3 Simple Arguments Against the #MeToo Movement

EvilWhiteMale

Rookie
Mar 20, 2018
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to this forum (although I've lurked around for a little while without posting) but I wanted to share with you my arguments against the feminist '#MeToo' movement which has been circulating since October of last year. Lately there's been plenty of backlash against #MeToo, so I'm curious to know what the general opinion is.

Any feedback on my video (good or bad) is much appreciated! :)

Here are my three arguments:

1. The #MeToo Movement Lacks a Consistent Standard
What I mean by this is that when we are talking about sexual violence it is an absolute necessity that we draw some lines in the sand. We men especially need to know exactly what behaviour qualifies as appropriate, what behaviour qualifies as inappropriate and what behaviour qualifies as utterly unconscionable. We also need to know what exactly the MeToo movement is taking a stand against. Is MeToo only for rape victims? Or is it for abuse victims more generally, or what? Where is the line drawn?

The problem with MeToo is that the stories posted under its banner cover almost the entire spectrum of sexually undesirable behaviour, ranging from ‘I was raped as a child’ to ‘someone winked at me on the bus’. And almost any negative sexual experience that could possibly be inflicted on a woman, so long as it’s posted alongside that hashtag MeToo, is treated by the left with an almost identical, uniform degree of seriousness.

The truly terrible thing about this line of reasoning is that the voices of real victims - the ones whose stories are backed up with actual, prosecutable evidence - are being drowned out by spiteful feminist rants about ‘mansplaining’ or ‘catcalling’ that don’t accomplish anything. Rape is being trivialised by the MeToo movement. It’s getting to the point where the scope of what qualifies as sexual harassment is so broad that abuse is seen as a banality, something happens to all almost all women at some point in their lives.

(At this point I’d show some rape statistics to prove that there’s no statistical grounds for a moral panic - check the video for these sources).

1. The #MeToo Movement Promotes Victimhood as a Virtue
What I mean by this is that the intended goal of any movement against rape or sexual violence should surely be to end rape or sexual violence, or to at least reduce it. But as MeToo’s founder Tarana Burke said; MeToo is not about producing evidence, finding actual rapists and locking them up, no; it’s about ’empowerment through empathy’.

It’s about women at large coming together and soaking themselves in sympathy. The typical process of MeToo posting goes like this; a woman tweets her story of alleged sexual violence, almost always without naming her assailant or offering any supporting evidence whatsoever, and is then rewarded with adoring comments, likes and retweets. It’s a process that clearly incentivises victimhood with its own reward scheme.

And when rape and sexual assault victims receive such an outpouring of sympathy and attention, it’s only natural that those women who haven’t been raped or assaulted in their lives are going to want a share of the victimhood as well. That’s why we’ve seen the scope of what qualifies as sexually violent behaviour widen to the point that any woman who’s been catcalled on the street is now regarded as equivalent to a victim of rape.

1. The #MeToo Movement Destroys Trust Between Men and Women
So, as I mentioned earlier, the MeToo movement offers no explanation whatsoever as to the boundaries of sexual consent. So long as a woman feels like she’s been abused, regardless of what actually happened, that’s all that matters. But if we men don’t know what is acceptable and what is not, if we don’t know what the rule is, then how are we supposed to abide by the rule?

Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice summed this effect up pretty well in my opinion. She said; ‘Let’s not turn women into snowflakes. Let’s not infantilise women. I don’t want it to get to a place where men start to think, well, maybe it’s better to not have women around’.

And she’s exactly right. I mean, it’s getting to the point where a man can’t even lean in for a kiss without the threat of a career-ending accusation surfacing at some point in the future. If this is what sexual relationships are going to be like from now on, then there’s a reasonable argument to be made that men may as well just give up on women completely. It’s just not worth the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never watch videos in links. I come here to read.
Recap the three objections in simple terms, please.

I already have stated my three objections in very simple terms. If you're too lazy to click play on a video and listen then I can do nothing for you. :)

I already have stated my three objections in very simple terms. If you're too lazy to click play on a video and listen then I can do nothing for you. :)

Of course you can. You can use your words, and type out your points, just like every other poster here.

