$3.7 million in stimulus money - and no accountability

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Through December of last year, according to the reporting required by the U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program, Gerber's department had spent $3.7 million and had weatherized a feeble 47 homes in Texas.

That amount comes to a taxpayer cost of $78,000 per home.

Knowing the story was soon going to be posted, Gerber told me he had canvassed the nearly three dozen local entities around the state that were directing the actual weatherizing work on a Friday late in January. Lo, and behold, Gerber found that during that month contractors had done more than 400 homes

When I called the Department of Housing and Community Affairs, their spokesman, Gordon Anderson, told me they did not have the addresses for those units in Houston. Nor could they tell me how much money they were putting into each of the units. "At this point, (weatherization money) sub-recipients" such as Sheltering Arms "are actually not required to submit the street addresses of units weatherized to TDHCA.

"As the Chair of the RAT Board testified late last year, there are a considerable number of recipients who do not report to the Recovery Act because it prescribes no penalties for failure to report." U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said on his Website

State can't provide addresses of Houston homes retrofitted with $3.7 million in stimulus money -- and nonprofit overseeing work won't release addresses | Texas Watchdog

Wow. Sheltering Arms refused to disclose names and addresses using 'HIPPA" as an excuse. Sounds purdy shady to me... :cool:

A good example of the Moral Hazard of Big Government handing out oodles of Other People's Money.

For those who think we can't cut spending - think again.

A good example of the Moral Hazard of Big Government handing out oodles of Other People's Money.

For those who think we can't cut spending - think again.

The closer the spending point comes to the collection point, the closer the watching becomes over the waste.

The Feds should regulate interstate trade, deliver the mail and defend the borders. Anthing else they do results in waste. I'm pretty sure that given even these limits, the Feds wold somehow parley this into deep intrusions into our lives.

The closer the spending point comes to the collection point, the closer the watching becomes over the waste.

The Feds should regulate interstate trade, deliver the mail and defend the borders. Anthing else they do results in waste. I'm pretty sure that given even these limits, the Feds wold somehow parley this into deep intrusions into our lives.

The Feds are responsible for defending The Constitution - a court system is also a proper function.

Forum List

Back