30 minutes can save your life...skin checks

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
One in five Americans will develop some form of skin cancer during their lifetime, the Mount Sinai doctors cautioned. Although skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, it's also one of the most preventable, they noted in a center news release.

Wear sunblock. Almost half of all UV exposure occurs between the ages of 19 and 40 years. Sunblock should be applied to the body, around the eyes, lips, ears and feet everyday year-round. Dermatologists can recommend sunscreen for infants and sensitive areas, such as the eyelids or face.

Do not sunbathe. It may take between 10 and 20 years for the damage to show up, but the sun's rays dissolve the collagen and elastin in your skin.

Perform monthly self-checks. Monitor your brown spots, such as moles and freckles. If you have many of these spots, consult your dermatologist about total body photography. This preventative measure can help closely track the appearance of your spots to determine if they've changed over time.

Follow the ABCDEs. Consult a dermatologist if a mole has any of the following: Asymmetry (one side is different from the other); Border irregularity; Color variation (one area is a different shade or color than another); Diameter equal to or larger than a pencil eraser; Elevation (it is raised or has an uneven surface)

Doctors Urge Routine Skin Screenings - Yahoo!

lets see the first biospy came back basal cell cancer 6 or 7 years ago....since then i have been to the dermo on a 6 months full body check ...one really needs to do this...if you watch the papers most likely a clinic in your town is having a free check...you go in and show them a spot you are concerned with and they give you medical advice...

i would not trust my family doctor to do this...make sure you get a board certified dermo...and dont be shocked at the 5 whole minutes they are with you....the full body check is fast...dermos are fast....in and out without much conversation...most of the work is done by the staff....you will be given so much reading material.....i am use to that...last one they gave me....i read 3 paragraphs....looked up and said..'this is scaring the hell outta me' and tossed it back to them....

and once you begin and find that you have a small form of cancer....dont even think the staff will be kind....

you will go in ever 6 months they will call you....i swear i think if you fail to do it..they have an 'intervention' squad lol

i have tried to slide on appointments...it just doesnt work...they are a great office of people who understand grown adults acting like 3 yr olds ...

and my latest biopsy should be here today...the results....if its bad lets just hope for good margins lol....she put two stitches in the biopsy and when i wear undies around the house ...it looks like i have a big spider on my leg...good times...good times...

My brother had a clump of cancerous goop on his temple. We couldn't get him to the doc because he went off his meds and got Cuckoo's Nest all over again. So it just got bigger. Finally got him to his psych for a hefty Haldol shot and once he settled down, scheduled surgery. Dangerously close to his eye so he's lucky he didn't lose that.

I do trust my GP to give me a good looking-over at my annual visit. If he sees something dicey, he'll refer me to the dermo.

but why is it in the flame zone and not under medicine? doyathink?

I haven't been a member here as long as you, and even I know.....SB most always posts here threads in FZ.
No problem.

yes, but other folks get their asses kicked for post in the wrong place.. don't they? this is definitely a left leaning board. lefties don't have to follow the rulez.

no results...they will call when they get the results just like they always do.....i think i annoyed them lol

I've had a squamous and a basal cell. last one was on my scalp. Florida sunshine is bad news for blonde pink blue eyed peoples.. Do they do the mose (sp) surgery at your dermatoligist?

ps this should be in medicine.

Great post Bones!

I have been running from the sun since i was teen. Not so much becasue i have sensitive skin, but becasue i knew it was bad for you. The sun is a major player in aging. Im glad i did now with all of the information out on cancer.

I always wear a hat and UV sunglasses. I wear UV protective clothing. My daytime facial moisturizers and makeup are all UV protective. I have replaced my windows and have UV provocative coatings on them too!

I haven't been a member here as long as you, and even I know.....SB most always posts here threads in FZ.
No problem.

yes, but other folks get their asses kicked for post in the wrong place.. don't they? this is definitely a left leaning board. lefties don't have to follow the rulez.

My My...would you like a tissue?

Forum List

Back