$3.75

$3.75 really sucks. Gas is up 50 cents a gallon in the last six months. What are we going to do?

I buy ten gallons of gas each week. That means I have to fork over an extra $5 a week for gas

What should I do Willow?

I mean $5 is just so much money. Should I sell my $30,000 car?

I'm sure all the poor people see it this way don't ewe?

So nice of you to be so concerned about poor people

Are these the same poor people that you want to raise taxes on? The same ones you claim drive Escalades and use food stamps to buy filet mignon and lobster?

You mean this isn't the "Hope" and "Change" they were looking for when they voted for the asshole in 2008?

Oil companies do not set the price of gas. The market does that, based on perceived notions of supply and demand world-wide. If Obama had approved the XL Pipeline, lifted the moratorium on oil drilling permits, and opened up ANWAR for drilling, the price of oil and gas would be headed south big time and we'd be a lot closer to oil independence. Instead, we're working on pond scum, wind turbins, and solar panels made in China. Maybe those things will eventually be economically viable; but they ain't viable now and it'll be awhile before they are.

Only .02 per gallon profit according to a right wing viral email I got yesterday.

That would be abut 20 gal of gas per barrel of crude so so .40 per barrel profit just on the gas from it.

How many barrels of crude do we burn thru a day?

Last edited:
Oil companies do not set the price of gas. The market does that, based on perceived notions of supply and demand world-wide. If Obama had approved the XL Pipeline, lifted the moratorium on oil drilling permits, and opened up ANWAR for drilling, the price of oil and gas would be headed south big time and we'd be a lot closer to oil independence. Instead, we're working on pond scum, wind turbins, and solar panels made in China. Maybe those things will eventually be economically viable; but they ain't viable now and it'll be awhile before they are.

The XL pipeline raises the price of oil for US customers. Obama has raised domestic oil production to levels higher than Bush

I wonder how much profit do they make on all the other products that are distilled from the oil?

Gas is less than half of a barrel of crude.

The XL pipeline raises the price of oil for US customers. Obama has raised domestic oil production to levels higher than Bush

From Polifact:

Here are the annual totals, in barrels produced, going back to 2003:

2003: 2,073,453,000
2004: 1,983,302,000
2005: 1,890,106,000
2006: 1,862,259,000
2007: 1,848,450,000
2008: 1,811,817,000
2009: 1,956,596,000
2010: 2,011,856,000

So, 2010 is definitely the highest since 2003. But we’ll note a couple of caveats.

First, production levels actually have been quite stable over the eight-year period. Comparing 2009 and 2010 statistics, petroleum production only rose about 3 percent. And the level for 2010 is only 11 percent higher than for the lowest year in that eight-year period. So the increase the president is referring to is not particularly dramatic.

The second caveat is that the Energy Information Administration projects that production totals are poised to fall from their current levels over the next two years.

Domestic crude oil production, the agency says, is projected to decline by 110,000 barrels a day in 2011 and by an additional 130,000 barrels per day in 2012. The agency makes that projection based on expected production declines in Alaska due to maturing oil fields. Production in the Gulf of Mexico is also projected to decline. Both are partially offset by projected increases in the Lower 48 states, but on balance, EIA sees the numbers falling.

So Obama is right that American oil production is at its highest level since 2003, but we’re taking the statement down a notch on our rating scale because the amount is projected to fall during each of the next two years, making it somewhat problematic to use the number as evidence that domestic oil production is on a healthy trendline. On balance, we rate the statement Mostly True.

me:
The increase in production for Obama is on the back of Bush's policies, not his own. As you well know, Obama absolutely hates fossil fuels, he even disobeyed a court order from a federal judge in Louisiana to allow drilling to resume in the Gulf after the BP oil spill.

And BTW, how do you figure the XL Pipeline will raise the price of oil? You'd rather get it from the middle east than Canada?

From Polifact:

So, 2010 is definitely the highest since 2003. But we’ll note a couple of caveats.

First, production levels actually have been quite stable over the eight-year period. Comparing 2009 and 2010 statistics, petroleum production only rose about 3 percent. And the level for 2010 is only 11 percent higher than for the lowest year in that eight-year period. So the increase the president is referring to is not particularly dramatic.

The second caveat is that the Energy Information Administration projects that production totals are poised to fall from their current levels over the next two years.

Domestic crude oil production, the agency says, is projected to decline by 110,000 barrels a day in 2011 and by an additional 130,000 barrels per day in 2012. The agency makes that projection based on expected production declines in Alaska due to maturing oil fields. Production in the Gulf of Mexico is also projected to decline. Both are partially offset by projected increases in the Lower 48 states, but on balance, EIA sees the numbers falling.

So Obama is right that American oil production is at its highest level since 2003, but we’re taking the statement down a notch on our rating scale because the amount is projected to fall during each of the next two years, making it somewhat problematic to use the number as evidence that domestic oil production is on a healthy trendline. On balance, we rate the statement Mostly True.

me:
The increase in production for Obama is on the back of Bush's policies, not his own. As you well know, Obama absolutely hates fossil fuels, he even disobeyed a court order from a federal judge in Louisiana to allow drilling to resume in the Gulf after the BP oil spill.

