'3 Strikes' laws....

'Three Strikes' Laws...

• does/ will result in long sentences or minor crimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • have no discernible effect

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Our Legislators are simply avoiding doing what is needed by shirking their responsibility to create laws that are effective and functional. 3 strikes is a means to avoid making hard decisions.

Judges should have more leeway to sentence in regards the crime and the circumstances of said crime. But with that we the people and the Government need to create a means to remove activist judges and those unwilling to do the job they signed on for.

I'm sure there are different variations of the three strikes laws amongst states. We always seem to hear about the extreme cases where a guy gets life for stealing a pack of cigarettes. But three major crimes is more than enough. How many pedophiles and murderers have rap sheets a mile long? Rehabilitation just doesn't work for career criminals.

And Sgt. I couldn't agree more about a means to remove bad judges.

Bad idea.

Three minor (so called) felonies puts somebody who is probably not a real threat in prison for life?

Meanwhile somebody who commits an obvious sociopathic crime is going to get out?

I don't think one can legislate and quantify justice by the numbers.

That's why we have judges, isn't it?

No system we can devise is always going to get it right, and no judge is always going to get it right either, of course.

But these hard and fast sentencing rules are bound to get it wrong a LOT, in my opinion.

We got millions of people in prison and damned little justice despite all that, in my anything but humble opinion.

I think you have some nerve commenting on others being idiots when you weren't smart enough to put a simple thread in it's right location - Law and Justice. :eusa_hand:

Oh, and a 3-Strikes law is completely idiotic in every sense of the word.

Bad idea.

Three minor (so called) felonies puts somebody who is probably not a real threat in prison for life?

Meanwhile somebody who commits an obvious sociopathic crime is going to get out?

No system we can devise is always going to get it right, and no judge is always going to get it right either, of course.

But these hard and fast sentencing rules are bound to get it wrong a LOT, in my opinion.

We got millions of people in prison and damned little justice despite all that, in my anything but humble opinion.

Maybe you should address your concerns to the legal profession.....

Bad idea.

What the fuck does that mean?

Bad idea.

It means we have Lawyers that only care about winning. DA's that ignore the oath they took to seek justice and try to convict anyone accused no matter the evidence or the facts.

We have Defense lawyers willing to lie and fabricate evidence as well. That go after personal attacks rather then stick to the facts.

We have Judges that refuse to punish and we have other Judges that max everyone out no matter what.

It means we have Lawyers that only care about winning. DA's that ignore the oath they took to seek justice and try to convict anyone accused no matter the evidence or the facts.

We have Defense lawyers willing to lie and fabricate evidence as well. That go after personal attacks rather then stick to the facts.

We have Judges that refuse to punish and we have other Judges that max everyone out no matter what.

I really did think that it was self-explanatory. Thanks, Sarge, for taking the time to spell it out for him.

it depends on the crime.

if you're caught robbing seven eleven three times then society doesn't need you and you can very well spend the rest of your life in prison without being missed.

on the other hand if you were caught smoking weed 3 times ... what does that say about you ? it just says you like to smoke weed ...

I'm all for the three strikes. In most state they are for the serious felon. They are predators of our society. If judges won't do their job, the 3 strikes will do it for them.

I'm kinda partial to "turn the other cheek" -- and that's as much as you get.

'3 strikes' laws....

Thought?

three-strikes21-Copy.jpg

"The mandatory sentencing craze that gripped the country four decades ago drove up the state prison population sevenfold — from under 200,000 in the early 1970s to about 1.4 million today — and pushed costs beyond $50 billion a year. Until recently, it seemed that the numbers would keep growing. But thanks to reforms in more than half the states, the prison census has edged down slightly — by just under 2 percent — since 2009. A new analysis by the Pew Charitable Trusts shows that the decline would have been considerably larger had the other states not been pulling in the opposite direction.

Even law-and-order states like Texas, which cut its imprisonment rate by 7 percent, have discovered that they can shrink the prison population without threatening public safety. Investing heavily in drug treatment and community supervision, Texas has avoided nearly $2 billion in spending on new prisons, while the crime rate has dropped to levels unseen since the 1960s. But even as the national prison population has declined, 20 other states — including Arizona, Arkansas, Pennsylvania and West Virginia — keep sending more people to prison than need to be there."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back