3 Positive Obama Actions

JimGagnepain

Rookie
Sep 14, 2010
I hear a lot of criticism about Barack Obama and his policies. I would like to focus on 3 very positive actions that this President has taken.

1. The Cairo speech: The speech in Cairo was a tremendous step of diplomacy in the Middle East, at a time when Anti-American sentiment there was at an all-time high. It hasn't solved all the problems, but it certainly sent a meaningful message to peace-loving Middle-Easterners. One wonders how much potential violence has been curtailed through this simple speech. A gutsy action.

2. High Speed Rail projects: Federal backing of the high speed rail project between Tampa and Orlando, a very high-traffic route, has been approved. When the Tampa Legislature voted down their local Light Rail projects, the Obama Administration sent the Transportation Secretary there, to inform them that Federal funding would not be available. The Tampa group called an emergency assembly, and approved their local Light RAil. In an era where the US needs to reduce it's dependence on foreign oil, this kind of Politicking will be mandatory. Other Rail projects have been approved.

3. Health Care Reform: One hears nothing but negatives on Health Care Reform. The bottom line is that uninsured DO GET medical treatment today. Also, foreigners get emergency medical treatment today. Similarly, if a US citizen is in an auto accident in Germany or another European country, he/she will be hospitalized, whether or not he/she can afford it, or has insurance. The verdict is still out on Health Care reform. Remember, either way, these people (the current uninsured) are treated today, and taxpayers are either directly or indirectly footing the bill. The hope is that these people will now start to use preventative medicine, such as Doctor visits and regular Physical Exams, instead of waiting for the condition to worsen, increasing the medical expense.

I hear a lot of criticism about Barack Obama and his policies. I would like to focus on 3 very positive actions that this President has taken.

1. The Cairo speech: The speech in Cairo was a tremendous step of diplomacy in the Middle East, at a time when Anti-American sentiment there was at an all-time high. It hasn't solved all the problems, but it certainly sent a meaningful message to peace-loving Middle-Easterners. One wonders how much potential violence has been curtailed through this simple speech. A gutsy action.
2. High Speed Rail projects: Federal backing of the high speed rail project between Tampa and Orlando, a very high-traffic route, has been approved. When the Tampa Legislature voted down their local Light Rail projects, the Obama Administration sent the Transportation Secretary there, to inform them that Federal funding would not be available. The Tampa group called an emergency assembly, and approved their local Light RAil. In an era where the US needs to reduce it's dependence on foreign oil, this kind of Politicking will be mandatory. Other Rail projects have been approved.

3. Health Care Reform: One hears nothing but negatives on Health Care Reform. The bottom line is that uninsured DO GET medical treatment today. Also, foreigners get emergency medical treatment today. Similarly, if a US citizen is in an auto accident in Germany or another European country, he/she will be hospitalized, whether or not he/she can afford it, or has insurance. The verdict is still out on Health Care reform. Remember, either way, these people (the current uninsured) are treated today, and taxpayers are either directly or indirectly footing the bill. The hope is that these people will now start to use preventative medicine, such as Doctor visits and regular Physical Exams, instead of waiting for the condition to worsen, increasing the medical expense.

How come people in the middle east are so fucking violent? they solve everything with violence? shit mon.

Perhaps you are man enough to splain to us how stealing 960 billion dollars from the groups that needs the most care just when million more of the baby boomers will be needing that care is such a fucking brilliant idea? stray away from you fucking talking points and splain that shit to us.

How come people in the middle east are so fucking violent? they solve everything with violence? shit mon.

Perhaps you are man enough to splain to us how stealing 960 billion dollars from the groups that needs the most care just when million more of the baby boomers will be needing that care is such a fucking brilliant idea? stray away from you fucking talking points and splain that shit to us.

Can you ever type a post without intentionally misspelling something to "make yourself look cool"?

Nice attempt to put a rational spin on partisan interpretations. Trying to keep up with the Gingrinches?

Can you ever type a post without intentionally misspelling something to "make yourself look cool"?

Hey buddy I'm stamped with cool. you izz stamped with stuppid. :lol:

Hey buddy I'm stamped with cool. you izz stamped with stuppid. :lol:

Got it, thanks.

I wonder if there has been any measurable effect. And how exactly was this gutsy?

What exactly is the high speed rail line supposed to do? The proponents of this plan 20 years ago told us that without high speed rail the entire corridor would not grow at all. Now the proponents point to massive traffic jams on I-4 as evidence that we need high speed rail there. Will a train down the middle of it ease any of the clogging? It won't remove any of the cars and tractor trailers going between Lakeland and Daytona, it won't remove any of the 4 corners commuter traffic going between Orlando and Davenport. It won't remove any of the cars going from Kissimmee to Tampa.

While that "hope" is properly categorized as such, that doesn't do anything to actually address the real problem with healthcare, which is that medical staff has to serve two masters, the patient and the customer.

Here are my 3 very positive actions that our President has taken:

1. National Defense: From carrying over SECDEF Gates to escalating Afghanistan, to continuing the Bush plan for Iraq, Obama has done pretty well here. There are major differences in strategy, but at the end of the day he did not do what his surrogates told the left wing base he would do, which was end these wars quickly. I give him credit for not taking the easy politically popular route. We can differ on the details, but it's clear that we won in Iraq.

2. Supreme Court Nominees: President Obama did exactly what he promised to do, appoint left of center ideologues to The Bench and that's entirely in line with the proper role the President fills. I disagree with his slant and interpretation of the Constitution, but I applaud a partisan who puts his money where his mouth is, so to speak. I'd rather have an honest liberal than a politicking conservative as a Justice any day. Maybe next time around right of center voters will understand why this is a much bigger issue than simple litmus tests and keeping score on court cases.

3. Private Schools: Our President certainly leads by example and takes his job as father to his children seriously. We should all agree that he and the First Lady have the right to choose what is best for their children. I applaud him for showing that currently Public Schools aren't the best choice.

Forum List

Back