And BTW, how do you figure the XL Pipeline will raise the price of oil? You'd rather get it from the middle east than Canada?

It will raise prices because right now the Canadians have no other customers to sell it to other than the mid west United States. The pipeline allows the oil to reach a port and be sold internationally

Barry will get the blame just as he would get the kudos if gas were 19 cents a gallon.
The president of the United States, regardless of who he is can do little about the international price of oil. Drilling more wells does not necessary mean low gas prices in the US. Oil is sold on an international market. In 2011, the US exported more oil than it imported.

From Polifact:

me:

It will raise prices because right now the Canadians have no other customers to sell it to other than the mid west United States. The pipeline allows the oil to reach a port and be sold internationally

Really, no other customers? I heard the Canadians were talking with the Chinese about shipping their oil to them. And I see no logic at all for how prices would go higher if the XL Pipeline was approved. That is ridiculous, more supply on the market means lower prices.

Barry will get the blame just as he would get the kudos if gas were 19 cents a gallon.
The president of the United States, regardless of who he is can do little about the international price of oil. Drilling more wells does not necessary mean low gas prices in the US. Oil is sold on an international market. In 2011, the US exported more oil than it imported.

More drilling means more supply, means lower prices. That's Econ 101, no? And we export refined oil and gasoline, we do not export crude oil, at least not more than we import.

per gallon in my town.. It occurred to me this morning the oil companies might be doing this on purpose to make obama look bad for his anti oil policies.. in that case it would be worth it don'tchyathink?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Obama seeks to end oil industry tax breaks — again | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Obama seeks to end oil industry tax breaks — again

President Barack Obama called today for boosting funding for pipeline safety and renewable energy while again proposing to roll back several tax breaks for the oil and gas industry.

In his fiscal 2013 budget proposal, submitted to Congress today, Obama proposed boosting research funding and extending tax credits for clean energy as well as providing more money for energy-efficiency programs. He also called for rolling back oil and gas “tax preferences” worth $40 billion over 10 years.

It is the fourth straight year Obama has called for rolling back tax breaks for the oil and gas industry, but that call — and the budget more generally — is largely a symbolic statement because it stands little chance to pass through Congress.

ETC ETC ETC

the oil companies might be doing this on purpose ... in that case it would be worth it don'tchyathink?

Perhaps if the Administration were able to show who supports the oil industry - and no, the oil industry is just rabid with greed.

" Perhaps if the Administration were able to show who supports the oil industry "

That would be every politician from big oil industry states. Repubs and Dems at every level.

" Perhaps if the Administration were able to show who supports the oil industry "

That would be every politician from big oil industry states. Repubs and Dems at every level.

Maybe that would still be beneficial ... and the Dems might go for an export "tax" everyone knows the Rs would fight tooth and nail, exposing their true identity if anyone is still in doubt.

From Polifact:

me:

Really, no other customers? I heard the Canadians were talking with the Chinese about shipping their oil to them. And I see no logic at all for how prices would go higher if the XL Pipeline was approved. That is ridiculous, more supply on the market means lower prices.

Right now, because of where the oil shale is located, they have no other available customers than the US Midwest. Unless China wants to fly it, they have no access. A pipeline to Houston means other nations including China can bid on that oil meaning higher prices

Canada has two options for the pipeline, through the US or through Canada. Going through Canada has it's own environmental challenges plus it has to pass through tribal lands.

The US does not gain much in terms of reduced oil prices

Maybe that would still be beneficial ... and the Dems might go for an export "tax" everyone knows the Rs would fight tooth and nail, exposing their true identity if anyone is still in doubt.

Democrats will go for any tax under the sun, except the dems from oil states in this case. You realize that an export tax on refined oil and gas would not aleviate the price at the pump here, right? And that those countries who have to pay that higher export cost will reciprocate by raising taxes on their exports to us, right?

So nice of you to be so concerned about poor people

Are these the same poor people that you want to raise taxes on? The same ones you claim drive Escalades and use food stamps to buy filet mignon and lobster?

provide a link to my claims

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/181908-50-of-americans-do-not-pay-income-tax-2.html

followed your link not one word about Escalades and use food stamps to buy filet mignon and lobster? so that makes you a fucking liar.

followed your link not one word about Escalades and use food stamps to buy filet mignon and lobster? so that makes you a fucking liar.

Poetic license

How bout this, every time from now on when you insult the poor about how good they have it.....I'll post it here

Should be fun

Right now, because of where the oil shale is located, they have no other available customers than the US Midwest. Unless China wants to fly it, they have no access. A pipeline to Houston means other nations including China can bid on that oil meaning higher prices

C'mon dude, if we can offer a greater supply of refined oil and gas coming out of Houston, that means overall prices drop. Nobody is going to bid up the price if they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Canada has two options for the pipeline, through the US or through Canada. Going through Canada has it's own environmental challenges plus it has to pass through tribal lands.

Canada is going to sell it to somebody somewhere. Frankly, I'd rather buy it from them than from the middle east.

The US does not gain much in terms of reduced oil prices

Maybe not. Maybe the total amount of oil is not a big deal relative to what we need. But I'd rather have however much it is coming from them, refined here, and shipped out of Houston than refined in China.

Forum List

Back