You're choosing not to, because you're more interested in getting YouTube views than actually discussing the issues here.

Don't be surprised if most of the posters here echo what has already been said. This isn't a video trading site, this is a political message board.

Of course you can. You can use your words, and type out your points, just like every other poster here.

You're choosing not to, because you're more interested in getting YouTube views than actually discussing the issues here.

Don't be surprised if most of the posters here echo what has already been said. This isn't a video trading site, this is a political message board.

I see where you're coming from, but I till think that video is a perfectly acceptable way to put forward one's arguments. Anyway, I've updated my thread with some text explaining my arguments, for those who aren't into that... Now can we please talk about the issues at hand? :)

EDIT: How do I edit my title thread? I want to paste my argument in but can't seem to find how to edit my thread... Advice would be appreciated.

I might agree with you, but I'll never know because I'm not watching a video. Just summarize your opinion in writing in a few bullet points.

Where to start.

The Me Too movement isn't about you. It's about women finally having the support to come forward with their experiences of men misusing their power and authority to get --or try to get -- sexual favors. If you aren't doing that to anyone, you're good, no worries.

Pretty sure you can't do much for anybody.

I might agree with you, but I'll never know because I'm not watching a video. Just summarize your opinion in writing in a few bullet points.

Fine. Here are my three arguments:

What I mean by this is that when we are talking about sexual violence it is an absolute necessity that we draw some lines in the sand. We men especially need to know exactly what behaviour qualifies as appropriate, what behaviour qualifies as inappropriate and what behaviour qualifies as utterly unconscionable. We also need to know what exactly the MeToo movement is taking a stand against. Is MeToo only for rape victims? Or is it for abuse victims more generally, or what? Where is the line drawn?

The problem with MeToo is that the stories posted under its banner cover almost the entire spectrum of sexually undesirable behaviour, ranging from ‘I was raped as a child’ to ‘someone winked at me on the bus’. And almost any negative sexual experience that could possibly be inflicted on a woman, so long as it’s posted alongside that hashtag MeToo, is treated by the left with an almost identical, uniform degree of seriousness.

The truly terrible thing about this line of reasoning is that the voices of real victims - the ones whose stories are backed up with actual, prosecutable evidence - are being drowned out by spiteful feminist rants about ‘mansplaining’ or ‘catcalling’ that don’t accomplish anything. Rape is being trivialised by the MeToo movement. It’s getting to the point where the scope of what qualifies as sexual harassment is so broad that abuse is seen as a banality, something happens to all almost all women at some point in their lives.

(At this point I’d show some rape statistics to prove that there’s no statistical grounds for a moral panic - check the video for these sources).

What I mean by this is that the intended goal of any movement against rape or sexual violence should surely be to end rape or sexual violence, or to at least reduce it. But as MeToo’s founder Tarana Burke said; MeToo is not about producing evidence, finding actual rapists and locking them up, no; it’s about ’empowerment through empathy’.

It’s about women at large coming together and soaking themselves in sympathy. The typical process of MeToo posting goes like this; a woman tweets her story of alleged sexual violence, almost always without naming her assailant or offering any supporting evidence whatsoever, and is then rewarded with adoring comments, likes and retweets. It’s a process that clearly incentivises victimhood with its own reward scheme.

And when rape and sexual assault victims receive such an outpouring of sympathy and attention, it’s only natural that those women who haven’t been raped or assaulted in their lives are going to want a share of the victimhood as well. That’s why we’ve seen the scope of what qualifies as sexually violent behaviour widen to the point that any woman who’s been catcalled on the street is now regarded as equivalent to a victim of rape.

So, as I mentioned earlier, the MeToo movement offers no explanation whatsoever as to the boundaries of sexual consent. So long as a woman feels like she’s been abused, regardless of what actually happened, that’s all that matters. But if we men don’t know what is acceptable and what is not, if we don’t know what the rule is, then how are we supposed to abide by the rule?

Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice summed this effect up pretty well in my opinion. She said; ‘Let’s not turn women into snowflakes. Let’s not infantilise women. I don’t want it to get to a place where men start to think, well, maybe it’s better to not have women around’.

