30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote

now you know why they want smaller government.

Like Norquist said they want to kill it

Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote | CharlotteObserver.com

“Mainly, what we’re concerned about is the potential [for fraud],” said project director Jay DeLancy. “Since there is no voter ID law in North Carolina, anybody can walk in and claim to be anyone else.”

Read more here: Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote | CharlotteObserver.com

And this is a conspiracy, or were these folks legitimately registered and then they died?

Apparently to the 'nuts, it's voter fraud if you don't anticipate your demise and go un-register ahead of time.

BTW, North Carolina DOES have voter ID laws already, for registrants and 1st time voters.

They allow the following as ID:

VOTER REGISTRATION ID REQUIREMENTS
FIRST‐TIME VOTERS
Individuals who have registered
to vote and have not previously
voted in an election and have not
provided verifiable ID, must show
one of the following types of ID
to an election official the first
time they present to vote.
• Current and valid photo ID
• NC driver license or identification card
• U.S. Military ID
• U.S. Passport
• Other government‐issued photo ID
• Student photo ID
• Certified Naturalization Document
• Current document showing name and
address of the voter
• Utility bill: telephone; mobile phone;
electric or gas ; cable television; water
or sewage
• Bank statement or bank‐issued credit
card statement
• Government paycheck, invoice, letter,
or any other document from a local,
state, or U.S. government agency
• Property tax bill
• License to hunt, fish, own a gun, etc.
• Automotive registration
• Public housing or Social Service Agency
document
• Paycheck or paycheck stub from an
employer or a W‐2 statement
• Birth certificate

So I guess if the OP is so agitated by this non-issue, he should advocate for North Carolina to require every voter who shows up to bring at least one of the above.

Apparently to the 'nuts, it's voter fraud if you don't anticipate your demise and go un-register ahead of time.

I actually had a guy call me to do just that. He was putting together a package for when he passed away so his family wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm sure his family will appreciate his forethought. I certainly do.

Know what prevents me from getting dead people off the rolls? Personnel shortages. Back when there were four people doing my job instead of just one, we would actually go through the obits.

We do get a list of people who have died in the county every couple of weeks from the office of Vital Statistics. We try to get these updated before an election, but going back to those personnel shortages, it isn't always possible. Voter Registration takes priority over cancellation.

You'll notice that I stressed the "in the county" part...that's because if the person dies outside the county, we usually aren't notified. People just don't think to call the Registrar when someone passes. It usually takes getting a Jury notice or election material in the mail.

Keep throttling your local governments of money...

It should be a state vital statistics job to send election offices the list. It amazes me that the scumbag Republicans refuse to go after the real low hanging fruit. It's yet another indication that their purpose isn't to prevent illegal voting, and just another Jim Crow attempt to suppress turnout among the poor, the young, the disabled, and minorities.

BTW, North Carolina DOES have voter ID laws already, for registrants and 1st time voters.

FIRST‐TIME VOTERS
• U.S. Military ID
• U.S. Passport
• Student photo ID
address of the voter
or sewage
card statement
• Property tax bill
document
• Birth certificate

So I guess if the OP is so agitated by this non-issue, he should advocate for North Carolina to require every voter who shows up to bring at least one of the above.

How do you vote? Do you flash the pollster a Food Stamp? Is that your ID?

FIRST‐TIME VOTERS
• U.S. Military ID
• U.S. Passport
• Student photo ID
address of the voter
or sewage
card statement
• Property tax bill
document
• Birth certificate

A totally reasonable list.

Know what prevents me from getting dead people off the rolls? Personnel shortages. Back when there were four people doing my job instead of just one, we would actually go through the obits.

We do get a list of people who have died in the county every couple of weeks from the office of Vital Statistics. We try to get these updated before an election, but going back to those personnel shortages, it isn't always possible. Voter Registration takes priority over cancellation.

You'll notice that I stressed the "in the county" part...that's because if the person dies outside the county, we usually aren't notified. People just don't think to call the Registrar when someone passes. It usually takes getting a Jury notice or election material in the mail.

It should be a state vital statistics job to send election offices the list. It amazes me that the scumbag Republicans refuse to go after the real low hanging fruit. It's yet another indication that their purpose isn't to prevent illegal voting, and just another Jim Crow attempt to suppress turnout among the poor, the young, the disabled, and minorities.

They want democracy dead

FIRST‐TIME VOTERS
• U.S. Military ID
• U.S. Passport
• Student photo ID
address of the voter
or sewage
card statement
• Property tax bill
document
• Birth certificate

I am sure your poll watcher enjoys you insulting them, but in person you probably are a nice guy, this PC thug persona gets old here.

They want democracy dead

When the most wealthy are ponying up hundreds of millions of dollars, they want a return on investment. These funders aren't good citizens, they want to own our democracy. The rank and file GOP rubes are too stupid to see what these people expect for their money.

Wonder if you could go to any cemetary and find a bunch of dead people who were registered to vote?
Wtf does this prove. My dad is dead, he was registered to vote. rutro.

But then you are talking NC. Maybe the dead will rise again. Along with the south.

I actually had a guy call me to do just that. He was putting together a package for when he passed away so his family wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm sure his family will appreciate his forethought. I certainly do.

In my town, where everyone knows everyone, alive or dead, if you came in and tried to vote in place of a recently dead person, the old gals running the polls would just think you were making a joke.

FIRST‐TIME VOTERS
• U.S. Military ID
• U.S. Passport
• Student photo ID
address of the voter
or sewage
card statement
• Property tax bill
document
• Birth certificate

I am sure your poll watcher enjoys you insulting them, but in person you probably are a nice guy, this PC thug persona gets old here.

You musta missed his bragging about his verbal assault on an innocent woman who just wanted to pump some gas.

Problems arise when the names on the death certificates do not match the names on the voting records, which often happens after women get married, Board of Elections General Counsel Don Wright said Friday. Addresses are also often listed with slight differences, Wright said. An address on West Millbrook Road and Millbrook Road might be the same house, but computers won’t always catch it. “Unless there is an exact match, we do not remove people from the voter rolls,” Wright said.

Read more here: Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote | CharlotteObserver.com

headline is totally misleading.....read the entire article....it explains why dead people are still on the rolls....

but good way to try to make something out of nothing there great

Something out of nothing? We live in the digital age. We should be able to purge records in r/t. Perhaps if Dems weren't so interested in voter fraud, we could make this a reality.

The last time they did that was in Jeb Bush's Florida, and thousands of people were purged from the rolls that had every right to vote, but because they had a name similar to a convicted felon, they were removed.

I would have no problem establishing a national ID Card system and basing the voter rolls off that, but conservatives are the first one to complain if anyone ever suggests such a system.

Forum List

Back