3 day waiting period and Background Check

A right delayed is a right denied.

No, it is not.

Funny... because you have to be completely nuts to NOT take issue with:
- A precondition on the exercise of a right not inherent to same
- A precondtition on the exercise of a right that presupposes said exercise is illegal, and held until shown that to not be the case - that is, a form or prior restraint.

Felons and the legally insane lose several rights for the protection of society.

Are you suggesting that we should allow schizophrenic sociopaths all their rights even if they endanger their entire community by doing so?

A right delayed is a right denied.
No, it is not.
Really. So MLK2 was wrong, and so long as we let colored people -eventually- exercise their civil rights, their rights arent violated. Interesting that you think so, but good to see you admit it.

Funny... because you have to be completely nuts to NOT take issue with:
- A precondition on the exercise of a right not inherent to same
- A precondtition on the exercise of a right that presupposes said exercise is illegal, and held until shown that to not be the case - that is, a form or prior restraint.
Felons and the legally insane lose several rights for the protection of society.
Irrelevant to what i said.
Are you suggesting that we should allow schizophrenic sociopaths all their rights even if they endanger their entire community by doing so?
You'd get farther if you address what I said rather than what you want me to say.

Really?
On which side of the M16A2 upper willl you find the bolt carrier release?

Jeez that was 20 years ago, and I was in MI (my MOS was 98H), so I stopped re-assembling weapons in AIT.

But I believe, if I remember correctly, the take-down pin is on the right, and that'll let you separate the receivers, which will allow you to remove the bolt carrier.
Its not a weapons assemly function, its an operation function.
The bolt carrier gets held open my an empty mag,. You drop the mag, insert a new mag, and then hit the bolt carrier release to close the bolt.
On what side of the upper is the bolt carrier release?

Oh you mean the bolt catch? That's on the left.

Last edited:
Jeez that was 20 years ago, and I was in MI (my MOS was 98H), so I stopped re-assembling weapons in AIT.

But I believe, if I remember correctly, the take-down pin is on the right, and that'll let you separate the receivers, which will allow you to remove the bolt carrier.
Its not a weapons assemly function, its an operation function.
The bolt carrier gets held open my an empty mag,. You drop the mag, insert a new mag, and then hit the bolt carrier release to close the bolt.
On what side of the upper is the bolt carrier release?

Oh you mean the bolt catch? That's on the left.
Bzzt. Its on the lower, not the upper.

Dude, it's been 20 years since I even handled an M16. Even then, the best I ever scored on the range was "Marksman". (I almost scored "Sharpshooter" once in AIT, missed by one target.)

I'm completely unfamiliar with the "upper" and "lower" terminology you are using. Perhaps it's just that time has taken it's toll...

Are "upper" and "lower" different types of M16s?

I was in communications surveillance. Ask me about triangulating signals, or morse code... LOL.

Last edited:
Really though, I'm not really sure what the problem with 3-day waiting periods and background checks it.

I can't think of any situation where someone so desperately needs a gun, that they can't wait 3 days.

And I can't think of any situation where a man who isn't legally completely nuts, or a convicted felon, would have an issue with a standard background check.

You can not think of any situation where someone so desperately needs a gun?
Girl breaks up with boy. Boy threatens her. Boy sees her with another man later that day. Girl wants to get gun to protect herself.
Boy comes back that night, breaks down the door and strangles her to death.
Just one of a thousand and one scenarios.
Waiting 5 minutes is too long. We have a Constitutional right to protect ourselves.

Girl breaks up with boy. Boy threatens her. Boy sees her with another man later that day. Girl wants to get gun to protect herself.
Waiting 5 minutes is too long. We have a Constitutional right to protect ourselves.

That's what the police are for. Also, knives, baseball bats, guard dogs, large neighbors, brothers, uncles, etc, etc.

And if said girl had such a damn hotheaded boyfriend, she should have bought a gun a long time ago.

Also, boy would not be able to go into a gun shop and buy a gun to kill girl with a waiting period, until he cooled off....

That's what the police are for. Also, knives, baseball bats, guard dogs, large neighbors, brothers, uncles, etc, etc.

And if said girl had such a damn hotheaded boyfriend, she should have bought a gun a long time ago.

Also, boy would not be able to go into a gun shop and buy a gun to kill girl with a waiting period, until he cooled off....

The police are not there for security.
Respectfully, anyone that believes that is about as naive and gullible as they come.
The police RESPOND to the violence AFTER SHE IS DEAD.
The guy can strangle her.
No offense to you but you do not live in the real world.
Police do not provide security. Figured you would figure out a way to blame the girl someway, somehow to make it her fault the guy attacked her.
Guns never kill, PEOPLE KILL.

The shooter in the worst school shooting in history at Va. Tech was able to purchase weapons because a glitch in the law said that psychiatric illness was privileged information and the instant check was unable to access psychiatric records. I understand the glitch has been corrected. An additional problem was that students were given favorable treatment by the local police because members of the university controlled the local government and dictated policy to the Police. The perp should have been arrested for stalking coeds but the local Police let him go. An arrest would have prevented the legal purchase of a weapon. The use of psychotropic drugs should be addressed in the instant name check. If the state wants to ignore prescription drug use for psychiatric conditions then bring the issue out in the open.

The police are not there for security.
Respectfully, anyone that believes that is about as naive and gullible as they come.
The police RESPOND to the violence AFTER SHE IS DEAD.
The guy can strangle her.
No offense to you but you do not live in the real world.
Police do not provide security. Figured you would figure out a way to blame the girl someway, somehow to make it her fault the guy attacked her.
Guns never kill, PEOPLE KILL.

Alright, fine, there are some extremely rare circumstances in which one could conceivably want to purchase a weapon within a 3 day waiting period.

What's to stop that girl from buying a Taser instead? It'd work just as well at stopping her asshole ex-boyfriend.

And no, I'm no "blaming" the girl, I'm stating that if one is going to put themselves in harm's way, they should be armed when they do it.

That's a gun-ownership supporting position, by the way.

And besides, any ex-boyfriend who was a violent psychopath like the one you describe (who would go back to the girl's house and kill her in cold blood) is likely to have a criminal record.

It would be much more beneficial in this situation to make sure that a psychopath like him couldn't obtain a gun to shoot her with, than to make sure she could get a gun.

I'll tell you what, i'm for that, IF we do it for abortion, where you directly plan to kill someone (Id like more, I'll settle for this, it's all about compromise folks)

An abortion isn't killing anyone. A zygote is not a person.

But, be that as it may, the people who perform abortions are in fact licensed doctors, are registered, are insured, and cannot perform the operation while drunk.

So, what's your point?

Uhh, no they're not. The House is trying to pass a law REQUIRING that abortions be performed by licensed doctors, but the abortion industry (read Planned Parenthood) is having a FIT over it.

Uhh, no they're not. The House is trying to pass a law REQUIRING that abortions be performed by licensed doctors, but the abortion industry (read Planned Parenthood) is having a FIT over it.

That's just false.

(read "false")

Oops, I misspoke, on 2 fronts. Several states, not the House of Reps, are trying to require abortionists to be certified Ob/Gyns, which is NOT required at the moment.

Oops, I misspoke, on 2 fronts. Several states, not the House of Reps, are trying to require abortionists to be certified Ob/Gyns, which is NOT required at the moment.

That's all political grandstanding.

Performing an abortion is like any other medical procedure, and is covered under malpractice laws.

Forum List

Back