housing bubble happened entirely on Bush's watch.

Ohh the House republican controlled, how is that hope and change workin out for ya?

Darn good. We could tick off the terrible programs that haven't happened because of a GOP House. G-d bless Speaker Boehner!

This looks another "problem" that gov't will try to solve by throwing taxpayer money at it. In truth, unless 30% of the houses in the country are up for sale this is a non issue.

Sorry, man, I get tired of the excuses. If he can't make things better, he needs to go.

Not too bright are you?

Thick aren't we?
The decline in housing prices and the sustained depression in housing happened not only under Obama's watch but directly because of his policies.

You're full of shit. This happened under Bush's watch(and no, I am not blaming BOOOSH, like you do Obama). i am blaming greed in the banking system and the political influence that big banking has on our country.

Critical thinking? Do you Conservatives have any at all? Other than blaming government, of course.

Meanwhile-

A whopping 28.6 percent of homeowners with mortgages owe more on their loans than their homes could sell for, according to quarterly data released Tuesday by Zillow, a real estate website. That's up from 26.8 percent in the second quarter. Home values declined only 0.2 percent from the second quarter but were down 4.4 percent year over year.

The rising percentage of homes with "negative equity" or "underwater" status is due largely to how long the foreclosure sale process takes rather than home value fluctuations, said Zillow chief economist Stan Humphries. Prior to the "robo-signing" scandal around foreclosures that came to light in 2010, the negative equity rate hovered in the 21 to 23 percent range, but has been in the 26 to 28 range since due to added delays in foreclosure sales. While the rate of foreclosures is dropping, the time required for foreclosures to sell has lengthened.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqQx7sjoS8]Home Ownership and President Bush - YouTube[/ame]

Not too bright are you?

Thick aren't we?
The decline in housing prices and the sustained depression in housing happened not only under Obama's watch but directly because of his policies.

Wow... revisionist history from the silly rabbi... big surprise. Silly rabbi... Tricks are for kids... grow up a little and realize that you are being duped by your choice of reading and viewing material.

You're full of shit. This happened under Bush's watch(and no, I am not blaming BOOOSH, like you do Obama). i am blaming greed in the banking system and the political influence that big banking has on our country.

Critical thinking? Do you Conservatives have any at all? Other than blaming government, of course.

Yeah the republicans are the party of personal responsibility.

Meanwhile-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqQx7sjoS8]Home Ownership and President Bush - YouTube[/ame]

Great video.

Forum List

Back