And she’s exactly right. I mean, it’s getting to the point where a man can’t even lean in for a kiss without the threat of a career-ending accusation surfacing at some point in the future. If this is what sexual relationships are going to be like from now on, then there’s a reasonable argument to be made that men may as well just give up on women completely. It’s just not worth the risk.

I live by a few simple rules.

1. In the workplace never touch anyone or compliment anyone on their looks or clothing. Just do your job a go home.
2. "NO" really does actually mean NO.
3. Apply common sense.

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to this forum (although I've lurked around for a little while without posting) but I wanted to share with you my arguments against the feminist '#MeToo' movement which has been circulating since October of last year. Lately there's been plenty of backlash against #MeToo, so I'm curious to know what the general opinion is.

Any feedback on my video (good or bad) is much appreciated! :)

Here are my three arguments:

What America Needs Is an Ambidextrous Guillotine

The Left/Right Axis can only survive if it emasculates healthy males.

Where to start.

The Me Too movement isn't about you. It's about women finally having the support to come forward with their experiences of men misusing their power and authority to get --or try to get -- sexual favors. If you aren't doing that to anyone, you're good, no worries.

I have to disagree with you there. It may be the case that some women perceive MeToo in this way, but the I think the left as a whole would disagree. Here's one article which appears to endow upon 'all men' the duty of the preventing sexual violence: Not all men are guilty of violence and sexism – but all men have a responsibility to stop those crimes

As I mentioned in my video, some (if not most) of the MeToo stories are basically spiteful rants about non-issues like 'mansplaining' or 'catcalling', that the silent majority of women just aren't overly bothered about.

Where to start.

I have to disagree with you there. It may be the case that some women perceive MeToo in this way, but the I think the left as a whole would disagree. Here's one article which appears to endow upon 'all men' the duty of the preventing sexual violence: Not all men are guilty of violence and sexism – but all men have a responsibility to stop those crimes

As I mentioned in my video, some (if not most) of the MeToo stories are basically spiteful rants about non-issues like 'mansplaining' or 'catcalling', that the silent majority of women just aren't overly bothered about.
Amazing...men are such victims, aren't they?

Where to start.

Yes,all men have a moral responsibility to help stop harassment. It's the only moral thing to do. You do know what morality is, don't you?

The dirty little secret is that the people who benefit from Planned Parenthood aren't women. They are the liberal sexual abusing men who can have their responsibilities eliminated at the stroke of a scalpel.

Where to start.

No, of course not. Everyone knows that only women can be victims.

Where to start.

No. If you watched my video, you'd know that I disagree with the victimhood ideology of the left. What I'm saying is that there's no statistical grounds for a moral panic. Sexual violence has declined 60% from 1995-2010.

Where to start.

Yes,all men have a moral responsibility to help stop harassment. It's the only moral thing to do. You do know what morality is, don't you?

I can get behind that sentiment. What I take issue is with is the sly insinuation that all men are somehow responsible for people like Harvey Weinstein. That if we'd only stepped up and taken a stand, things would be okay. It's one thing to talk about endowing people with this responsibility, but why should it be men only who have this burden? If you're a woman, shouldn't you have the responsibility to prevent sexual violence too?

Where to start.

No. If you watched my video, you'd know that I disagree with the victimhood ideology of the left. What I'm saying is that there's no statistical grounds for a moral panic. Sexual violence has declined 60% from 1995-2010.

Where to start.

I can get behind that sentiment. What I take issue is with is the sly insinuation that all men are somehow responsible for people like Harvey Weinstein. That if we'd only stepped up and taken a stand, things would be okay. It's one thing to talk about endowing people with this responsibility, but why should it be men only who have this burden? If you're a woman, shouldn't you have the responsibility to prevent sexual violence too?

Women didn't have the power to demand change. Men condemning Weinstein's well known behavior could have put pressure on him that he would have responded to. Men just looked the other way when common decency demanded they say and do something. The degradation of that many women just didn't bother the men around Weinstein enough to act.

Where to start.

Where to start.

Not watching your silly video. And no one has ever said all men are responsible. There are many many decent men.

Forum List

Back