3/4 of Americans favor raising smoking age to 21

Do you support raising smoking age to 21?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • It ain't gonna fly

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
In many states alcohol is restricted to those over 21. But those "youths" keep being killed whilst driving drunk.

So the answer is obvious; raise the drinking age higher! Make it match the Obamacare daffynition of "infancy" to 26 and that'd make all those under-21s so much safer. Just like changing the age for allowing tobacco use!

In many states alcohol is restricted to those over 21. But those "youths" keep being killed whilst driving drunk.

So the answer is obvious; raise the drinking age higher! Make it match the Obamacare daffynition of "infancy" to 26 and that'd make all those under-21s so much safer. Just like changing the age for allowing tobacco use!

In about 45 of our 50 states, minors can legally drink at home with parental permisison or supervision. The laws for alcohol and age were business-related, not public health. Some states have a blood alcohol limit for this underaged drinking, have seen 0.02%, but honestly, who's checking?

Raise it to 100, anyone over that probably isn't going to die from any new bad habit.

Three out of four Americans favor raising smoking age to 21 study says

So, studies say that youth cigarette use drops during the last years. Logically, raising the minimum age to buy tobacco products could further reduce youth smoking rates. What do you think? Do you support the policy of such restrictions on tobacco sales? Would the nation be less addictive to toxic smoke?
If I want to smoke, I want to smoke. The governments should do their work and stop interfering in people´s privacy.

So, studies say that youth cigarette use drops during the last years. Logically, raising the minimum age to buy tobacco products could further reduce youth smoking rates. What do you think? Do you support the policy of such restrictions on tobacco sales? Would the nation be less addictive to toxic smoke?
If I want to smoke, I want to smoke. The governments should do their work and stop interfering in people´s privacy.

I agree but that doesn't mean its not an enormous threat to your health.

Do you really want more kids taking it up?

Raise it to 65

You can smoke when you retire

That´s not the point. And a 16 or 18 years person is not a kid.
Example: How many people´s lifes, including yours, do you risk when you drive a car?

Smoking is such an ugly smelly habit.

Smoking is such an ugly smelly habit.
Others think differently. Accept their freedom.

Smoking never killed anyone. If it did or even could it wouldn't be such a good product.

Everybody dies. And while if you smoke you have a higher CHANCE of various things, the actual 'straw that broke the camel's back' isn't determinable. Was it the smoking, or the hundreds of other things cumulatively that caused the cancer? That's impossible to decide so we blame the obvious one people dislike the most.

If smoking 'caused cancer' then every smoker would develop cancer. Yet only about 40% develop lung cancer. And whether it was the smoking or fireretardant chemicals in clothes, furniture, etc. no one can say.

If you don't wanna smoke, don't smoke. But don't pretend your opposition to those that wish to is about public health or concern over their health. If that were true we'd ban the thousands of cancer-causing chemicals in everyday items, alcohol, junk food, and industry-runoff getting into seafood like mercury.

No one gives a shit about people's health. They only care about kissing ass and winning elections and smoking, like guns, is an easy vote winner.

Of course he's not a kid, but most smokers start to smoke in this age or even earlier because of hidden propaganda. A 16 y.o. person knows nothing about how strong is this addiction.

Of course he's not a kid, but most smokers start to smoke in this age or even earlier because of hidden propaganda. A 16 y.o. person knows nothing about how strong is this addiction.
Why not? Did the school fail to educate 16 years olds on the dangers of smoking? We were even younger when we were confronted with the most disgusting photos of open lung cancer and all that in school. Paternalism should not be a task of the government but education should be instead. We have a pub dying in Germany because the government prohibits smoking in privately owned pubs. The government is taking away the basis of existence from hosts just to "protect" non-smokers that do not go into pubs anyway. This became a craze already.

I think they should drop the drinking age to 3 years old...and give em their licenses ..then there would be fewer idiots falling for Democrat tricks. Most kids today don't pay attention and all they want to do is vote for Hillary.

Why not? Did the school fail to educate 16 years olds on the dangers of smoking?
Yes, school fails to educate on the danger of smoking as well as parents. Or kids just don't buy it.
And a ban will prevent them from smoking, then? I don´t think so. The government should invest in better education and not limit people´s freedom.

getty_rm_photo_of_smog_in_los_angeles.jpg

Will never get support for banning something outright. So you get concessionary bans and restrictions as we see with smoking. Can't smoke in public buildings, government offices, playgrounds, parks, etc. Once the public acclimates to that, go for the next step. Get all smoking eliminated from tv and movies unless it's R-rated. Wait for people to accept that then go for the next step towards a total banning of it. Raise the age.

Because Americans smoking used to be ubiquitos, a complete ban would be very overt and resisted. But if over many years you get it less and less noticed, a full ban becomes very possible.

It's ironic the land of the free isn't as free as the lands with sharia law or communism which allow smoking. :)

Will never get support for banning something outright. So you get concessionary bans and restrictions as we see with smoking. Can't smoke in public buildings, government offices, playgrounds, parks, etc. Once the public acclimates to that, go for the next step. Get all smoking eliminated from tv and movies unless it's R-rated. Wait for people to accept that then go for the next step towards a total banning of it. Raise the age.

Because Americans smoking used to be ubiquitos, a complete ban would be very overt and resisted. But if over many years you get it less and less noticed, a full ban becomes very possible.

It's ironic the land of the free isn't as free as the lands with sharia law or communism which allow smoking. :)
Not really. Obama´s Nato terrorists are destroying cigarettes in Idlib:

Only a matter of time until we face it too.

Forum List

Back